The January Transfer Window 2011

Lineker

A loan move will do him no harm at all if he gets regular football, although I would have really preferred it to be in the Premier League. There are quite a few teams that could really do with someone like Macheda upfront and establishing himself in this league in the same way Welbeck, Cleverley and Diouf are doing would really help his development. I would have thought a team like Everton would be ideal for Macheda considering they need a striker, have limited funds to buy one and have plenty of talented footballers to provide him chances. I'll agree that he is overhyped due to that goal against Villa but he's shown more than enough potential in his appearances to suggest he has a big future in the game if he gets the chance to develop his skills.

• Admin
Wigan Athletic have confirmed the signing of former Spanish Under-21 international Adrian Lopez.

The 23-year-old departed former club Deportivo La Coruna last summer and he initially trained with Wigan in August.

The Latics offered him terms, but the deal has been held up as they needed Fifa to approve the deal.

International clearance has now been received and Wigan will not pay any compensation for the former Spanish youth star, as it was deemed he was a free agent.

"We've been waiting a while for the Fifa resolution and it's great to see Adrian's desire to play for Wigan Athletic can finally be fulfilled," Wigan boss Roberto Martinez said.

"He is a player with a fantastic football education, coming through the ranks of Deportivo La Coruna and playing for Spain at U19 and U21 level, which gives him a unique development, and makes him a defender with real potential.

"He is a defender who is very calm under pressure, and is a great reader of the game, and I am confident he will be able to fulfil his potential at Wigan. He is desperate to help the squad to win games for Wigan Athletic."

Good signing for them, they need to stop shipping goals. Brad Guzan has apparently signed for Hull but it isn't exactly clear whether it's permanent or just a loan deal (which I'd have thought as I was led to believe Houllier wanted Friedel out come summertime).

Carew to Albion?

Fuck no, please. If we got him, he would be our second best striker, which means: All our other strikers are lost causes & that we've just signed a rival player who the fans will never grow to like because he isn't exactly great. Maybe good for 2 or 3 goals coming off the bench from now until the end of the year, but I'm not content that that would do much for us besides pull up our shite goal difference.

I really want David N'Gog. There was a lot of talk of him coming in on loan at the start of the year, but he snubbed us to fight for a place in the starting line-up at Liverpool. Hopefully now though, he might decide to jump on board til the end of the season seeing as the scousers have some finnancial backing and Torres is clearly going to play when fit, and Dirk Kuyt can easily fill that void left by Torres when he's injured bearing in mind Roy's tactics.

• Admin

Ronaldinho's agent / brother confirms he is in talks with Blackburn.

If Ronaldinho ends up at Blackburn I'll eat the next hat-like peice of clothing I wear.

Seconded.

Apparently Beckham to Spurs is a done deal but it is just yet to be officially announced.

The Beckham deal seems really strange.

Why would Spurs, a team that relies on pace and counter attacking... sign someone who can't run?

EDIT: And yes, I know it'd sell loads of shirts... but really? Is that worth sacrificing a shot at a Champions League place again?

Edited by The General

The Beckham deal seems really strange.

Why would Spurs, a team that relies on pace and counter attacking... sign someone who can't run?

EDIT: And yes, I know it'd sell loads of shirts... but really? Is that worth sacrificing a shot at a Champions League place again?

It could be down to the fact that he's still one of the best passers in football? Or due to the fact he can still get it done at the top level? Or because he can still produce special moments when they're sometimes needed? Or how he could really help some of the younger part of the squad?

Some people just don't seem to get it. Bringing in Beckham on loan like this could and likely will work wonders, whether on or off of the pitch. Harry summed it up in his interview really with how important a player like Beckham could be when in need of something in the last twenty five minutes of a game. Some people seem to be believing he'd start every game, which is never what is intended.

Personally I'd take him all day at United and it's a shame it wont happen. If it goes ahead and he goes to Spurs for the three months, they've done a great job.

We'll probably go back in for Craig Bryson from Kilmarnock again although not sure why because we don't need him.

A horrible rumour that Liam Miller will be joining from Hibs is doing the round, which hopefully just remains a rumour because he's absolutely terrible.

Ideally, Jefferies would go after an experienced right back because even though Jonssons playing well right now, he's not a right back by trade and the 2 Thomsons aren't ready yet.

Then it's just a case of keeping players like Templeton, Wallace and Kello and it'll be a successful window.

It's weird having a window come and there's really not much areas that need improved straight away.

• Admin

Beckham started out with Spurs training as a youngster before he turned pro with Utd.

Beckham losing pace is not a big deal, he never had any! His passing ability is fantastic and with Huddlestone still a long way away from fitness he can replace him as 'the quarterback'. Plus, he's an absolute top pro and would be a terrific influence off the pitch on our youngsters - part of the reason we've recalled Bostock and Townsend. For two months there is absolutely no reason for us not to do this deal. He's still got it, at least to come on for 30 minute bursts.

I'm thinking will it now be a double substitution late on, with van der Vaart off for Crouch and Lennon off for Beckham? Anything otherwise its a backwards step for a pacy counterattacking team, despite Beckhams commitment to uber-fitness he's not quick enough for much more in the Premiership at this stage.

• Admin

It's a two month deal where he wouldn't be a starter anyway, kind of hard to draw too many con's for me, any that there are are heavily out-weighed by the pro's. Harry also has a proven track record of getting the most out of aging players - i.e. Kane, Sheringham, Gallas (to an extent) now...

Macheda's agent saying that he is set to join Sampdoria on loan.

^ Fuck, we've declared interest in Macheda. I'd have him - he could definately fit into the way we play football and kick that piss-poor Fortune off the bench, if we were to get him I would even start him against Wigan and Blackpool this month because Odemwingie is wrecked. I really think plying his trade at a lower-Prem footballing side would work wonders for him, similar to Danny Welbeck at Sunderland.

Arca is an Albion and Wolves Target

I'd love to get Arca. I really think he is a solid player, works really hard - he's always been one of Borough's better players. Nice feet, too. He would also fit in well with us rather than the stop and start Dingle philosophy who pretty much rely on their wingers to get balls in to Ebanks-Blake. I think we should go in for him as he'll be cheap with his contract coming to an end and Di Matteo doesn't seem to know who he wants at Left Back, and extra defensive midfield cover seeing as Scharner will need to play Centre Back for the next few games with OIsson, Tamas and Ibanez all gone, leaving Dorrans and Mulumbu our only two proven holding midfielders (and even then Dorrans isn't a natural defensive midfielder but rather a deep playmaker who likes to run forward) now that Reid seems to be out for a few games.

I'm sure I've seen him play Centre Back for Middlesborough, too, so that will help as Meite is SHIT and you need four decent/good/class centre backs in the Premier League.