Civilization Thread!

Ruki

I think it kinda says something when the number one tip for this game is Kill Alexander. :shifty:

Lately, I've been thinking of overall, who can you trust? Right now, there's only two rulers I would absolutely trust in this game, Gandhi or Shaka, due to their high loyalties. Gandhi almost seems like a given, but with Shaka, you know what to expect, mainly 1) He's either gonna attempt an invasion or 2) If you're cool to him, he's cool to you. Monty's in the same boat, except he's like the elementary school bully. You know he's gonna come after you for your lunch money, but later on, everyone's in high school and they've hit their growth spurt, and he hasn't :shifty: .

People I will never, ever trust in this game:

Augustus

Wu Zeitan

Catherine

Alexander

Attila (though, he's not deceitful, he's just stupid :shifty: )

Oh, I hate Enrico. As you said, he's not what I would call a threat, I just had the bastard for buying the city-states. At least with Maria-Theresa you have a chance to stop that shit. One of the last games he showed up in, he pissed off the wrong person and I laughed as Venice got taken, and he was left with his crappy little puppet cities he bought. Poor blind bastard.

I actually like seeing Montezuma and Shaka in a game, provided they aren't neighbors, because you fucking know they're going to be keeping someone busy. The only difference is that Shaka's good at it, and Monty will keep on trucking until someone says "Fuck this guy."

Dido is another one to watch out for. She'll actually build up a decent size navy. Unfortunately, the AI has no sense in how to use it. In the game I described as Venice on the last page, I watched numerous fleets show up, and watch as the fucking Frigate gets right up and cozy next to my city, so they're in range of the Gatling Gun, while the Privateer can't do dick. They can't position themselves for a ranged assault either, so basically all I have to do to end that nonsense is keep my city defense up to date, keep the garrison up to date, and keep a Frigate or Battleship in the town. Nobody's going to take it. They'd need a hell of an army to do that,

The past two games where he's show up, though, Augustus has been a complete bastard, almost like a Malevolent, Evil Montezuma. I know Monty's a warmonger, but here you have someone that could be a threat if he knew how to follow through :shifty: .

Other people I hate:

Ramkhamhaeng (He's quite competitive with CSs, not that I blame him)

Haile Selassie (Smug little shit, spreads Missionaries like crazy)
Isabella (Not quite a smug, but still so damn pious)
Boudicca (This bitch always settles right on my doorstep late game. It's like a constant)

I've also taken great delight in trolling Missionaries. As you may or may not be aware, the presence of an Inquisitor in a city will prevent anybody from actively spreading religion to that city. So, when I see a foreign Missionary show up, I'll move the Inquisitor just outside the city on the road. Then, as the Missionary gets close, put the Inquisitor back in. ATTRITION -250! Rinse and repeat :pervert:

The thing of them getting in range of the city is a flaw of the AI - it's designed to use the maximum number of moves it possibly can, it's why if you trap an enemy unit just right, you can make sure they never escape a two tile radius.

Also, I love Isabella, she gives me an excuse to destroy her by spreading her religion over and over, and she never has a strong army.

I've actually started including an Inquisitor in my invasion army. I love sending him into the enemy capital and doing his thing, removing the Holy City aspect. No more pressure!

Yeah, if they have tenets that let them buy buildings (Jesuit Education is very popular with a lot of AI), then I don't want to wipe out that religion. Let them go to the trouble of getting Piety policies and then reap the benefits yourself.

They are HERETICS!

Burning%20at%20the%20stake.jpg

Ahem. That would normally be a good idea, but when I'm on the warpath, my main empire usually has science buildings and I'd much rather use my faith to get a Great Person. Besides, I consider it payback for the fuckers sending in their pissant little Prophets and Missionaries and converting my cities, and then going back on their fucking word when they say they'll stop. It didn't work out too well for Askia when he converted a city with a fucking Gatling Gun in it :shifty:

(What can I say, my God is a jealous God)

FTAs3xv.jpg

So its about time I started buying a military and beating this game...

I think it kinda says something when the number one tip for this game is Kill Alexander. :shifty:

Lately, I've been thinking of overall, who can you trust? Right now, there's only two rulers I would absolutely trust in this game, Gandhi or Shaka, due to their high loyalties. Gandhi almost seems like a given, but with Shaka, you know what to expect, mainly 1) He's either gonna attempt an invasion or 2) If you're cool to him, he's cool to you. Monty's in the same boat, except he's like the elementary school bully. You know he's gonna come after you for your lunch money, but later on, everyone's in high school and they've hit their growth spurt, and he hasn't :shifty: .

Augustus

Wu Zeitan

Catherine

Alexander

I did everything I could to stay in Catherine's good books (:pervert:) but then she backstabbed me once.

ONCE. :angry:

(I burnt it all to the ground)

Augustus

Wu Zeitan

Catherine

Alexander

I did everything I could to stay in Catherine's good books ( :pervert:) but then she backstabbed me once.

ONCE. :angry:

(I burnt it all to the ground)

This is my national anthem in times of war:

Jesus Christ, buy some Great People as well o_O.

Wait, it's 1980 and you haven't discovered Atomic Theory?!

I typically play on Marathon/Epic game speed. Was working on Atomic Theory when I took the screen shot

To be fair, Penicillin does have Medical Labs and is on the path to Telecommunications (which is great for culture if you haven't won yet).

I'd still get Atomic Theory first to beef up Academies, though. :shifty:

But yeah, that much gold and that much faith and that much tourism... just win the game!

Except it says Penicillin!

and I'm drunk! Finished penicillin then went to atomic theory!

Only civ I'd feel bad about taking out is Russia. She's been either friendly or neutral to me the entire time. I've stayed pretty war free...only war I engaged in was against Attila, who declared war on me first, so I wiped him off the map