Duke Nukem Forever....May 3rd!

Toe

Can't wait for this. I'll be running our store's midnight launch for the Duke, got signs planned and prize giveaways. It's all very exciting stuff.

Still trying to come up with some good prizes though. And contests for the prizes. Originally wanted to do a flattop contest but our midnight was only confirmed as going down last week so that's a little short-notice to pull on people. Maybe best Duke impressions, trivia, maybe do some blackjack tournament... I've got some ideas flowing. Plus, we've got this massive standee in our store where you can put your face in the hole where the chick with Duke's face is and I thought pictures with the Duke would be a cool little thing. Have people leave their emails and we send them the pictures later on.

All in all, I want this thing to be huge. Even though our store is small and chances are we're going to get a small number of people to turn up for it (even when our preorders break 50 there's still usually only 20 people max who turn up) I want to make it worth it for that small group of people. It's Duke Nukem, after-all, you either go big or you don't go at all.

It came for me yesterday and I really like it well mainly cause i'm a Duke Nukem fan anyway haha. It's a good game and while its not your greatest looking in terms that some people who haven't played Duke Nukem would be thinking "Urgh it doesnt look as good as other first person shooters I can't say I haven't had a laugh or had fun while playing it., multiplayer is alright it could be better but it could be awhole lot worse you could have a laugh on it with shrinkrays and stomping people etc etc. Loading times could annoy you but other than that it's a good game :)

Not all of the reviews have been negative, I saw a review from PC Gamer that was reasonably positive and gave it 80%.

I personally think it's a game that's great fun that doesn't really take itself seriously. It's also varied and challenging enough - even on Piece of Cake - that it's not just a mindless slog through enemies. A couple of my friends have played it as well, and agree that it is a good game; one of them specifically said that the graphics aren't that bad and that people are whiners.

I also think it's worth noting that the game hasn't had its worldwide release yet, so we haven't seen all of the reviews that will come out, so I wouldn't write it off just yet. I would personally call the game a worthy, modern successor to Duke Nukem 3D. Which is essentially what they aimed for I'm fairly sure.

It's silly, fun, and just generally your usual FPS but with crude humour. It's Duke Nukem. It is what it is.

The only gripe I have is that the loading times are absolutely horrendous. I'm not using any hyperbole when I say that they are the longest loading times I've ever experienced, perhaps outside of a ridiculously over-sized database of Football Manager.

Some people have criticised the graphics - those people just do not understand the brilliant charm of a game taking 15 years and the graphics looking the way they do. It's not that they look bad at all, they just look dated.

The only gripe I have is that the loading times are absolutely horrendous. I'm not using any hyperbole when I say that they are the longest loading times I've ever experienced, perhaps outside of a ridiculously over-sized database of Football Manager.

The longest I've ever experienced was Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex for PS2, where every single level involved a loading time of at least 58 seconds.

You should time it to be sure. :shifty:

It's silly, fun, and just generally your usual FPS but with crude humour. It's Duke Nukem. It is what it is.

Some people have criticised the graphics - those people just do not understand the brilliant charm of a game taking 15 years and the graphics looking the way they do. It's not that they look bad at all, they just look dated.

Surely it's a perfectly reasonable criticism for a game that's taken 15 years to come out that it looks dated? As in, what the hell were they doing for 15 years? I mean I don't think it looks that bad, not really up to the standard of a Call of Duty or even Bulletstorm, but I don't think you can have a go at people for expecting more of something that's taken 15 years to make.

People haven't been working on the game every single day for a full fifteen years though. That kind of bugs me, because the game you're playing now is going to be pretty much nothing at all like the original design for DNF. The title has been in development hell for fifteen years but the game itself hasn't.