Football Manager 2011

Dan

After getting back into Football Manager this weekend I've managed to get Nottingham Forest promoted, winning the Championship. I've brought in Charlie Adam for £4.1 Million and Mido on a free so far. I have around 16 Million left to spend, so I was wondering if anyone has any tips on good players to bring in? I could do with players in pretty much every position. I tried to get Carroll from a relegated Newcastle, but they wanted £10 Million.

You're about a week or so behind me. ;) I'm currently heading into November in my first Premier League season for Forest.

Nathaniel Clyne has been a pretty badass full-back for me, although I signed him in the previous January. Kaspars Gorkss has also been a good centre-back but at the moment isn't really distinguishing himself as being better than Chambers or Lynch though.

Those are my two signings that I would recommend the most. Obviously if you can get some badass free transfers like Owen Hargreaves then more power to you, but I think I was just lucky there. Ciaran Clark has been dubious thus far but I think he's just having a difficult time settling in.

And as a parallel to your attempt at Carroll, I tried to pry Darren Bent away from a relegated Aston Villa...but alas, they rejected £8m and I wasn't prepared to go any higher. My pick-up of Michael Owen on a free transfer has been average thus far - only 2 goals in 9 appearances - but I recently tweaked his role from Deep Lying Forward to Complete Forward and I think this could help. As will playing shitter teams for a while... :shifty:

Badly.

Anyway, Forest guy, try and get Gibbs on loan from Arsenal. Stok did a good move, and when Clark settles he will play well. Look at Barry Bannan too. A classy central midfield option. Kikin Fonseca is a Mexican striker who served me well when I was on a budget.

When I got Real Madrid in the Qtrs of the Champs League, I was honestly quite worried. First leg at home though, so I figured I could get a narrow lead to take with me. A RvP brace sent me into jubilation - then of course, he got injured and I brought a recently fit Doumbia on - and he got a brace. 4 - 0 going into the second leg. Very much so pleased and already in the semi's in my mind.

I know the amazing feeling of beating Madrid in the quarter's. I managed to beat them on penalties after holding out for an overall 3-3 draw. I lost to Manchester City in the semi's, but watching a virtual Ronaldo miss a penalty was glorious nonetheless.

Semi's I'll have Milan or Roma. Milan won the first leg 5 - 1. So I guess it'll be Milan. Going great in the league. I'm third. One point behind second, with two games in hand over both the clubs above me. In the FA Cup Semi's against Man United too.

I've been offered the managers job at Catania. They were Europa League quarter finalists, recently finished runners up in Serie A two seasons ago.

Do I stay at Viking and try to win the league, or go to Catania and try my hand at managing what may be a rising club in Serie A?

Anyone possibly able to help? I have an Argentinian goalkeeper who I signed as a kid - he's pretty awesome. Obviously got the work permit alright to get him here - it's just he keeps getting refused one for a new contract. Any ideas as to why this might be?

I believe once they're here they need to play in something like 95% of first team matches they're available for (actual figure probably lower) for either you or their national side (both). I've not had many non-eu players on a FM game for a while and those that have were regular first team and international players so not been an issue for me :$

Also could it've been one of those where he was granted a work permit under the proviso he goes on loan abroad as sometimes happens?

Edited by lanky316

You stay at the club Hobo. Or you save the file and take the other team as a new save just incase you don't like it and can go back to Viking at the least.

Playing as Southampton, up against Oxford in the League Cup and I thought I was unorthodox as a L1 team with a 4-3-3 formation. Newly promoted to L2 and Oxford are lining up with the 4-1-2-2-1 formation that caused me so many problems on last years game.

Wow, he's not *that* awesome >_> Dude's only 20, after all.

How long has he been at your club? Check his personal tab to see how many days he has left to gain a second nationality. Assuming you are managing in England, I'm guessing a lot (more than 730). If thats the case you need to try and loan him out to a club in a nation that gives out passports quicker (Belgium and Poland only take 2 years), it'll be easier if you ask your board for a second nationality feeder club.

If he's got less than 730 days, you might be able to keep him around on a rolling month to month contract till he gets a UK passport, but the likelihood is he will be poached by another club before that happens.

I think also Argentinians can gain Spanish nationality in less time than other nationalities.

All South American countries (maybe not Brazil though, not sure) will gain Spanish nationality in 2 years. Whereas it'll be 5 in England and the like.

Brazil/Portugal, nothing to do with Spain, maybe?

I decided to accept the Catania job after they agreed to allow to to move at the end of the Norwegian season. This doesn't really benefit them as they will go half a season without a manager. :shifty:

But it does allow me to continue to chase the league with Viking.

I'm so close to seeing a Stephen Fry takeover of Norwich in my game. I'm in my 6th season and this is the second or third attempt at a takeover at Norwich, so hopefully its Fry or Deliah's turn.

My Tottenham world is falling apart. A new consortium (lead by JOSH JACKSON!?!?) is trying to take over and wants to replace me with Jose Q. Nobody...then my surprise packet striker wants to quit..then my 45 million quid acquisitiion Marek Hamsik packs it in and wants to leave after just one season...

My Tottenham world is falling apart. A new consortium (lead by JOSH JACKSON!?!?) is trying to take over and wants to replace me with Jose Q. Nobody...then my surprise packet striker wants to quit..then my 45 million quid acquisitiion Marek Hamsik packs it in and wants to leave after just one season...

I signed Hulk for Villa... he did the same, wanker. Worst £18m ever.

Joined Liverpool in the off-season between 2nd and 3rd season. Luis Suarez, Dirk Kuyt and Fernando Torres front 3 = goals (Y)