Minecraft!

Sousa

Well, I slacked on the walkthrough. So here it is.

---

HOW TO SET UP A MULTIPLAYER MINECRAFT SERVER WITH HAMACHI - FOR FREE

1. Download the Minecraft Beta Server Software from the minecraft website; http://www.minecraft.net/download.jsp (it's at the bottom, Minecraft_Server.exe) Put Minecraft_Server.exe in it's own folder, and run it once. It will generate the files needed for the server in that folder. You can close it after a few seconds.

2. Create an account at https://secure.logmein.com/ (Hamachi's company's site)

3. Download and install LogMeIn Hamachi from the above site. (Products > LogMeIn Hamachi) It'll say 'try it free' or 'buy now', click 'try it free'. Once you have it downloaded, it tells you it's free for non-commercial use.

4. Go back to the homepage of LogMeIn ( https://secure.logmein.com/ ) and, if your logged in, on the right side of the screen you'll see Account, with your email and underneath your email, it'll say My Computers. Click My Computers.

5. On the left side of the screen it takes you to, you'll see a menu with the 'ACCESS' category expanded. Instead, click on the 3rd category, 'NETWORK'.

6. Underneath the title 'My Networks', you'll see 'Add Client' and 'Add Network'. Click 'Add Network'.

7. Type in what you would like the name of your network to be (Joes Minecraft Server for example), description isn't necessary. Make sure that 'Mesh' is selected for the third option.

8. Next page gives you the choice of whether you'd like your members to be approved automatically, or if you would rather approve them manually. I personally approve them manually, so I know that no random is joining my network. It also gives you the option to make a password required to join the network. I highly suggest you do so, just in case. After that, click continue.

9. It then asks you to select which members you'd like in your network. You should only see one person on the list, and it should be yourself. Check the box next yourself, and click finish.

10. Your network is now created. It'll take you to 'edit network' page for the network you made. Next to the name of your server, there will be an ID number that looks like ###-###-###. Take note of this number, because you'll need to tell it to whomever you want to join your network. You can get back to it later though, so don't worry too much.

11. Now, go to where you installed Hamachi, and start the program. You'll have to log in (using the same account as the website), and if it's set to offline to start, you make have to click the 'Power On' button (looks like a computer power button). Once it's online, you'll see the network you created show up. Since you're the only member, there won't be anyone underneath the name of the network until you get someone to join.

12. See the number next to the power button? Write this down. This will be your virtual IP, and you'll need it for the next step, as well as to connect to your server.

13. Go into the folder that you put the Minecraft_Server.exe into at the beginning, and locate the properties file 'server'. Open it with NotePad. In this file, you`ll see the following things. MAKE SURE YOUR OPTIONS ARE SET THE SAME AS THESE!:

#Minecraft server properties

#Wed May 11 00:27:19 EDT 2011

level-name=Whatever You Want Your World Name To Be Here

hellworld=false

spawn-monsters=true

online-mode=false(If you have legit bought the game, this may work if set to true. However, if your a pirate, MAKE SURE ITS SET TO FALSE)

spawn-animals=true

max-players=# (Whatever amount of players you want to be the max. I have mine set to 6)

server-ip=(Put the number you wrote down from Hamachi here.)

pvp=false(Change this to true if you would rather be able to attack each other)

level-seed=(Blank)

server-port=25565

allow-flight=false

white-list=false

14. Save the 'server' file, and close it. Now, in the same folder for the server, locate the ops text document. Open this, and simply add the name that you use to log in to minecraft. Save, and close. The 'ops' gives you the ability to add and destroy blocks. You will also need to add other players names to this list that will be playing on the server.

15. Now, double click on 'Minecraft_Server.exe' and it will start up the server. You've directed it to your virtual IP, so that is what you will use to connect. Make sure that you still have the Hamachi window open as well, although both Hamachi and the server window can be minimized.

16. Open up Minecraft, click on Multiplayer, enter your virtual IP and make sure to put :25565 directly after it. (So, for example, 1.234.56.783:25565). Click connect, and voila, it should start generating the map and you will be connected.

---

ACCEPTING MEMBERS TO YOUR NETWORK (if set to manually accept)

1. Go to the homepage of LogMeIn ( https://secure.logmein.com/ ) and, once you're logged in, on the right side of the screen you'll see Account, with your email and underneath your email, it'll say My Computers. Click My Computers.

2. On the left side of the screen it takes you to, you'll see a menu with the 'ACCESS' category expanded. Instead, click on the 3rd category, 'NETWORK'.

3. On the left side of the screen, under the 'NETWORK' category, click on Join Requests. Here you will see any join requests from friends you've given your network ID to.

4. After being accepted, they will be able to connect to your minecraft server.

---

HOW TO JOIN A HAMACHI SERVER

1. Create an account at https://secure.logmein.com/ (Hamachi's company's site)

2. Download and install LogMeIn Hamachi from the above site. (Products > LogMeIn Hamachi) It'll say 'try it free' or 'buy now', click 'try it free'. Once you have it downloaded, it tells you it's free for non-commercial use.

3. After Hamachi is installed, start it and log in with the account you've created on the website. After you've logged in, at the top of the Hamachi window, you'll see System, Network, and Help. Click on Network, and then Join Existing Network.

4. You will need to get the Network's ID number (looks like ###-###-###) from the creator, as well as the password. Once you have that, you put them in their respective textboxes.

5. After you've joined the server, you'll either be approved automatically or the creator may have to approve you, depending how they've set it up. Once approved, you'll see the name of the Network pop up in your Hamachi window, as well as the other members of the network.

6. Next to the creators name in the Hamachi window, you'll see their virtual IP. Open up Minecraft and enter the creators virtual IP into multiplayer, making sure to add :25565 to the end of it. (For example, 1.234.56.789:25565)

7. Hit connect and voila, you'll be connected to the world provided you're a part of the host's network. If you are unable to place blocks, or destroy blocks, ask the host to add you to the 'ops' file.

Edited by Closed and Moved to Archives

Accepting Members and Joining a Network added. Sorry for the delay, power outage ironically held me back.

By the way, if anyone gets around to creating one of these for an EWB server, shoot me the Network ID and IP. Hopefully you set online-mode to off.

Edited by Closed and Moved to Archives

hmm, someone needs to set this up so we can try it(I don't think it'd be a good idea for me to set it up with my laptop)

I haven't even seen the change list... I'll have a rummage.

JESUS!! You weren't kidding...

1.6 Update

New features:

+ Added Nether support to multiplayer

+ The client will ask minecraft.net if the current login is valid. If the server says “no”, a warning message appears in the client. You can still play the game even if this happens.

+ Added craftable maps

+ Added hatches

+ Added tall grass in some biomes

+ Mushrooms now spreads (very) slowly

+ Added server property view-distance. Sets the radius of terrain updates (in chunks) to send to the players. Range 3-15, default 10.

+ Added dead shrubs in deserts

+ Added allow-nether (set to true or false) in server.properties

+ Blocks destroyed by other players in multiplayer now shows the breaking block particle effect

+ Doors make sound for other players in multiplayer

+ The record player now supports more than 15 different songs (you can’t get the records yet, though)

+ Activated dispensers make sounds and trigger particles in multiplayer

+ Players stuck in walls will slide towards the nearest gap if there is one

Changes:

* Disabled Advanced OpenGL until we can fix some bugs with it

* It’s no longer possible to build solid blocks on the top layer of the maps (sorry!)

* Made booster tracks speedier

* Severely nerfed fire so it spread slower, and doesn’t spread infinitely

* Seeds are now found in tall grass, using a hoe on the ground no longer works

* Compressed network traffic more agressively

* Blocks that don’t change appearance when the data changes don’t send block updates when their data changes now

* Arrows shot by players can now be picked up by all players

* Nothing riding anything or being ridden by anything can enter portals

Bugfixes:

* Fixed running out of memory corrupting the current level

* Fixed the side textures of grass getting extra dark when mining them

* Fixed anaglyph 3d rendering mode having severe visual bugs

* Fixed the crash screen vanishing immediately

* Fixed not being able to target blocks when at x or z pos 1000

* Fixed the achievements screen messing up the sky color

* Fixed saving while sneaking dropping the player through the ground

* Fixed a system clock change messing up the game speed

* Fixed rain sounds not playing with fast graphics enabled

* Fixed hair and cloaks being rendered in the wrong locations on sneaking players

* Fixed the attack/swing animation not being applied to the armor layer

* Fixed player rotation not being loaded correctly when loading a saved game

* Fixed arrow physics, making them not get stuck midair when you open a door

* Fixed arrows hitting reeds, portals, and other non-solid blocks

* Fixed keybindings not getting saved properly under certain conditions

* Fixed the player not being able to sneak off lowered blocks like cacti

* Fixed a bug where the player could mine without swinging their arm

* Fixed boats placed on snow being placed too far up

* Fixed submerged boats rising very very fast

* Fixed sand dropping onto boats getting stuck in a falling animation

* Fixed a game crash when riding a vehicle or animal into the nether

* Fixed falling while riding not dealing damage to the rider

* Fixed buttons and levers too close to the player being impossible to use

* Fixed dispensers shooting through walls

* Fixed fire hurting through wall corners

* Fixed entities reaching water through wall corners

* Fixed placing doors next to cacti creating half-doors

* Fixed buttons and levers being placeable on leaves in “fast graphics” mode

* Fixed furnaces and dispensers not dropping their contents when destroyed

* Fixed dispensers biasing later slots

* Fixed farmland taking too long to dig

* Fixed tilling below some blocks being possible

* Fixed tilling the underside of blocks somehow working

* Fixed fences and stairs sometimes becoming invisible

* Fixed walking on top of fences not producing step sounds

* Fixed fire sometimes existing mid-air as an invisible block of pain

* Fixed fences and wooden stairs not being flammable

* Fixed fire effect on burning entities sometimes getting rendered in the wrong location

* Fixed fishing rod rendering being a bit lacking

* Fixed fishing rods being stackable

* Fixed mining glass hiding the clouds behind the glass

* Fixed rain falling through liquids

* Fixed items in glass blocks not getting ejected properly

* Fixed water interacting strangely with glass

* Fixed glass not blocking rain sound

* Fixed fences and signs preventing grass from growing

* Fixed rain and snow being incorrectly lit

* Fixed grass staying alive below stair blocks

* Fixed the achievement screen not pausing the game

* Fixed some screens breaking the sky tint color

* Fixed fullscreen mode switching causing mouse issues and screen closes

* Fixed chat messages surviving through game switches

* Fixed ice so it regenerates regardless of whether it’s snowing or not

* Fixed rain falling too slowly

* Fixed levers being placeable on weird locations

* Fixed floor levers sometimes not delivering a signal downwards

* Fixed floor levers sometimes not being removed when the floor is removed

* Fixed rail tiles sometimes not properly connecting to a new neighbor

* Fixed minecarts next to each other causing extreme velocities (sorry!)

* Fixed wolves not following their owner if the name has different caps

* Fixed creepers retaining charge level when they can’t see their target

* Fixed dying in the nether spawning new portals

* “Fixed” beds in the nether

* Fixed inventory acting weird when portaling by making the portal close all screens

* Fixed wooden pressure plates being mined with pickaxes

* Fixed redstone repeaters having the wrong particles

* Fixed saplings being plantable through snow onto non-grass blocks

* Fixed ore density varying per quadrant from the center of the world

* Fixed dispenser graphics being one pixel off. ONE PIXEL!!!

* Fixed mushrooms spawning everywhere during nights

* Fixed animals only spawning near light during the night

* Fixed the multiplayer join screen input field being too short

* Fixed IPv6 addresses being parsed wrongly. To connect to a specific port in IPv6, use the format [1234:567::1]:25565

* Fixed network packets being sent unbuffered, causing huge amounts of packets being sent

* Fixed entity positions going out of synch sometimes. They get re-synched every 20 seconds now.

* Fixed inventory icons not animating after being picked up in multiplayer

* Fixed mushroom soup not leaving a bowl in multiplayer

* Fixed entities above the map height limit becoming invisible

* Fixed healing not flashing the health bar in multiplayer

* Fixed arrows being animated really strangely in multiplayer

* Fixed arrows triggering too many entity move updates in multiplayer

* Fixed the compass not pointing at the spawn location in multiplayer

* Fixed fires being impossible to put out in multiplayer

* Fixed record players spawning client-side fake records in multiplayer

* Fixed records not playing for other players in multiplayer

* Fixed players spawning in the wrong location and quickly lerping to the correct location

* Fixed monsters not being visible for players with their difficulty set to peaceful

* Fixed pigs getting hit by lightning in multiplayer spawning client-side zombie pigmen

* Fixed loads of exploding tnt generating way too many particles, possibly crashing the client

* Fixed bonemeal use in multiplayer sometimes spawning fake client-side trees

* Fixed saplings sometimes spawning trees client-side in multiplayer

* Fixed weather sometimes changing client-side in multiplayer

* Fixed grasscolor.png and foliagecolor.png not being read from texture packs

* Fixed stats getting saved to different files in offline mode if the caps in the player name differ from the true spelling

* Fixed fireballs not being visible in multiplayer

* Fixed ghasts’ fireing animation not being visible in multiplayer

* Fixed receiving more items than the maximum stack size sometimes causing an oversized stack in the inventory

* Fixed a visual item duplication bug when trying to pick up items while the inventory is full

* Fixed an ACTUAL item duplication bug while picking up some items

+ The renderer is now capped at 100 fps while there are chunks to be generated. The excess time will be spent generating chunks instead of rendering frames

+ The “limit framerate” option now limits the game to 40 fps and will spend at least 10 ms per frame sleeping

+ The “limit framerate” option has been reset to “off” for all players, enable it again if you want it

* Fixed some block updates not updating lighting properly under some circumstances by reverting the “don’t always send block data” fix in 1.6

* Fixed a major CPU load issue in the server where a very tight loop would starve all other threads

* Fixed furnaces dropping/duplicating their contents when they change state from lit to unlit or back

* Fixed 1.6.3 using more CPU despite it claiming to use less

* Totally professional

So it was mostly fixing Multiplayer then?

Does anyone else keep ending up in a wall when they load a save?

Edited by Kirkland

forest.jpg

So I planted this forest of birch so I could harvest it and use the wood for my lighthouse, since I'm working on the stone skeleton of the lighthouse right now I've got to look at this forest for a bit and figured it looked pretty cool, thought I might replant it permanently after I finish the lighthouse...untill I looked in it one morning, it was FULL of skeletons, they would jump out of the water and straight into the shade of the birch trees. After I cleared it out I had about a dozen extra bones and arrows.

Minecraft Beta 1.6.6

1.6.6:

+ Added a new use for bonemeal

* Changed the material of glowstone from “glass” to “stone”. This means you need a pickaxe to get resources from it

* Made glowstone drop more loot * Made the recipe sizes for creating cloth blocks and glowstone blocks smaller (2x2 instead of 3x3)

* Re-introduced unlimited FPS, renamed the option again

* Fixed beds not working very well at all in SMP * Fixed destroying a boat spawning the player too low, causing them to sometimes fall through the ground

* Boats float up to the surface quicker * Boats falling down into water lose their vertical momentum very fast * Removed Herobrine

Yea..Notch added that in as an "update" to hopefully stop the Herobrine questions on the forums

Minecraft: Pocket Edition running on the Sony Xperia Play smartphone..so there IS an Android version of Minecraft :w00t:

Yeah, they are working on several mobile versions. As for android xperia play is somewhat exclusive for now, they have been talking about iOS for a while so i doubt the iOS Version is much further away.

:shifty: its Android..theres no such thing as "exclusive"...give the Android modding community 24 hours and Minecraft will be able to run on any Android device. It took them less time then that to figure out how to get Netflix running on phones/tablets that don't have the right drm built in