Civilization Thread!

Ruki

Huh, maybe five makes the difference then, I suppose that would make the difference in time it takes to take more caps. I just standard everything, so 8 Civs (including myself), standard map size, and map type depending on my Civ, and less Civs means less time between turns.

Well, I set it for five mainly because, as I said, playing tall is just too freaking easy. My tall games, the exception being Austria, nearly always go like this:

Build four cities (total)

Max out tradition

In the meantime, get Stonehenge for early religion; Pantheon is Fertility Rights (+10% growth), Religious Beliefs are: Tithe (+1 gold for every 4 citizens following the religion), Swords into Plowshares (+15% Growth Rate), the one that gives 1% production up to 15% for every follower, and the one that spreads religion 25% faster (50% with Printing Press).

Each city builds, in order (excluding capital) Shrine, Worker, Library, Market, then adjusted as needed

Capital begins to wonder-whore like mad.

Policies taken for whatever victory I want (Patronage for Diplomatic, Aesthetics for Culture, ALWAYS Commerce and the path leading to science from trading posts and +17% science to universities in Rationalism_.

Ideology varies between Freedom and Order; Order is fucking spectacular for Culture victories

Bribe the shit out of City-States

That's my tall game, and why I want to start playing wide. Hell, I'm thinking my next game I might go wide with Shaka or Bismark. Though, the last time I played Shaka (Tiny map, four civs) it was myself on one continent, with Morocco, Siam and India (who I didn't even get to meetkill thanks to Morocco :( ) on the other, and quickly evolved into nothing but Impi's running amok, attacking from both sides. Kerrigan would've been proud :shifty: .

Overall, this means I've won with:

The Huns, Rome, Arabia, Venice (a lot :shifty:), Korea, Babylon, Persia, Poland, Austria, China, The Zulus, India, Morocco, Egypt, Greece, Polynesia, and Siam.

I want to play about more with the map size and opponents too, I think having less opponents might make going to higher difficulties a bit more enjoyable.

Also, I tried one of the scenarios last night (Scramble For Africa), I don't really understand what the goal is beyond "get a big score", and if that's the only goal I don't think I'll enjoy it <_<

1969 Diplomatic Victory as Portugal, going my normal tradition route. Neighbors included the Polynesians, Celts, Indians....And Alexander.

I guess the Feitoria is okay, there were some areas where I couldn't build it, but the problem with that is, with my playstyle, they become useless once I start making my push toward allying the city-states. The Nau is okay too. I was pumping them out as fast as I can from my three coastal cities and sending them to the nearest city-states, then disbanding. It wasn't too bad a strategy.

And now, the highlight of the game: ALEXANDER. He's going disgustingly wide, and the straw that breaks the camel's back is when he double-crosses me on a stop spreading religion deal. I send the fleet (Four frigates and a privateer), to take out a coastal city, and the second they show up and start firing, he quickly offers a peace treaty, giving me the town. I annex it since it could be a useful foothold in the near future.

So...later on, KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE(I'm still waiting for the rest of his name, it was like, three episodes ago :shifty: ), offers me a "Declare war on Al!" deal, which I accept since I can wage war without diplomatic problems. So, I barge in and proceed to chew up his territory, taking most of it before he can offer the peace deal (10 turns!). He does so and agrees to become a vassal (thanks to a mod).

Well....fuck that shit. Wiped him out for being a smug asshole :shifty: .

Overall, I can see the pros of Portugal, but they just didn't do much for me.

Warlord :shifty:; about six hours, maybe. Probably going to move up to Prince if I can JUST GET A GODDAMN DECENT START AS BRAZIL.

(seriously, everytime I play as Brazil, I get neighbors in close proximity, or asshole neighbors like Monty. I JUST WANT A CULTURE WIN :( ).

Out of curiosity, what difficulty is everybody playing on, and how long does it usually take to finish a game in real time?

Normally whatever is medium (Prince, I think), normally normal speed, random map and whatever size map I pick, I usually put double the amount of civs. Sometimes, even on a duel map, I max out the amount of civ's just for fun.

That's because Lawler's music is a section of Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" called "The Great Gate at Kiev."

OH COME ON.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer's "Pictures at an Exhibition", surely. Mussorgsky just did one of the slightly better known cover versions of the 1970s prog rock opus.