Civilization Thread!

Ruki

The Maya are alright. Space Victory in 2004, Large map (Cause like hell I'm going wide on standard :shifty:), other civs were Egypt, Siam, Morocco and the Aztecs. Monty knocked out Egypt, everything was cool, then I paid Siam to go to war with Morocco (largely because Siam was getting away with it). Pyramids are cool, but the one thing I hate about the Mayans are the damn colors. It was tough to see my own territory :( .

I don't know!

I don't (usually, unless I'm a warmonger) fight wars, I don't cheat, I just hit "Next Turn" or I have Auto turn on (which I'm going to stop using :shifty: )....

Why, how long do you guys take? :shifty:

About 8 hours.

My first Zulu game went bad when Alexander went Rifling 20ish turns before I could have. He took back Sparta and 1 of my cities, I got Embargoed at Congress, and I was completely marginalized with no realistic win condition. Ulundi wasn't falling anytime soon, but the writing was on the wall. My second Zulu game still on Emperor is going much better. It's on Pangaea, and I've run through Persia, taken every Russian city except Moscow, and am currently 2 on 1 against the Malis with the Ottomans coming hard from the East and myself coming in from the West. Once that's done, I'll go take Moscow, and I should be able to run through England pretty easily come Rifling. Ottomans will be a battle, but I'll have 3/4s of the continent producing for me.

1970 Culture Victory as the Mayans :shifty: .

Peaceful game. I went tall for happiness reasons, and once I hit the Industrial Era, I took off. I was closing in on Space and Diplomatic victories as well, so, one of the easier games on Prince I've done.

I like that the Pyramid is better than the Shrine in so many ways. I almost want to say scientifically speaking, the Mayans are better than Babylon.

How many cities do you use for culture victories, Mick?

Or how many cities does the AI build for you on auto-turn? :shifty:

EDIT: To clarify, I got that he means the auto-end turn feature in the option menu, but calling it auto-turn makes it sound like he uses an AI to do the turn for him.

It depends, really. Usually three or four. Four seems to be the magic number when you're going tradition, but I have won culture victories with less, including Venice (which I mean to say, I didn't use the Merchant to buy a city).

The auto-turn was a feature I was using, but no more. I don't even have the workers running around doing my shit for me. The last couple games I've played have been normal turns, because I've gotten tired of the turn auto-skipping on me when I need to do something.

Welp...*APPARENTLY* once you reinstall BNW it resets all your options so I just lost to time victory despite me NEVER HAVING IT ON.

In fairness, if I reach 2050, I feel like I probably deserved to lose :P Though I do turn it off because it is the worst.

Also, holy shit are the Impi terrible on the defensive. I made the stupid mistake of not finishing off some Civs after I took their caps, and it came back to haunt me, resulting in three Civs declaring war on me and not being able to hold my front and having to fall back a little (only lost cities I puppeted for resource happiness/trading, so nothing essential, and no caps). Should still be winnable once I finish what I should've done in the first place, just an annoying setback and stupid rookie mistake to have made on my part.

There's only a couple reasons I can think of not to burn a city to the ground...

1) It'll be a future staging ground

2) It has a wonder in it.

Other than those two...burn baby burn :shifty:

It was also partially because it was a staging ground for my movements into Japan (north) and Russia (south), plus it had Lake Victoria. I wiped out Japan, but Russia backstabbed me before I could move back down south, and then others followed suit. Like I say, not a major loss, but it'll set me back a tiny bit.

What I found worked well with the Zulu was pure Zerg tactics. Overrun the bastards and let God sort them out.

I'm starting to think that the Maya may actually be better overall than Babylon for science. Consider this. A tall Mayan empire, at four cities, will come close to equaling the tile that the Great Scientist from Babylon can build. Early on, no doubt it's Babylon, but once that fourth city has the pyramid built, it's equal footing. Then you figure the bonuses from Libraries on up, or the right pantheon choice (The +2 science from city connections, though there's better I think), and the fact that the Mayans can crap out their own Great Scientist. If you go wide than it creates an even larger disparity.

Overall...I like the Mayans. They're fun to play, and right now probably next to Poland in my mind for best overall civilization. A great person every 340 years is huge. It means a boost to science, a key wonder you need, a boost to culture, a free golden age, or that one resource that's just out of reach. It's very tough in my mind to beat a bonus like that, though the seven potential free policies that Poland gets makes it a bit even.

The question is...who do I want to be today?

Started a new game, 7 others, in the four corners map. Ended up Attilla, Had Poland on my map in bottom-right. Going clockwise from me was Monty and Napoleon, Babylon and Alexander, and William and the Ethopians. Took Poland quickly then marched on Monty and wiped him out.

Then EVERYBODY warred me.

Eep.

Took William as he was the first to send units towards me. Then Babylon tried to march on my Capital through the back door while Alexander tried to sail on Monty's lands that i'd taken. I am holding those two lines well while my standing army is maneuvering to eliminate Ethiopia (might as well while i'm in that corner. Given that Alexander and Babylon are in the same corner of the map it may be wise to leave them to last, but OTOH France does have the Great Wall so I might take some heavy attrition.