Civilization Thread!

Ruki

If anything, since I founded Islam, I'd want to kill her for that, because she does not follow Muhammad's laws of modesty!

I think there's more value in the rolling advantage of an early National College than waiting to find a jungle city, which will only really pay off after Education. The early game is just so important to getting a strong victory date. Delaying the National College will also slow down your path to Education, which will in turn make it take even longer for those jungle tiles to pay off.

The real problem is that, in the absence of gold/food trade routes/tons of workers, cities in Civ V just take a dog's age to get going. Your capital takes a long time as well, but there's really nothing to do at that point in the game other than find ruins/city-states/rivals/barb camps, so you don't really notice. By the time a second city can feasibly have built the National College (assuming you only go two cities--getting more cities going takes even longer), you're probably close to teching Civil Service. NC just helps you fly through all of those techs, get to Education earlier, get a University in your capital earlier, get your first Great Scientist earlier...

I'm going to agree with Sousa here. I probably didn't consider it because it almost seems counter-intuitive. Typically my top city is (and should be) the capital. There's been only one case I can recall of another city eclipsing my capital, so that seems to be the exception.

Overall though, consider this with the idea I posted about the National College. Assuming you're lucky enough to get lots of jungle next to a mountain, you have to figure 1) Time spent building trading posts (What is it, six turns on standard without the Pyramids?), 2) Time spent to develop the city itself (which means to make proper use of the jungles, you have to build a Library and University, and then the NC, but to facilitate better use, any buildings for growth, like a Granary), 3) Jungle Tiles with Bananas can't be improved. That seems like a major time or cash investment if you're delaying the production of the National College, and that delay could really hurt you versus just getting the NC in your capital, to the point that said investment is going to be marginal at best.

I still would much rather make a food-rich city a science city. All of those jungles are nice (+3 science with Free Thought and University), but an Academy will get you +8 minimum. That's almost the equivalent of three jungles, and I usually have at least four Academies around my capital. By the time you get Atomic Theory you can have that up to +16 (go Freedom, take New Deal). That's a ridiculous bonus. You'd have to work six jungles to surpass one post-AT Freedom Academy.

As someone who enjoys Civ V but doesn't play it enough as I'd like to, is $15 for Brave New World worth it? I'm considering paying the extra in the Humble Bundle but I want to be sure I'm getting my money's worth.

Yes