2018/2022 World Cup venues

sahyder1

Why does it matter when Qatar had an FA or who they lost to? South Africa had only just got out of apartheid in 1994 and they held a pretty successful tournament. There's nothing to say that Qatar, with 12 years of preparation time, won't be able to hold a successful tournament. I don't really think the fact you can't drink alcohol is going to hurt it too much. Okay, so Budweiser won't be able to advertise. I'm sure Coca-Cola can step up a few extra spots on TV.

EDIT: As for Ferdinand and the "Panorama" explanation - yeah, it hurt. But a) it doesn't hurt me to know we lost it because FIFA are ran by corrupt people who get found out and b) our failure to win might also be attributed to factors like the head of our delegation, Triesman, suggesting the Russians and Spanish had bribed refs at the 2010 World Cup. I don't think we gave ourselves much of a chance from the get-go.

Edited by XEON BSIG

Why does it matter when Qatar had an FA or who they lost to? South Africa had only just got out of apartheid in 1994 and they held a pretty successful tournament. There's nothing to say that Qatar, with 12 years of preparation time, won't be able to hold a successful tournament. I don't really think the fact you can't drink alcohol is going to hurt it too much. Okay, so Budweiser won't be able to advertise. I'm sure Coca-Cola can step up a few extra spots on TV.

It's a good job gays don't like football.

Israel are a bit shit as well so probably won't qualify anyway.

That Australia did not win does not bother me so much. The US had a powerful bid.

That Russia and Qatar, too obviously corrupt and resource rich countries won and it was rumoured an hour before an announcement was made - that disgusts me. I am sick to my stomach.

• Like 4

I'm sorry to say that morality can't really cut it in this argument, because homosexuals find persecution in pretty much half of the bidding nations. And Jews get a bit of hate everywhere too. Not to mention China are a bit lax on human rights, yet hosted the Olympics. Germany had this "thing" that happened with a guy called Adolf and still hosted an Olympics in their time.

I'm sure if push came to shove, Israel qualifying would force Qatar's hand and they'd accept it. Money talks.

• Like 1

Upset at England not getting the World Cup. I'd have quite liked the opportunity to go to a match. On the other hand, I'm not surprised with the amount of moaning from them. It would have really got up people's noses.

I do find Qatar a bit of a weird choice but I don't really see the problem with Russia. They're clearly capable of hosting the event, and football has been popular there for a looooooooooooong time, so they're hardly bandwagon jumpers like USA in '94 or Qatar in '22.

I'm sorry to say that morality can't really cut it in this argument, because homosexuals find persecution in pretty much half of the bidding nations. And Jews get a bit of hate everywhere too. Not to mention China are a bit lax on human rights, yet hosted the Olympics. Germany had this "thing" that happened with a guy called Adolf and still hosted an Olympics in their time.

I'm sure if push came to shove, Israel qualifying would force Qatar's hand and they'd accept it. Money talks.

So 'it happened before' is a perfectly acceptable excuse in your book, is it?

Why is everybody bitching about Qatar still having to build their stadiums, South Africa did the same thing, most their stadiums were brand new, and they were fine, they got 12 years, and all the oil money in the world, they'll be just fine.

I secretly like it when things go against England. These are the times when the media are at their best. It's total war mentality - pull up the drawbridge, moan about how we're wronged. It's perfect tonic when you're disappointed. I love England. :wub:

I think this is the reason why everyone else hates England. If you do something right it's because you're the best in the world, if you do something wrong it's because of corruption or shenanigans or whatever reason other than the fact that you're shit.

I'll have you know that England is the centre of the world.

So 'it happened before' is a perfectly acceptable excuse in your book, is it?

Not at all. But we can be honest here and say that trying to argue morality isn't really going to get anywhere. If it's morality, then Beijing should have never hosted those Olympics. If it's morality, Qatar wouldn't be hosting 2022. Sadly, that is not the case.

Besides, whilst they do have issues such as unjustified hatred and persecution of other cultures, if this World Cup can open that up and become a positive force for change, then I'm all for it.

You're off your fucking rocker. Unifying the Middle East and breaking down barriers had zero to do with FIFA's decision. It was all about money. End of story.

In Russia's case it's not as offensive, because they will host a great World Cup and had a strong bid. Qatar had a terrible technical report, severe concerns over player and spectator health, and a laughable bid in terms of FIFA requirements. Dirty money spoke loud and clear today.

• Like 1

People whining about Qatar are pathetic. Sports are a business. Learn to deal with it. So what if there is no alcohol at the stadiums? A few less drunks at sporting events is never a bad thing. No one is forcing you to go. The games will still be sold out and they'll still put on a great show.

If it is about morality England should NEVER host anything because of what their Empires have done around the world over the course of history.

Edited by sahyder1

Who said I'm saying it's purely a football decision? I know it's money. It's money and corruption. England finished four out of four because of corruption. Qatar won 2022 because of money. It's FIFA. I am under no illusions. But I choose to look positively at this. If it fosters any kind of positive change, then I'm in support.

If we want to look at this from the losing perspective, then we have to go back to the drawing board and create a bid in the future that can totally obliterate the competition and get the rights as soon as possible.

I think it'll be interesting to see if grounds are full, simply due to cost (and sheer hassle) of travel. Basically grounds will be near empty or chock full of rich Arabs keen to see the next interesting thing their oil money has dragged over. Yay!

Since the actual population of the country is smaller than the number of people who'll be watching do you reckon they'll give every resident a free match ticket?

If it is about morality England should NEVER host anything because of what their Empires have done around the world over the course of history.

That is the most ridiculous thing (out of the many ridiculous things) posted here today. Concerns over Qatar's morality and human rights are current and ongoing, whereas the British Empire clearly...isn't.