Batman: Arkham City

Johnny Latino Heat

I actually quite like the look, fits with the game's style. Not too sure about the cage fighter bit though, seems a bit wierd, but we shall see

Is it just me, or has making someone a cage fighter become like the biggest cop-out way of 'Hmm. We need to make this character cool...'

It is. This feels like '90s-esque trendwhoring. "We need to make this game DARKER and EDGIER quick let's dress Harley Quinn up like a goth raver 17-year-old and make Robin a buff, older CAGE FIGHTER, the kids will love it!"

The game will probably be good but this stuff actually makes me want to buy it less.

To be fair these are two minor issues though, I doubt you'd really end up noticing them that much. Isn't Robin just for DLC extra challenges anyway? And Harley Quinn... eh, I'm sure she's not that main an enemy. I'll agree that I'm not so keen on it either, but at the end of the day the reason we're all looking forward to the game is that Arkham had awesome gameplay and the story was pretty classic Batman. (apart from the terrible ending)

I don't think Quinn looking like a massive cliche is really going to affect how awesome it feels to swoop down and take out a random thug like Batman or how epic it'll be soaring around Gotham city. It's Escape from New York with the Batman cast in the form of an awesome video game. Come on now.

You underestimate what a nitpicky comic geek I am. THESE THINGS MATTER TO ME.

Also, I did phrase my statement wrong: it makes me want to buy it immediately less. There's no way I won't own it at some point but I could see myself waiting until Amazon has a Black Friday sale or it pops up on eBay for $20.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the first I'm seeing of the Robin angle they're taking, and frankly I like it - I agree that the whole 'boy wonder' angle is getting old and something would be needed to replace it, the idea that he cage fights in his spare time, etc. seems to fit the character model that they're going for and I see it fitting the game. I'm open to it.

As far as character concepts in this game goes, The Penguin as Guy Ritchie Villain is way better than most of the others I've seen thusfar.

Plus,

BORN ON A MONDAY

:w00t:

Whether Robin is a gymnast, orphan or cage fighter he will always suck in the eyes of most Batman fans. I can understand why they would need to put on a modern slant on his character but it never works when anyone deviates too far from the source material. It's still not half as bad as them making The Joker into a Rastafarian in the most recent cartoon series, though.

I just haven't met a Batman fan who has ever had anything good to say about the character.

Uh. Do you talk to actual fans of the comics rather than the movies? I mean, this is my comic purist snob coming out here and all but seriously.