2010 College Football Thread

With the exploding of what could end up being a complete revamp of the confereces as we know them, I figure I'd put the thread out there now.

Boise St is going to the MWC ... you then have the following:

Latest conference speculation

big 12/pac 10 merger ? pac 10 pilfering of the big 12 ? Big Ten expansion ?

Holy crap there's a ton of stuff being thrown around and much of it isn't as far fetched as many people will think.

This would also set up other conferences (such as the MWC) to gain as well. Plenty on the hot stove.

I'm not wanting to sound like I just want to take a swipe at Missouri, because that isn't my intention. However why would the Big Ten be more interested in Missouri, and not Kansas? I certainly understand their interest in Nebraska. The Corn huskers have a rich football history, and from everything I have read, the Big 12 has pretty much broken over Nebraska every chance they got. However what does Missouri offer? They are semi-competitive in both football and basketball, but not a national power in either sport. Kansas could offer you a historic team that would help to give the Big 10 a face of their basketball conference after Tom Izzo leaves Mich State.

I'm not wanting to sound like I just want to take a swipe at Missouri, because that isn't my intention. However why would the Big Ten be more interested in Missouri, and not Kansas? I certainly understand their interest in Nebraska. The Corn huskers have a rich football history, and from everything I have read, the Big 12 has pretty much broken over Nebraska every chance they got. However what does Missouri offer? They are semi-competitive in both football and basketball, but not a national power in either sport. Kansas could offer you a historic team that would help to give the Big 10 a face of their basketball conference after Tom Izzo leaves Mich State.

It's more of a natural fit. They've already got the natural rivalry with Illinois and would provide an easier sell of the conference to a MidWest outlet. Because of the Illinois rivalry people already somewhat pay attention to the Big Ten even if in passing. Compare that to say ... Texas and A&M (and the fanbases) that give a shit less about the Big Ten unless they play in a Bowl Game.

With Mizzou being good in both football and basketball the move wouldn't hurt and it provides the most potential (with existing situations) and fits much better than just trying to artificially create/force a power team into the fold. There's also the fact that Mizzou kind of wants into the Big 10. They also line up much better with the Big 10 as a school and are actually bruised by the Big 12 in that regard.

It's more of a natural fit. They've already got the natural rivalry with Illinois and would provide an easier sell of the conference to a MidWest outlet. Because of the Illinois rivalry people already somewhat pay attention to the Big Ten even if in passing. Compare that to say ... Texas and A&M (and the fanbases) that give a shit less about the Big Ten unless they play in a Bowl Game.

With Mizzou being good in both football and basketball the move wouldn't hurt and it provides the most potential (with existing situations) and fits much better than just trying to artificially create/force a power team into the fold. There's also the fact that Mizzou kind of wants into the Big 10. They also line up much better with the Big 10 as a school and are actually bruised by the Big 12 in that regard.

Add to that that Missouri would add the St. Louis and Kansas City markets and fits the Big 10s stand on academics, it's a much better fit than Kansas (who really would just be good for basketball)

So yeah ... the Big 12 has given Mizzou and Nebraska until the 11th (with possible extension to the 15th) to decide if they'll be exploring leaving or staying with the Big 12.

Story

Tasty Part:

"Nebraska has until 5 p.m. on Friday to tell us what they're going to do," one school official said, adding that he has heard that deadline could be extended to June 15. "The same deal for Missouri. They have to tell us they're not going to the Big Ten or … ."

Or at least six Big 12 schools, including Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech, will be inclined to accept an invitation to join the Pac-10 Conference. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado are the other schools that could leave what would be a dissolving Big 12.

speculation on that

Dear God, that conference would assrape TV ....

Edited by HailtotheKing

Reports are that Nebraska has agreed to go to the Big 10(+1) and this will be announced Friday. Mizzou seems like it will be joining them.

Texas/Texas A&M/Texas Tech/Oklahoma/Oklahoma State/Colorado to the Pac-10 seems to be done as well apparently.

If that's true, the college sports landscape is completely upside down.

Some mid-major conference is about to get an 800-pound gorilla (not in football, however) if they make a timely call to Lawrence, Kansas. I'd love to see them get another spot in the Big Ten, especially if it results in Delany telling Notre Dame to get bent.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure it's real likely, but I can dream.

According to OrangeBlood.Com (who has been all over this story since it broke), Mizzou may not be heading to the Big 10 with Nebraska. It seems as though Mizzou have fallen out of favor with the Big 10, and it appears that Rutgers is the Big 10's backup plan if/when Notre Dame decides on whether or not to join.

I just have to wonder what the fallout for the other conferences is going to be if all of this goes down. Specifically, you know the SEC isn't ABOUT to just take this all in stride. Rumors have already started about them moving to get Florida State and Miami, with possibly Clemson and Virginia Tech also in the works if the "Pac-16" becomes a reality.

I think the MWC should pounce on the Kansas schools. With Boise St joining already, the addition of the Kansas schools would position them really well. Also, if Mizzou is on the outs with the Big 10, I'd be all for them going with the Kansas schools to the MWC. That would be fantastic.

Nebraska Story

Shit is about to the the fan fellas.

I really think the NCAA should nut up and make ND join the Big East, or make a move to a conference. They aren't ND anymore (comparitively) and they leech off the Big East for all of their other sports. Time to pay the piper if you're the Gold Domers. I'd rather see them go to the Big East and have Pitt in the Big Ten, but that's just me.

This is going to be one fun summer.

EDIT - this is a quote from Tidefans.com:

"The SEC intends to expand only into new markets, which would seem to cancel any talk of adding Florida State, Georgia Tech or Clemson, three schools that work their way into the discussion whenever the talk of SEC expansion is broached."

Interesting. So that'd mean a group that included A&M if they went after a Texas school, as UT has already told them they aren't interested.

Edited by HailtotheKing

This may be a stupid question, but whatever.

If/when the Big 12 is pillaged (or any other conference, for that matter), do the changes (with regards to opponents) take place for this upcoming season, or will the changes not actually affect the games that are played until 2011? The reason I'm asking is because most of the TV contracts which are currently in place don't expire until the 2011 season, IIRC.

Edited by Mysterio2000X

I think it would be impossible to implement all of these changes for this season when schedules (the least of all the work to be done) and what not have already been created.

EDIT: Not to detract from this conference chaos mess, but Oregon kicked their star quarterback off the team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5268741

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said Sunday that expansion could happen in phases. Nebraska is certainly Phase 1, but others could follow in the coming weeks and months.

So clearly

Phase 1: Nebraska

Phase 2: ???

Phase 3: Big Profit