Civilization Thread!

Ruki

I'll be honest, the past few games I've done have been on Chieftain, largely because it had been since August since I played, and I really want to get a feel for not being Venice.

So, last night's game on Warlord....as Venice :shifty:

Small Map, Archipelago. The other five civs consist of France, England, Poland, Sweden, and the Inca. I initially get off to a slow start, and while I grab the Great Library and Stonehenge, other wonders start going up fast. I'm on a crap little island with few resources, so getting the economy off is a bit tricky. I actually linger in the middle of the pack for a while, growing frustrating as France starts building certain wonders (Chichen Itza, for instance). I realize it's time to get my ass in gear, and start focusing on the technology I'm going to need for a culture victory, in this case, getting the Sistine Chapel and whatever else will boost my culture.

I decide that a little subterfuge is in order to knock France down a beg, so I bribe the English into attacking France. Nothing really comes from this, but it buys me enough time to start getting head, and once I reach the Renaissance the situation begins to improve. Once I get to the Modern age (first, thankfully), England starts it's own push, which I manage to subvert by paying for the Inca to go to war with. This does not end well for the Incans, as the English steamroll in and purge the Incans from my game, doing me a favor (hey, one less nation to influence). It's smooth sailing from there, with the best part winning in the 80's by sending in a Great Musician to Sweden for the last push. The GM in question?

ROCK ME, AMADEUS!

I'm debating who I want to go for my next game, probably Korea or Poland.

Who are peoples' best favourite choice for culture games at the moment? And why?

I'm looking for a new civ to play for a culture game as i've done Songhai like a zillion times (mud pyramids! and gold gold gold!).

Edited by snakesonaplane

I don't like Culture that much because it feels like you're making no progress until you can build Broadcast Towers and the like. At least with Science you feel like you're making progress by surviving and trying to keep ahead of the rest of the world. With Culture, you're just kind of standing around with your dick in your hand until you can actually get any tourism... which isn't until mid-game at least.

I feel like Science and culture goes hand in hand though? If you can get a science lead you can grab the culture buildings you want quicker, as well as relevant wonders... without sacrificing too much on the tech path. I'm a wonder-spammer at heart so cultural victory is my natural victory condition, as much as I love war it's way too easy to win, and they still haven't fixed the AI enough for me to stand the warmonger penalties.

Edited by snakesonaplane
  • Like 1

I feel like Science and culture goes hand in hand though? If you can get a science lead you can grab the culture buildings you want quicker, as well as relevant wonders... without sacrificing too much on the tech path. I'm a wonder-spammer at heart so cultural victory is my natural victory condition, as much as I love war it's way too easy to win, and they still haven't fixed the AI enough for me to stand the warmonger penalties.

It largely depends on how well you've developed, and the priorities you've set. I've had late cultural victories and I've had early cultural victories; it all depends, really.

Tonight I did a game as: Polynesia! Science victory in 1962; I could've won earlier, but I decided to fuck with the Americans after Georgie went all Marxist on me (That's right. George Washington was a communist!) I was in complete control, too; pretty fun. My basic strategy was: Beeline for Education, beeline for....whatever the one that gives you harbors, ?????, WIN.

Though, I had two cities doing most of the work. Honolulu focused on non-culture wonders while Samoa built up the culture. I went tradition, but I was forced to break my own 4-city rule after finding some strategic land. My opponents were the Aztecs, Assyrians, Indonesians, Americans and Egyptians. Grabbing the faith wonders really, really helped, it was amusing to see upon winning that there was a religion yet to be founded (while Indonesia founded their religion first, and I was second, the Assyrians couldn't get there's off the ground, and my god, the pressure coming out of Honolulu was sick).

Not a bad victory.

WHO TO PLAY AS NEXT?!

Currently doing Korea, aiming for space.

The other civs are the Shoshone, China, Assyria, Morocco, and Carthage. Everyone hates China, and I'm happy because it keeps them off me :shifty: . Every time I see "so and so declares war on Wu Zeitan!", it makes my heart warm.

Holy Cow....

I'm playing on an huge map of Earth as Korea, and my start location is where (our) Jerusalem is. Mt Sinai! King Solomon's Mines! By turn 10, from an abundance of ruins, Seoul had grown to size 4.

Best. Start. Ever.

(Watch, Shaka will be one of my neighbors <_< . )

I do random every time. Last night I got Korea for the first time ever, and I was a bit astounded at how good they are. By 1400i had 40 population producing 210 science. I actually did start next to Shaka on my game, I went out and smacked him for bullying city states.

I've usually always behind on research, so I'm enjoying this game.

• Like 1

I'm doing Babylon again right now. I am not daring. :shifty:

Though to be fair, with Babylon all you're really getting is a very good UA and everything else kind of sucks. But the recent Rome game felt like playing a higher difficulty because Rome just gets nothing fun at all.