The Dark Knight Rises

apsham

Super-into Anne Hathaway as Catwoman in that trailer, kind of indifferent on Tom Hardy as Bane (yes, for a lot of the same reasons I annoyed everyone by not being into a lot of the Arkham City redesigns) but I bet he'll be great in the movie.

EDIT: Wait no, made a lofty statement that I can't fully back up.

Super-into Anne Hathaway as Catwoman in that trailer, kind of indifferent on Tom Hardy as Bane (yes, for a lot of the same reasons I annoyed everyone by not being into a lot of the Arkham City redesigns) but I bet he'll be great in the movie.

Out of curiosity recap me on what you disliked about the AC redesigns, I don't see much of an correlation between the recent films and the games at all when it comes to design.

Out of curiosity recap me on what you disliked about the AC redesigns, I don't see much of an correlation between the recent films and the games at all when it comes to design.

He's not saying they're similar, just that he has the same reasons. Which if I remember correctly were how different they were to the comic? Something along the lines of that. With Bane, I'm of two minds. I really like how he looks and how it seems the Venom story is being handled, but I'm not sure I really like how intent Nolan seems to be on making him impossible to understand. I read he was barely going to change it in post-production and I can barely make out what he's saying in the trailer, or I couldn't until I'd been told what he said.

Yeah, there's no direct correlation between the two. Ultimately after playing AC, though, the two things that really stuck with me as "well that was unnecessary" was the Harley Quinn outfit which was ridiculous male gaze wankbait and the fact that Robin looked and sounded like he was like twenty-six. Deadshot's outfit is pretty fucking ugly, though.

As for Bane, yeah, the voice is annoying. I'm also not sure how I feel about the fact that he's a British guy outright but that's nitpicking. I'm also not in love with the mask, though everything else looks fine.

I don't think the character is British? Or is your problem that he's a British actor? I know he's spanish in the comics, but I'm not sure I have a huge problem with his background being changed. It's just something that comes with the territory of comics to film a lot of the time.

Plus I've got a hard enough time understanding him when his natural language is English, I'm scared to think how much more trouble I'd have if there was some kind of accent to go with it. >_> I'm pretty happy with Tom Hardy as the choice though. Bronson was good and he was the only character in Inception I really liked at all.

I don't think the character is British? Or is your problem that he's a British actor? I know he's spanish in the comics, but I'm not sure I have a huge problem with his background being changed. It's just something that comes with the territory of comics to film a lot of the time.

Plus I've got a hard enough time understanding him when his natural language is English, I'm scared to think how much more trouble I'd have if there was some kind of accent to go with it. >_> I'm pretty happy with Tom Hardy as the choice though. Bronson was good and he was the only character in Inception I really liked at all.

I believe he's supposed to be German, actually.

And yeah, Hardy's a good choice (though I'm pretty sure that's not GoGo's issue). I've yet to see Bronson but like you said, he was great in Inception (fuck you for reminding me you didn't like it a lot :angry:) and he's really good in Warrior.

I'm inherently going to give Nolan the benefit of the doubt so if he doesn't feel the need to tweak the voice that much, I'm cool with it. More important, I think, is that I hope they find the right level for Bale's Batman voice.

Considering how little Batman was in the trailer, I'll be surprised if he features enough for that to be a problem. Seems like something might happen to him. (I WONDER WHAT THAT COULD BE. HMMMM!) Hopefully with Bane the reason he's not changing it much for the rest of the film is because it's just a lot easier to understand in the rest anyway.

And I don't know where I got spanish from then. >_>

As for Batman's screen time I wouldn't be bothered if he wasn't given a majority of it, it's probably just a thing that carried over from my childhood but I've always just enjoyed villains much more than heroes. Especially in Batman Returns, my god was that a great cast.

And mistake me if I'm wrong but wasn't there an interview around somewhere where Nolan said something about the mask having something substantial to do with the plot?

Considering how little Batman was in the trailer, I'll be surprised if he features enough for that to be a problem. Seems like something might happen to him. (I WONDER WHAT THAT COULD BE. HMMMM!) Hopefully with Bane the reason he's not changing it much for the rest of the film is because it's just a lot easier to understand in the rest anyway.

And I don't know where I got spanish from then. >_>

Bane is definitely latino in the comics, he's from Santa Prisca, which I believe is located in South America, and at least in the Arkham Asylum and Arkham City games he has a spanish accent. Maybe that's where you got it from?

As for Batman's screen time I wouldn't be bothered if he wasn't given a majority of it, it's probably just a thing that carried over from my childhood but I've always just enjoyed villains much more than heroes. Especially in Batman Returns, my god was that a great cast.

And mistake me if I'm wrong but wasn't there an interview around somewhere where Nolan said something about the mask having something substantial to do with the plot?

If anything, I believe the most appeal for Batman comes from the great villains he has.

Who, Bane? As Johnny says, he's from Santa Prisca, a Caribbean republic. His dad is white, though, so in terms of race I've always assumed he's mixed. He's traditionally been depicted as having a Spanish accent, though; not just in the Arkham games but in everything aside from Batman and Robin which doesn't count.

Also, I don't know. I'll have to listen to more Bane dialogue but he sounded really really British in that clip of him in the trailer. I'll have to listen to more and try to make out what the fuck he's saying.

Who, Bane? As Johnny says, he's from Santa Prisca, a Caribbean republic. His dad is white, though, so in terms of race I've always assumed he's mixed. He's traditionally been depicted as having a Spanish accent, though; not just in the Arkham games but in everything aside from Batman and Robin which doesn't count.

Also, I don't know. I'll have to listen to more Bane dialogue but he sounded really really British in that clip of him in the trailer. I'll have to listen to more and try to make out what the fuck he's saying.

Right, I was saying that I believe he's supposed to be German in the movie. I could be wrong though.

• 1 month later...

Tom Hardy is fucking excellent. Loved him in Bronson, Inception, The Take (4 part TV series), Layer Cake, Rock n Rolla and probabl;y everything else he's done. Excellent actor.

I don't really get why him being British in the film would even matter though, unless you've got that much of a hard-on for everything being exactly like the comics. It reminds me of a conversation we had ages ago about a black fellow playing a white guys role (could have been a superhero film, I'm not sure) and everyone aired on the side of "it's fine" there, so I don't see how this is any different?

Anyway, should be another great Batman film from Nolan I imagine, looking forward to it.

Think it was Michael Clarke Duncan playing Kingpin in Daredevil

Can't have been because it was about a film coming out, and I didn't join the board till 2004.

But yes, Kingpin and Bullseye were the only redeeming things about Daredevil.

Donald Glover as Spiderman in the reboot, I'm guessing.

Oh yea...I totally forgot about that conversation. Donald Glover would've made an awesome Spiderman

Guest mr. potato head

Can't have been because it was about a film coming out, and I didn't join the board till 2004.

But yes, Kingpin and Bullseye were the only redeeming things about Daredevil.

All the join dates say May 2004 because that's when EWB IV started up, you could have joined on EWB III (Y)