The January Transfer Window 2011

Lineker

• Admin
Inter Milan's new manager Leonardo is closing in on Genoa's talented defender Andrea Ranocchia.

The 22-year-old signed for Genoa from Bari in the close season in a part-ownership deal with Inter, who will now take his full registration for €12.5million (£10.6m).

Genoa president Enrico Preziosi is sad to see the Italy international defender leave the club, but insists the money is too good to resist.

Preziosi has enjoyed successful dealings with Inter in the past having sold the European champions Diego Milito and Thiago Motta last year.

"On one hand I'm sorry to let a player like that go but, on the other hand, decisions have to be made," said Preziosi.

"We can say we have found a mutually satisfactory agreement."

Ranocchia is set to train with the world, European and Italian champions when they resume work after the mid-season break on Wednesday with his move being made official when the January transfer window opens.

Inter already in action - no suprises there.

Jonathan Woodgate and Soren Larsen are now loan targets for Tony Mowbray. As injury prone as he is, I've always liked Woodgate and would welcome him back with open arms.

Moyes has said he doesn't have the money to spend so it looks like Wheater and O'Neil's only interest is from Wolves.

He's a 28 year old who has played his entire career in America. If he was actually that good clubs would have been sniffing around him years ago.

And what is your point there? It is clear Houllier doesn't like Stephen Ireland. I take it you haven't spoken to any Man City fans this season? Clearly not as Milner has been labelled as their worst player since they were bought out. He had one very good game, this season and that was wearing a Villa top. Milner is on the bench constantly and only last week City fans wanted rid next summer on the Bluemoon forum. The only way James Milner is laughing more than Ireland is because of his new pay cheque each week.

Edited by ONO

He's a 28 year old who has played his entire career in America. If he was actually that good clubs would have been sniffing around him years ago.

He's only been "pro" since '07. He went to college, soccer players do that over here.

Add that to the CONCACAF/MLS bias and it isn't surprising that he's OMFG 28 before people take a serious look at him. He's had looks before but they essentially went the way of "yea but he's doing it in MLS soooooooo"

Who was looking at him before? Clubs have signed MLS players before and given them chance, so the whole MLS conspiracy is frankly bollocks.

It is about the same standard of League 1 at times. Any proper football fan would never deny that. It's a retirement home for players to earn big bucks that is all.

Also, if other clubs had been looking at him then obviously they were aware that he played in America, yet they still checked him out? Doesn't exactly convince me that they changed their mind because of the MLS bias.

Edited by ONO

Who was looking at him before? Clubs have signed MLS players before and given them chance, so the whole MLS conspiracy is frankly bollocks.

It is about the same standard of League 1 at times. Any proper football fan would never deny that. It's a retirement home for players to earn big bucks that is all.

Also, if other clubs had been looking at him then obviously they were aware that he played in America, yet they still checked him out? Doesn't exactly convince me that they changed their mind because of the MLS bias.

I rest my case.

Cummings has had Mexican clubs and other European clubs (Danish, Swedish, Belgian, and I believe Portugese) drop in on him.

Yeah clubs have signed MLS - AMERICAN players before (and mostly, ones that were on the USMNT or the "hot list" for the USMNT). Rarely are CONCACAF region players that have majorily played in the MLS given opportunities from the "big clubs" ... the league/region are always cast over thanks to our South American counterparts.

And what is your point there? It is clear Houllier doesn't like Stephen Ireland. I take it you haven't spoken to any Man City fans this season? Clearly not as Milner has been labelled as their worst player since they were bought out. He had one very good game, this season and that was wearing a Villa top. Milner is on the bench constantly and only last week City fans wanted rid next summer on the Bluemoon forum. The only way James Milner is laughing more than Ireland is because of his new pay cheque each week.

I think most Man City fans only want rid of players like Milner as they're still convinced the City of Manchester stadium is an attractive destination for Messi, amongst others.

I think most Man City fans only want rid of players like Milner as they're still convinced the City of Manchester stadium is an attractive destination for Messi, amongst others.

No. You haven't seen him play in a City top this year.

Edited by ONO

• Admin
Skysports.com understands Liverpool have rejected a loan offer from Birmingham City for Ryan Babel.

Birmingham have been long-term admirers of the Holland international and tried to sign Babel during the last January transfer window.

A summer move to St Andrews was again mooted for the attacker, while Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham United were also showing an interest in the 24-year-old.

Babel has continued to struggle to make an impression at Anfield and has started only one Premier League game for Liverpool this season.

With the transfer window set to reopen, Babel's future has again come under scrutiny, with Birmingham making a fresh attempt to sign the former Ajax youngster.

Blues boss Alex McLeish is keen to add a more incisive element to his squad next month and tried to bring in Babel on a temporary basis.

However, it is understood to have been rejected by the Reds as McLeish's counterpart Roy Hodgson seeks to keep his current squad intact.

Could Babel end up staying at Liverpool come Febuary? Didn't Hodgson start playing him through the middle? Either way I think Roy won't want to sell anyone until the end of the season.

Also, Malaga (owned by Qatari Sheikh Al-Thani) have signed Julio Baptista, Martin Demichelis, Ignacio Camacho and Sergio Asenjo. And they're coached by Pellegrini.

EDIT: Edin Dzeko is in advanced talks with Man City over a January move. Reports claim that City are ready to pay 30million Euros (£25.6m) immediately for Dzeko and a further 5m Euros (£4.3m) if the club qualify for the UEFA Champions League.

Edited by CM Lineker

Also, Malaga (owned by Qatari Sheikh Al-Thani) have signed Julio Baptista, Martin Demichelis, Ignacio Camacho and Sergio Asenjo. And they're coached by Pellegrini.

Wonderful news.

Macheda possibly out on loan in the January market. On one hand I'm not too happy as I'm a big fan of his, but on the other hand it could work out well in the end. With Little Pea, Rooney, Owen and Berbatov around, maybe it's best for Macheda to go out for six months and get frequent first team action. Possibly to Juve or Lazio, should certainly be Italy.

Macheda possibly out on loan in the January market. On one hand I'm not too happy as I'm a big fan of his, but on the other hand it could work out well in the end. With Little Pea, Rooney, Owen and Berbatov around, maybe it's best for Macheda to go out for six months and get frequent first team action. Possibly to Juve or Lazio, should certainly be Italy.

You mean the 2 or 3 sub appearances he'll make before being injured again? I wouldn't exactly classify him as "around". I've always maintained that Macheda isn't that great from what I've seen, but if he is to make it big, with those 3 around and Welbeck to come back too, I can't see it being at United.

• Admin
Stoke have finally got their man after landing Jermaine Pennant on a permanent deal from Real Zaragoza.

The 27-year-old winger has joined the Potters on a two-and-a-half-year deal following a successful four-month loan spell with the club.

After hard negotiations, the two clubs have agreed an initial fee of £1.725million which could rise to £2.8million in the future.

Stoke refused to be held to ransom over a player Zaragoza signed on a free transfer from Liverpool in July 2009 and chief executive Tony Scholes believed they had paid a fair price to secure his services.

"We have been working very hard over the past couple of weeks to do the right deal for this club," he told the club's official website.

"We are delighted to secure Jermaine's long-term future at the Britannia Stadium because over the past few months he has emerged as a key figure in the manager's plans."

The Potters are now awaiting international clearance and registration by the FA and Premier League and boss Tony Pulis is delighted to have finally secured his signature.

The Stoke boss said: "This is fantastic news, just what we all wanted.

"Jermaine has made such a big impact since he has been with us and he has become a big favourite with the supporters, so I know that everyone will be delighted that we have completed this signing.

"The important thing has been getting him comfortable and settled, and now that we have done that I am sure he can go on to play an even bigger part in our plans.

"Natural wingers are hard to come by, but we have two of them with Jermaine on the right and Matty Etherington on the left, so that gives us a real threat down both flanks."

Former Birmingham and Liverpool winger Pennant is also relieved the deal has gone through.

"I think everyone knows how I feel about being at this football club," he said.

"The supporters, players and management have been absolutely fantastic to me over these past four months and I desperately wanted to stay here because I love it so much."

He added: "I know I have only been here a few months, but it really does feel like I have been here for years.

"The atmosphere around the place is brilliant, so I am looking forward to the fact that I am here at Stoke now for the long term and back in the best league in the world."