2011 ICC World Cup Thread

sahyder1

Honestly I think the England/India game this afternoon was the best ODI I have ever watched. Even though we should have won with the position we was in with 10 overs to go, I think a share of the spoils was fair in the end. Puts England in a good position now to get through the group.

Guest mr. potato head

Oh, yeah, Zimbabwe should easily win this. There was a headline in the Toronto Star today along the lines of "Zimbabwe could pose enough threat to Canadian cricket side"...that's just most people here knowing nothing about the sport and thinking it's impossible Zimbabwe could beat us at anything. A bit like saying "WWE could pose enough threat to TNA's bid to be world's best wrestling company".

Oh, yeah, Zimbabwe should easily win this. There was a headline in the Toronto Star today along the lines of "Zimbabwe could pose enough threat to Canadian cricket side"...that's just most people here knowing nothing about the sport and thinking it's impossible Zimbabwe could beat us at anything. A bit like saying "WWE could pose enough threat to TNA's bid to be world's best wrestling company".

I just find it so funny that Davo is still going around for the Canadians. His ton at '03 World Cup was awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko4IZ9WHl1g

EDIT: Vasbert Drakes' insane catch is in there too! Awesome.

True story. When I was in middle school in Canada I had a French teacher named John Davison. When I first heard his name on Canada's 2003 World Cup roster I did a quick Yahoo search to see if it was the same guy. It wasn't.

What an inning that was though.

Edited by sahyder1

Bloody hell, Pollard's playing a blinder for the West Indies. Admittedly, the Netherlands bowling attack isn't earth-shattering, but he's got 42 of 16 balls (4 4s, 3 6s) at the moment. Run Rate's 6.3 - be interested to see how Netherlands fare as the Windies bowling seemed pretty poor against South Africa (from the highlights I've seen).

EDIT: Just realised I've spelt Jonathan wrong - I'm such a monkey. We're still making this a thing though, Baddar. Cricketer's names, it's gonna be huge.

Pollard's just got out - 60 off 27 balls. Outstanding work from him, especially considering he got a golden duck against South Africa.

Am loving ChrisSteeleAteMySwann, that must be made so. After his last-over heroics against the Netherlands, Ajmal Gazzhad must be a shoe-in, right?

So, since there's actually a handful of us following this I figured it a good idea to post the dates and times of the matches that actually will prove interesting until the end of the group stage.

I'm posting the times in GMT.

March 4 - 08:30 Bangladesh vs. West Indies

March 5 - 09:00 Sri Lanka vs. Australia

March 6 - 04:00 England vs. South Africa

March 8 - 09:00 Pakistan vs. New Zealand

March 11 - 08:30 Bangladesh vs. England

March 12 - 09:00 India vs. South Africa

March 17 - 09:00 England vs. West Indies

March 19 - 03:30 Bangladesh vs. South Africa

March 19 - 09:00 Pakistan vs. Australia

March 20 - 09:00 India vs. West Indies

Besides these, every match seems a foregone conclusion. Some might argue I'm being a bit generous to Bangladesh and New Zealand too. Granted upsets will happen, it's hard for most of us to decide to wake up at 3:30 (or in the case of us in the States to stay awake through the entire match). I basically listed these matches to see if there would be any interest in making an effort to get online and chat about them as they are going on. We did well enough with Sri Lanka-Pakistan and India-England, so let me know what you think.

Yeah, NZ can cause an upset against Pakistan too, I think providing they bat well enough. Wouldn't bet on it, mind.

And seeing as I'm off this week, I'll be watching the Eng-Ire and Eng-South Africa games in full. At least, that's the plan.

The other games are on Friday and Thursday, respectively, but I'm home from work at around 11.30am and we've got SkySports in work, so I won't miss much.

Also, why are you guys posted in this thread if you haven't changed your name to suit the tournament? If you aren't donator's, I'm sure Hammy could help you out for the duration of the trend, at least. :shifty: