Civilization Thread!

Ruki

1 hour ago, MDK said:

If you like to war then pick Germany. I think you get a bonus for attacking city states and you can build up a big empire early doors by taking over city states instead of training settlers

Ugh, I just started a game as Germany planning om doing this. But instead of  being able to attack the city-states around me, I had mass amounts of barbarian camps spawn all around me and had to take care of them. By the time I had taken care of them and turned to the City-States, i had the AI surprise war me from the other side and the City-States had already started to spam out units like crazy.

Germany's big advantage isn't rolling over city-states, it's the Hansa, which is cheap as hell for a building that enhances production, and you can very easily build your cities so you're zig-zagging Hansas and Commercial Hubs to get ridiculous bonuses. Getting Industrial Zones up and running is usually a big barrier to getting good production rolling if you've got nothing to chop, but Germany can do it super-fast.

One thing that guide doesn't mention is that Civ's AI actually has one setting and the difficulty is actually how fast the AI civs produce compared to you.

That being said on Settler you can pretty much have to be trying to lose to not win, you can still get a good idea of how the game strategies though.

10 hours ago, Pooker said:

Ugh, I just started a game as Germany planning om doing this. But instead of  being able to attack the city-states around me, I had mass amounts of barbarian camps spawn all around me and had to take care of them. By the time I had taken care of them and turned to the City-States, i had the AI surprise war me from the other side and the City-States had already started to spam out units like crazy.

I must have got lucky in my Germany game. Just took 4-5 city states early on and it set me up perfectly for the rest of the game.

9 hours ago, Sousa said:

Germany's big advantage isn't rolling over city-states, it's the Hansa, which is cheap as hell for a building that enhances production, and you can very easily build your cities so you're zig-zagging Hansas and Commercial Hubs to get ridiculous bonuses. Getting Industrial Zones up and running is usually a big barrier to getting good production rolling if you've got nothing to chop, but Germany can do it super-fast. 

Early in the game it is a massive advantage though

9 hours ago, MDK said:

I must have got lucky in my Germany game. Just took 4-5 city states early on and it set me up perfectly for the rest of the game.

Early in the game it is a massive advantage though

I think mine was just bad luck. Had three city-states to the north of me that I could have easily taken out but had three barb camps that all aggro'd at basically the same time. And right as I managed to take care of all of them, one of the two civs to the south of me surprised warred me and I had to send what troops I had to battle them. I managed to save my capital from them but that was only because I managed to convince the other civ there to join my side.

By the time the war ended, I had enough cities established and unlocked the Hansa, and didn't need the city states any more.

2 hours ago, JeReindeer said:

I booted up Civ 5 for the first time in a while to kill some time in my afternoon. The Greeks are dicks.

Was SO DAMN CLOSE to a science victory and they fucking sneaked in with a diplomatic victory as I made the last piece.

Fuck you, Alexander.

ILbkTDZ.png

• Haha 1

On 19/02/2019 at 11:07, JeReindeer said:

I booted up Civ 5 for the first time in a while to kill some time in my afternoon. The Greeks are dicks.

Was SO DAMN CLOSE to a science victory and they fucking sneaked in with a diplomatic victory as I made the last piece.

Fuck you, Alexander.

Greece is so, so obnoxious in Civ 5. Almost always a top contender for a win, builds lots of cities and does city-state diplomacy well but also builds a shitload of units so they're hard to take on in military. Just always bad news if they're on the map.

(Alexander is a pain in Civ 6 too but mostly because his leader agenda is "WHY ARE YOU NOT CONSTANTLY AT WAR!?!?!??????")

Yeah, he'd sort of built around me so I had no way of expanding past 3-4 cities with the map layout and he'd blocked off the sea border I had. Then at one World Congress his number of delegates nearly doubled and it turned out there was an entire archepelago of islands with city states he'd allied with that I'd never even managed to visit since he wouldn't open his borders. 

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Sousa said:

Canada is so bad that I almost posted a clip from Family Guy over it.

Oh no :(

(Not that I have the DLC. Or have played the game in over a year.... still a little disappointing that Canada's first appearance is lame)

I just looked up Canada's entry in the Civ Fandom wiki... They try to be polite, let's put it that way. :lol:

Strategy

Canada is a rather underpowered civilization, especially when compared to the civilization and leader lineup for Gathering Storm. This strategy section will explain their weaknesses and how to play around them to maximize the potential of the civilization.

The Last Best West

This is the most underwhelming part of Canada, since Laurier's bonuses can be broken into three parts, none of which is significant enough to have an impact. First and foremost, you do not want to build Tundra Farms, even if you are allowed to.

It carries on in that vein.

Even with the ability to build farms on them, tundra sucks shit. I had 3-4 cities with at least some tundra and none of them got any good (including my capital)--meanwhile, the typical Grassland River Plus Plenty Of Hills city I founded just to the north ended up being one of the best cities I've ever founded, and there was nothing at all Canadian about it.

The best thing I'll say is I had a pretty easy time getting some National Parks together with them (which is how I used... pretty much all my tundra/snow that wasn't ice hockey rinks) and once that happened my culture victory started rolling in. They really, definitely need something else though, maybe having National Parks available with an earlier tech or making Naturalists cheaper or something.

Still not as bad as Georgia but apparently Georgia is better now so, I dunno.

Well we all know who to blame:

The playtesters.

8 hours ago, Ruki said:

...that was a fun video. I feel like I am gonna watch much more of his stuff.

My first video from his was about, I think, Prison Architect, and I thought the same exact thing.  I really love this guy

I think Civ 6 is a worse game than 5. But it is superior in Hot Seat and allie modes. Allies on Civ 5 felt like two people running the same Civ with different leaders. On Civ 6 you are much more like allies rather than the same unit.