Civilization Thread!

Ruki

I misread that as Kesha and am now imagining a UU that defeats enemies with bad music

God...

Just had probably my roughest game of Civ yet.

Venice, Diplomatic Victory on turn 449 .

Yeesh.

Standard size map, standard speed, large islands, 8 civs, the others being Siam, Rome, The Inca, America, Denmark, Russia, and The Celts. Siam and Rome ended up in a perpetual stalemated war with each other. The I notice Rome is Hostile. Okay, fine. Then all of a sudden Caesar is Friendly. Um, what? I know how this is going, so I pump out four Great Galleas (I don't know the plural :shifty: to defend, but nothing comes of it. Then I upgrade them to Frigates, pump out a Privateer, and send them after one of his island cities after he says I can't do anything about him bullying a city-state. Well, surprise surprise. Later on, another war sees me burning two of his cities to the ground, the island city being forfeited during peace and being burned, and he left me the hell alone. I crippled him anyway with an embargo.

This did not set well with the rest of the world, as the fleet made it's way home, my neighbors to the south, the Inca, declare war and send their fleet in, which I smash. I nearly take one of his cities but he give me a very generous peace offer, letting me get my economy back on track. Then I notice the Russians, sending their fleet in, and having set up two cities on my flanks as staging points. Blow up the fleet, burn the cities, and make my way to the Russian mainland. I take one city...surely she'll want peace, right? Nope! I take St. Petersburg, she's down to Moscow and another city on an island. Nope! I take Moscow, and she suddenly wants peace. After that, Denmark took out her last city, taking Catherine out of the game.

Everyone starts denouncing me, but nobody has the balls to fight after I effectively won three separate wars. The game is static, but nobody gets into a position to win except me, playing my cards just right to get enough votes for the diplomatic victory. Thankfully, closed borders between everyone stopped the big cultures from gaining ahead, and all the fighting meant nobody was ready to start the space race.

The game was a bitch, and after a crap start with Poland on large islands again, I'm done with that. If I want islands, I'll do archipelago.

So turns out you can pretty much circumnavigate the Earth map with an embarked unit? I discover that I am in fact alone in North America and also alone in the Americas....Unless you are the Mongols. (Sorry. Had to be done.) I'm aiming for a cultural victory, so I found a second city in approximately Nebraska to utilize the Iron that appeared nearby (Maybe a little west of Nebraska. America feels quite squished, horizontally) I founded a third in Mexico because the Mexican landmass is one tile across so I can use it to allow my naval units to jump from the Atlantic to the Pacific Oceans quite easily., and I decide that instead of the four cities I normally play with as India, I'm going to take the Mongols' two cities for a total of five and span my empire from the USA to Brazil. Then he founds a third city on the tip of South America just before I war him. I take that city effortlessly and i'm marching on the capital when he peaces me and offers his second city in the offering. I accept it, spend the treaty and an extra fifteen turns solidifying the USA and making sure I hit the wonders I want (I missed a couple early, and I get a pair of key Great Engineers allowing me to hit Pisa and...one other, I forget which.) then I take the Mongol capital in two turns.

I'm positively swimming in spare luxury resources so I'm using them to keep open borders with the other nations and sending in Great Musicians to tour there. Luckily I got the arts thing passed in the first World Congress, but Babylon is fairly aggressive with the World Congress so I might need to put a stop to that. I'm massively behind RL with science, but so is everyone it seems.

I'm at Familiar in the three civs i've hit with tours and i'm about to get to familiar with a fourth just based on their own weak culture D. As near as I can tell, i'm at no risk losing yet to science, i'm way ahead on culture, Diplomatic Victory is a concern and I am noticably weak to being warred but I have a strong economy and two powerful cities, production-wise so I can churn out defense at a rate of knots should the need arise.

Some cool things: Babylon built the Great Wall...in China :D

Indonesia built Denpasar in an approximately accurate location (despite getting their capital in RL Cairo)

Holy shit guys, Sea Beggars are the best. I've never enjoy naval warfare until I used the Sea Beggar. it was useful for waaaay too long, and arrives at the perfect war era. Finished the Dutch game...

William (Dutch) - Continents Map

- Goal 1: Win the game

Managed this with ease, the only issue I had was with Greece potentially going culture win, but I crippled him in a war effort and wound up killing him because... well, because it's Alexander and there is nothing more satisfying in this game than wiping his smug face off your planet.

- Goal 2: Go for Autocracy ideology with a Diplomacy win

Managed, and holy fuck did Gunboat Diplomacy combined with my terrifyingly humongous and well-spread army work wonders. I was swimming in cash from my economy that I barely needed to use because of Gunboat Diplomacy.

- Goal 3: Capture a Spanish coastal city with a Sea Beggar

First achievement I got before wiping Isabella out because she wouldn't stop spreading her stupid religion as usual.

- Goal 4: Fully Explore Exploration

Done, and really helped due to my cargo ship heavy economy combined with my sea warfare.

- Goal 5: Win a Diplomatic Victory without ever being the host of the World Congress

Almost fucked this one up by abstaining from early host votes, meaning I wouldn't get the extra 2 votes from being second, but realised in time and went back to a slightly earlier save.

- Goal 6: Propose to repeal an active Resolution which you had originally proposed to enact

Got this really early, realised I didn't even need to actually repeal the resolution, literally just propose the repealing of it. Pretty much fucked Greece over for the most part.

Still feeling that war urge, so I think Shaka may be my next game since I've somehow not done a game with him yet, looking at the following:

Shaka (Zulu) - Terra, Pangaea, or Continents Map
- Goal 1: Win a game (natch)
- Goal 2: Build Statue of Zeus and Temple of Artemis in the same city (easy enough, and will help with my war effort)
- Goal 3: Go for Order ideology with a Domination win (somehow not done this on any other domination game)
- Goal 4: Have an Ipmi earn all of the special promotions (still vert doable so long as I remember to pul Impi away from the frontlines when hurt)

Might make a goal 5 of upping it to King difficulty, since I have less achievements to get this time around, and going domination victory with Shaka is supposedly ridiculously easy.

• Like 1

Getting an Impi to earn all of the special promotions is super-easy. It's not hard to get two just from buildings (Ikanda/Armory), and then if you have Military Tradition from Honor you're halfway to the next one. And to be honest you really should get Military Tradition anyway if you want to play Shaka like Shaka since it's a really fantastic policy for warmongering. Tradition through Monarchy/Landed Elite and then straight into Honor looks good on Shaka.

EDIT: I just checked and it's actually easier than that since Ikanda gives Buffalo Horns for free. So you'll get Buffalo Chest as your first promotion and can pretty easily get Buffalo Loins through combat. Yeah, Run 50 Miles and Fight a Battle is a super-easy achievement and if you're even trying to war with Impis as Shaka then you'll get it.

I was getting the bonuses pretty easy with the UB Baracks, Armory and Heroic Epic.

Can Impis eventually be promoted to a GDR, or do they stop at X-Com Squad or Mechanized Infantry?