Duke Nukem Forever....May 3rd!

Toe

Graphics are fine. In fact, my comp is struggling on a couple of moments with everything turned down.

Amazing how one year I can go from playing any game on the highest settings, and now every new game checks my computer, puts it on the highest settings because it thinks it can run it, then it chugs to shit.

So I beat the game on Piece of Cake, and I'm playing again on the next difficulty up - which I believe is Let's Rock - and I came across a rather awesome piece of music that I didn't notice the first time. I can't think of a not-awkward way to say this properly with spoiler tags, but at one point in the second half of the game the BGM is a hard rock/metal remix of Ride of the Valkyries, which is just crazy awesome.

In fact,

I can't think of a not-awkward way to say this properly with spoiler tags, but at one point in the second half of the game the BGM is a hard rock/metal remix of Ride of the Valkyries, which is just crazy awesome.

In fact,

This is stupid.

Somebody put it in MIDI format and we'll talk.

Edited by Sousa

Well alright - here I go.

I picked the game up today and when I got home from work instantly popped it in, I was in the right mindset for playing a Duke Nukem game and was pretty pumped to get underway. I heavily enjoyed the very short tutorial intro, which is basically Duke actually playing Duke Nukem Forever, which basically takes place like a high budget film version of the football arena fight from Duke Nukem 3D. Moving on from there I instantly realized this wasn't going to be the sort of free roaming experience that 3D was, there wasn't going to be any instances of me moving around the levels mashing on the Use button and hearing "UMMPH, UMMPH, WHERE IS IT?" but instead it was going to be more of a hand holding experience with some secrets here and there.

One thing I have to say is that I like the ego meter, and the ways that you increase it. Hell, the first thing I did when I got out of tutorial was sink all the balls on the pool table.. I remember doing that in 3D a fuckload of times but all of the human interaction just really made me feel out of place. Sure, being Duke everyone around you gets torn up eventually unless they're one of the admitedly entertaining support characters but eh. I've been playing on and off all day and made it to the Duke Dome portion.. the gunplay is pretty good I'd say, about what I would expect from a Duke Nukem game. Part of me did want to see aiming down the sights and a cover system, but thinking about it this works FAR better as something that reminds me of Serious Sam with a buttload of the difficulty taken out.

That's not to say I haven't found frustration - oh hell, I have found it in the load times and the fact that when I die on particularly hard portions.. I have to sit through them and then do a bit that has dialogue (sometimes) before I can attempt the boss battle again. It's a pain, but luckily I have other distractions while I'm playing that doesn't make it all that hard to bear. I tried multiplayer too, and while I enjoy the unlockables I really hope they fix the lag and find a way to implement a better aiming system. OR maybe I just suck at it.

That's what I think for now - this is probably.. and I'm thinking probably going to be traded in at some point before it goes down in value, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Blowing away everything with the shotgun is very satisfying.

This forever. Even when I went for the Gunslinger achievement, more often than not my second weapon was a shotgun.

There are weapons other than the shotgun?

I swear to Duke, the shotgun in this is what it should be like in EVERY game. The only problem is that it blows all the other guns away... no pun intended.

Blowing away everything with the shotgun is very satisfying.

This forever. Even when I went for the Gunslinger achievement, more often than not my second weapon was a shotgun.

There are weapons other than the shotgun?

I swear to Duke, the shotgun in this is what it should be like in EVERY game. The only problem is that it blows all the other guns away... no pun intended.

The shrinkray's always good for a laugh. The railgun's more useful at ridiculous ranges and one particular bit in the game where the aliens get their hands on a turret. The RPG is fun to blast at large groups of enemies and watching them go splat.

But yes. The shotgun is basically the weapon in Duke Nukem.

I actually know a guy who used to work on this and did so for five years before being laid off about 5/6 years ago when they sacked most of the team and just left the core.

When the game was picked up again they just SCALED BACK the work that had been done on it (levels smaller, shorter game, fewer features etc etc), didn't really work on the graphics at all and then released it.

I dont know if anyone remembers it, but the longest load times Ive ever experianced were Legacy of Kain on the PS1. My god. It had load times just to say something to you, and even that took 5 seconds for a 12 second sound byte.

I once had a Commadore 64. 'Nuff sad.

• Like 1