Civilization Thread!

Ruki

Prince, 1967 Diplomatic Victory....as Germany! DEUTSCHLAND UBER ALLES!

Ahem.

The Hanse is a pretty cool building. Pretty peaceful games. While some people became dicks when the time came for ideologies, I wasn't denounced once, nor was I ever part of a war. Other civs included Morocco (who was woefully behind the times, he didn't even get an ideology), Polynesia (the other major player), The Netherlands, and Sweden. The only one I was in any kind of contention with was Polynesia, who actually beat me to the Industrial age, but once I reached that, I made a beeline for Radio just to get the early adopter tenant.

Who to be next....?

Can I get some help from the Civfanatics here please? :)

This map:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=364052&d=1383417257

Is like my dream map, it's centred on Africa with just the bottom of europe and some of west asia, and allows you to play all the african civs without having to play a full world map. Yay!

One small thing, I don't have the net on my computer at the moment (long story), so I can't dl the map via steam. However, I can get the file in the link above. I put it in my maps folder but when I set up a game, 'load scenario' etc. and go into the game the starting locations are always whack.

I've had a look at the map file in civ world builder and can't see any problems, i've even edited the map adding cities to the citystate tiles for each CS, and settler/worker/warriors to each civ starting location for each appropriate civ. However when I boot up i still get random starting locations :(

Anyone know what i'm doing wrong or how I can fix the map? Dying to play this one.

------------------

Also sidebar, I edited the leader/civ/nation name in one of games at game creation menu, and now everytime I start a new game those custom names are there and I can't change them back, even via edit and 'accept' - it just ignores my changes and keeps the custom stuff I put in ages ago. Any ideas?

There should really be a way to work resources like coal or oil outside of your territory.

Great Generals. Be Portugal. :shifty:

Though, I know what you mean. Civ III had the colony option, which was like a small extension.

A mod I really want is one to insure that I'm isolated from other civilizations. That would really be nice :shifty:

• Like 1

There should really be a way to work resources like coal or oil outside of your territory.

Though, I know what you mean. Civ III had the colony option, which was like a small extension.

A mod I really want is one to insure that I'm isolated from other civilizations. That would really be nice :shifty:

Colonies would be a nice touch. Or just the ability to have workers build improvements on strategic or luxury resources in areas that aren't controlled by another Civ.

I'm in a game where I random'd the Mayans. There are two or three oil deposits that are just one or two tiles outside of my territory.

Mick, why are like 75% of your mods that you own/want to exist simply ways to cheat? :P

Actually, I was coming in here to say this:

I absolutely hate playing wide. Managing the happiness is such a pain in the ass, especially when horses are scarce. With the increased culture costs for policies, it's really difficult to justify, at least in my opinion, going wide. The early trade-offs are horrible, when you consider less culture production. less growth, less border expansion, and less happiness, for what? Faster workers? Increased settler production, and a Great Person of my choosing? I'd much rather go Tradition to use Faith to purchase the Great Engineers. Happiness is going to continue to be an issue until you manage to top off Commerce, but by the time you get there, you should either be going into Rationalism or stocking policies up for when you choose your ideology.

I'm also pretty big on infrastructure, and having to build 8-12 cities can really hurt that, whereas 4 cities or less makes it much easier to get going. Sadly, this means that some civs that are geared for going wide aren't going to get the full enjoyment from me, but that's okay. I've done plenty well without Paper Makers.

I know how to do that, Benji. It's called money :shifty: . It's just getting to the point where it's economically feasible to drop a grand on one (and then the rest of them) that's the trick.

That's where I never ever have a problem. Money rains for me (H) Also, do their quests when they ask, the boost is useful to keeping them in your favour.

Also, regardless of going wide or tall, I always go tradition first. Waaaaay more useful. I may choose liberty if there's still growth space by the time I'll hit that settler building and there's still space to grow, but to me it's never worth the slower early growth you can potentially see without the trad tree.

Went for Science Victory with a Single City as the Mayans yesterday (I don't know why...but I went for Earth Map/Small Map/Chieften just to tick off a handful of achievements that I didn't realise I'd missed). Being on Chieften, of course, I could just sit there and be nice to everyone and not have to worry about having more than 3 or 4 military units (plus the other civs were Ethiopia, Byzantium, Carthage, Sweden and Indonesia...so no Shaka-type problems). In other words, this was an experiment for how swiftly I could whore beakers, albeit whilst playing as a Civ with little-to-no propensity for said whoring (besides the +2 from my one Mayan Temple).

Whizzed through most of it but really felt like my research hit a brick wall post-Atomic Theory and a max beaker output of about 600 really meant that the last dozen techs for spaceship parts were a horrible, horrible slog. A couple of Great Scientists and research agreements helped a bit (the latter becoming more sparse as other Civs started demanding ALL YOUR CASH AND ALUMINIMUM AND URANIUM to agree one), but in the end I rather crawled over the finish line in 2030.

Didn't help of course that Ethiopa did their usual bastard thing of dominating the World Congress and slapping a -33% modifier on Great Scientists as they tried uselessly to get a culture victory that would never, ever happen even if they threw their tourism at me for a million billion years. In other words, they were purely trying to piss me off. <_<

• Like 1

I had almost the exact same thing happen to me last night, Stok, but with Egypt. I was in control of congress, but literally everyone but me was going for a culture victory so they managed to pass a vote and slow down my win to 2030 too. The amusing thing was that I literally had every victory but domination tied up, because I'd boosted my tourism to protect from other ideologies and had the most there, was way ahead on techs (as I say, I was 9 ahead of one Civ, 6 ahead of all others), and had full control of the delegation besides that vote. On the plus side, I finally got the Herculean Effort Achievement because it slowed down my win enough to get to the ISS for the first time ever.

Also, I forgot how the demographics screen throws you off in science. Beelining means you'll show as lower on the advancements early on, but it's purely because you'll have ignored the lower beaker techs.

LOL.

I'm starting to put together leaders that I absolutely hate. I'm pretty sure at this point the only guys I care for are Shaka and Monty, because at least you know where you stand with them. In short, except those two, I pretty much hate everyone. I hate Venice and Maria Theresa for buying city-states. I hate Greece because Alexander goes wide like crazy and flutters up my messages after a peace treaty, where he pledges to protect EVERY city-state, I hate any culture heavy civ for trying to pass the damn culture thing at the World Congress. I hate Germany and Rome because they're bullies. I hate Gandhi because he's a wonder whore, worse than Gandhi. I hate Atilla for always pissing the world off and getting destroyed before he can become a credible threat.

And I hate everyone that gets their panties in their twist when I settle five tiles away from them, but oh no, they don't have any problem getting cozy with me. WARS START THAT WAY :angry: .

Though, I've found that if I'm playing Tall, it's amusing to have Inquisitors in all my cities, seeing foreign Missionaries come through, and pull the Inquisitor out for a couple turns, watching as the Missionaries make a mad dash for my city, only to put the Inquisitor back in, and laughing as ATTRITION -250 pops up. Then off they go, and I do it again. It cracks me up.

• Like 1