2011 ICC World Cup Thread

sahyder1

Not the greatest of pictures, because a Canada shirt is showing up for me. >_>

There are two players in the picture.

strauss%2Bfront.jpg

strauss%2Bside.jpg

I did catch part of the opening ceremony. Not really my cup of tea but it looked like they put on a great show. Can't wait for the games to start even though the start times will be brutal for me here in the US. Most matches are starting 11 PM and 3 AM our time.

Edited by sahyder1

This World Cup is too long and it's all down to advertising and TV rights in India. :angry:

It is a shorter tournament then last time around though. Supposedly will just be a 10 team tournament in 2015. If they do that I really hope they do a round robin format like 1992 when everyone played everyone. I like seeing the Associate countries in the World Cup though. It is good for the growth of the game. Maybe they'll compromise down to 12 teams? The current ICC plan calls for an increase in the number of teams that'll playing in the Twenty20 Cup and reducing the ones in the World Cup.

It's the massive league system.

I hear it on good journalistic authority that these two big groups have been done because of the massive loss in sponsorship and TV figures last time around when India and Pakistan went out relatively early.

I'd rather they played it more like the football world cup - smaller groups, wham bam, excitement.

You could even have say 4 groups of 5 with the top 2 going through from each if you wanted MORE teams in it or stick to the four groups of four. Jazz up each game big time and you're laughing.

Thing is, really, West Indies tournament included, modern World Cups are run by sub-continent TV companies and advertisers because it is HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh (and somewhat in Sri Lanka) while most of the other big nations also compete in other big sports tournaments.

RUGBY WORLD CUP: England, SA, Aus, New Zealand

FOOTY WORLD CUP: England, SA, Aus, even New Zealand last time around.

OLYMPIC SPORTS: Definitely Aus and Britain and the others get some medals too....while India and Pakistan are kind of relying on shooting and other "minor" events.

Add to that the regional events like Six Nations and Three Nations rugby and the Euro Championships and Asian Cup in Footy.

I agree completely. ICC changed the format for this World Cup because Pakistan and India getting eliminated in the previous World Cup was bad for the ICC financially. People complained that the 2007 tournament went on for too long but I wasn't one of them. I liked that group setup. If we are going to cut down the teams I hope they go to the 1992 setup and let everyone play everyone. Group setups like the one in play where it is pretty much known who the 8 teams to advance will be are no fun as a fan.

Disappointed that Bangladesh didn't get to 300. Really thought they would get there at one point. Net Run Rate could become a factor for them later on in the tournament. Terrible luck Kayes had there. A few more overs of him hitting might have woken Tamim Iqbal up too. A lot of people have been labeling India as one of the favorites but I just don't see that happening. Their bowling is terrible. The upper echelon teams will hit these guys all over the place.

Anyone watching this Kenya/New Zealand match? Kenya all out for 69. I think I'm gonna sleep for a few hours and wake up early for Sri Lanka/Canada. Really think Canada has the potential to pull off an upset at this tournament. Hopefully Cheema and Davidson get a chance to put on a show.

Aussies lost Haddin and Watson because of the 3rd Umpire reversing the on-field call, and Ponting was the victim of an awesome throw for the direct hit run-out.

A few overs left, 227-4. Not the best batting innings, but I still think Australia will bowl them for < 200. We have a game, at least!