Civilization Thread!

Ruki

Speaking of that particular gambit, game just ended. I was probably fifteen turns from winning science when I accidentally won diplo (I was everyone's friend because I had no coal).

I just saw the Bollywood achievement on Steam to win culture as Gandhi with 3 cities. I think I'll try that next.

Yesterday, I had one of my best games ever as Venice. I got far ahead on research, I was developing like crazy. There are probably only two Wonders I don't have, both either Ancient or Classical. I manged to get my culture to influential on everyone, all before the Atomic age.

Then I wondered why the game didn't end.

It turns out I had set it on Domination only.

At least I have a major technological edge to beat everyone :shifty:

I know what you guys are going to say, but in my defense, I started it the day before and yesterday I was extremely tired.

The thing I hate about Venice is it's hard to think of the playbook for other Civs after getting Venice's playbook down. In my mind, it's always beeline for Writing, build the Great Library, pick up Mining and Bronze Working, head for Currency, and from there it's an adjustment based on the terrain.

Tried to play multiplayer with Ace last night. Spent the first fifteen turns of the game Micking It. First I thought I had my warrior selected, but then moved my settler out of ideal spot - costing me two turns of production. Then I didn't notice that said warrior had been attacked and weakened by a newly spawned barbarian unit, and suicided it into the encampment.

• Like 1

Damn damn damn, this is so tempting. Might use the money I got from distant aunts/uncles recently to put it on the steam wallet and buy some TF2 keys to trade for the game. Think it'd be about $17 worth for BNW and $9 for the upgrade, if the price stays consistent among those communities.

My war with Poland didn't go as planned - Brazil used the opportunity to make peace with Poland rather than being thankful for our assistance and trying to get their cities back, Japan wound up more bothered with the Iroquois than actually taking down Poland, and me and Poland wound up at something of a stalemate. I think the only way I'm going to win this now is by pure dumb luck, because Poland have the clear lead in everything but science (which was my intended victory anyway).

Irritating start to a game as last night. Picked Carthage - arbitrarily - with the intention of a domination victory, only to discover that I start in the opposite corner of my continent to the other three civs I share it with (Mayans, Poland, Greece - is it just me, or are Poland in every bloody game?). So I go into expansion/"land grab" overdrive and have over a dozen cities before I get anywhere near any of their borders.

Given that I'm already up to the kind of Chivalry/Eduction/etc. level of science and haven't had one war yet, it makes me wonder whether a domination victory is really feasible and whether I should just say "screw it, space race".

I'm not sure if I should be learning a lesson about being flexible in my goals or a lesson to pick one and drive it through all the way to the end. :shifty:

After reading about the toe-curling orgasms that Venice seem to induce, I've decided to give them a go. It flies completely against my usual 'massive expansion' style of play. Should be a challenge.

In my one Venice game, I had China hanging around the outskirts of one of my puppet states, following a short war a couple of hundred years back. With the money I had, 6 turns later I had amassed an army on the border, and China decided against attacking me in the end.

So yeah, you can also mix it up fairly easy from a military standpoint.

Won't be playing for a few days since I'm on vacation and only have my laptop. Before I left, i started a new game with a random civilization and wound up with Mongolia. Holy crap everyone declared war on me fast! Issabella went from denouncing me to issuing a declaration of friendship then declaring war on me in the span of 4 turns. At one point was at war with Spain, Babylon, Austria and Japan at the same time. I wasn't going to go to total warfare, but now that everyone is declaring war on me left and right, I'm going for a domination victory. Might as well embrace the Mongol image...