Golden Globes 2011

GoGo Yubari

Everyone seems to think DiCaprio is suddenly a good actor just because he's taken a few good roles. Lets not get ahead of ourselves here, the guy has gotten BETTER, but by no means is he particularly that good yet.

I hope Inception doesn't win. I love Nolan, but man, it never managed to be more than entertaining for me. I hope Modern Family can pick up an award somewhere, the show isn't quite as good as Community, but it always manages to be at least entertaining, if not great.

DiCaprio has been operating at an incredibly high level since 2002. That's not "taking a few roles." He's been incredible for the past 8 years and has collaborated with Scorsece four times after being personally recommended by Robert DeNiro. Yeah, he's awards-worthy. Hell, he was awards-worthy 16 years ago in Gilbert Grape.

That said, if Colin Firth doesn't win best actor this year, somebody counted something wrong.

That joke was really clumsy. As was much of Gervais' material tonight. Pretty sure he's never hosting an awards show on network TV again unless they're looking for controversy.

Yeah, DiCaprio's been absolutely fantastic since Catch Me If You Can, not a bad performance since.

I should've turned this show off after Katey Sagal won, that was the highlight of the show for me, except for Ricky's joke at the end. Other than that though, I just can't bring myself to care about The Social Network... it's a movie about goddamn Facebook, it can't possibly be that good. Awesome that Reznor won for best score, but still, it's a movie about Facebook. Can't wait to hear what Reznor does with Fincher's take on The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo though.

Other thoughts:

Toy Story 3 was the best movie of 2010, period.

Yay for Claire Danes, I'll watch her in anything.

De Niro was great.

Natalie Portman is a huge dork, but I love her anyway.

Hopefully all the awards will encourage the Glee writers to stop sucking.

I need to see The Kids Are Alright.

Boardwalk Empire? More like BOREDwalk Empire!

Fuck The Big Bang Theory. Fuck it up its stupid ass.

No love for the AMC trifecta of awesome? Bullshit.

• Like 1

Honestly Zero, The Social Network is more than just a movie about Facebook. The whole Facebook side of it is more of a setting or a backdrop. Zuckerberg and his interactions with everyone, along with that fantastic score, are the highlights. Movie of the year? Debatable, but more than just a "Facebook movie."

Seriously, I love you (and Kaney who did this too tonight) but "it's a movie about Facebook" ceased being a good reason to dislike it without seeing it like half a year ago.

I will say that Boardwalk and Buscemi winning was dumb, and I genuinely like Boardwalk and love Buscemi. Buscemi won because he's a universally respected film actor doing TV, and Boardwalk won on the strength of reputation.

• Like 3

I know, I know, I'm being a dick about it, but something about making a movie about the guy who created Facebook just seems patently absurd. The fantastic score, the metaphors for how we communicate in today's world, Zuckerberg's nuttiness all sound great... but for some reason, I just can't get over the fact that it's a movie about Facebook and the people who created it, who I couldn't give less than a fuck about. I'll totally see it when it comes out on Netflix, but still... FACEBOOK!?

Facebook is, obviously, a big part of today's society. Not just for people who enjoy wasting their days, but for major companies to interact and garner interest from a giant hub of people. It doesn't just have to do with putting up a status anymore, it's a major promotional tool that has added another step for companies to digitize themselves. Facebook is a BIG deal, so I don't see why it's not worthy of getting a film made on its (not so) humble beginnings.

• Like 2

MP3 players are a big part of today's society too, but no one's made iPod: The Movie.

Now to be fair, there have been great movies made about simple inventions, like Flash of Genius about the guy who made the windshield wiper, but I think that's part of my issue with this movie... it's about history that's happening right now. Facebook's not even seven years old, it just seems silly to make a movie about it at this moment in time. But again, I haven't seen it, so I'll probably be eating humble pie when I eventually do.

In my mind there isn't a better actor on the planet than DiCaprio. Fucking immense in every role I've had the pleasure of seeing him in. He makes every role his own too, just outstanding. Not just good, but fantastic.

Glad I missed this as nothing I wanted to win actually won. Nothing for Dexter was a shame and Inception winning nothing is madness. Toy Story 3 was always going to win the Animated award, but I really wanted Despicable Me to take it, bloody brilliant movie.

Still haven't seen The Social Network, really been meaning to but haven't got round to it yet.

Saying The Social Network is a film about Facebook is like saying Star Wars is about space exploration. It is present but the focus of the film is never on it. TSN is about the people and their complex web of relationships between one another, the centrepiece of the film being the friendship between Zuckerberg and Saverin, and the betrayal that came with that relationship.

Even then though, the Facebook story is very interesting in itself. Zuckerberg as a person, the development of the idea, the association with Sean Parker, the lawsuits - it is a gripping timeline of events. More than meets the eye with the story and you'd be pleasantly surprised by it, as I was when I first watched it.

The story and the soundtrack aside, the cast in this is stupendous. I would actually say out of the main characters Jesse Eisenberg as Mark Zuckerberg is the weakest. Andrew Garfield is brilliant, Justin Timberlake is surprisingly great, and Armie Hammer as the Winklevoss twins is a stand out for his comic presence. Not to say Eisenberg isn't great also, he is the one getting the nominations after all, but that just says how strong the entire cast is.

• Like 1

I pretty much never agree with these kind of award shows anyway, like when The Dark Knight didn't win, and now Inception gets nothing? Bullshit. DiCaprio is the number one male actor in the world now, amazing performances since 2002.

Yeah, see, stuff like this is why I don't buy into DiCarpios hype. Sure he's good, but people can seriously say this when guys like Gary Oldman, De Niro and so on and so forth are still making films? Yeah, he's a fine actor, but he's really not the second coming of Laurence Olivier that people seem to think he is.