Civilization Thread!

Ruki

Not always. It's insane for Venice, because more turns = more money.

Pretty much everything takes longer, aside from trade routes, and costs are increased.

No Bismark, I didn't join your war against Poland in the last game, I didn't join it in the game before that, and I'm not joining it in this game.

So I just played a game as Venice with my "fuck building monuments, i want a granary" strategy and won science in the 1930's, which could've come sooner if I'd timed the (extremely late on purpose) Oxford build better.

YOUR MOVE, MICK.

The end-game in a Science victory just never goes fast enough. I'm generating over 2,500 science per turn, but still have half a dozen techs to research at maybe 5 turns each (Quick game) and so it just draaaaaags.

(Yes, in the end I went for science victory as Carthage. I conquered my own continent first, of course - although I let Athens live since they were kind enough to offer up Corinth *and* Argos to me in surrender and so save me time in conquering them.)

• Like 1

Nah, that's cool, you go ahead and keep building superfluous monuments as Gandhi instead. :shifty:

I built one, used the +3 Culture to get the free one but sold it before.

:\ And Heisenberg just spawned outside Mumbai.

My run of starting new games continues, Ethiopia right now, spreading Catholicism far and wide.

I'm quite pleased at spreading it to Mecca. :shifty:

• Like 1

This particular game was awesome because Rome declared war and threw a bunch of catapults right into the teeth of my archers that transformed into gatling guns because SORCERY. Got a city out of it and Rome never acted up again.

I built one, used the +3 Culture to get the free one but sold it before.

I forgot to ask: how much gold do you get for doing that? I still can't imagine it'd be worth it; in the early game, my priorities are

Food > Production > Research > Units > Culture > Happiness > Cash > Being next door to Shaka > First-person shooters > Nickelback

See, those are better reasons to go to war than just horses.

Also, I wanted Cologne because it was on my side of the continent but I got really pissed off when those horses were just out of my reach and Bismark got to them first!

So I was trying to win via cultural victory in my game with Japan. Greece and I shared a huge border, and Greece were being jerks. So after fending off an unprovoked invasion in the Medieval Era I worked on resuming my focus on Culture. But I soon saw forces mounting at the border. Just in time I was able to build Cannons, so I built a ton of them and Samurai (who I upgraded soon to Riflemen). I stormed in and took all their cities in a little over 30 turns. Eat shit Alexander.

Now, I have the biggest civilization in the world. So I'm guessing I might be gunning for a Domination win now. France is so puny (and I share a border with them) that I could probably take them out in like 3 turns. After that I could resume my focus on Culture I suppose.

Right. I got a double DoW from Monty and Ramesses, so I'm thinking Monty is going to be the problem because he's at my less-protected south flank, and worst of all my trade routes were all pillaged by barbs, so I have no money (good ol' Pangaea!). Lo and behold, Ramesses comes cruising up in this fucking Siege Tower, presumably with all the windows down, blasting Chamillionaire, giving Umgungundlovu the finger as he tears through it like fucking tissue paper.

Fuck it, I'm playing as Ashurbanipal next. REVENGE.

• Like 3