2011 MLB Season

sahyder1

Cubs Fire Mike Quade - http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/7182270/chicago-cubs-release-manager-mike-quade

So Theo has fired Quade, as expected, and is looking for a manager to start with a 'clean slate' and take them in a different direction. One person who will not be considered is Ryne Sandberg.

HOWEVER, The Phillies have OK'ed Sandberg to talk with The Cardinals for their open position.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7182684/philadelphia-phillies-give-st-louis-cardinals-ok-talk-ryne-sandberg-source-says

Going to be interesting to see who goes where.

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111104&content_id=25915372&vkey=news_phi&c_id=phi

Phillies and Jim Thome agree to a 1-year deal. Howard could miss some time with his achillies and as much as I love Jim Thome, he hasn't played a regular 1st Base in a long long time, so I would think that Mayberry would start there at the beginning of the season if Howard had to miss any time? I mean I guess Thome could be an ok short-term stop gap, but he'll most likely be the lefty off the bench. All that being said, I love the fact that he has come back to town. I have always been a Thome fan.

There's a poll question up on ESPN.com's MLB page and it asks which job is more appealing, the Red Sox or the Cubs and the vote was 68% to 32% respectively. I would like to know who was apart of that 32% for the Cubs so I can punch them in the face for being dumb.

Beat writers from pretty much every team rumored to be in the hunt for Reyes have said they highly doubt their respective teams will pony up the money and years he'll want. Leaves me mildly optimistic that he'll wind up returning to the Mets for 5 years and around $95-100 million, possibly with an option based on games played.

I realize that the Mets aren't going to contend in 2012 whether Reyes is there or not...but dammit, he's the most fun player I've ever seen in a Mets uniform. Games are worth watching just to see him lace triples and steal bases.

Beat writers from pretty much every team rumored to be in the hunt for Reyes have said they highly doubt their respective teams will pony up the money and years he'll want. Leaves me mildly optimistic that he'll wind up returning to the Mets for 5 years and around $95-100 million, possibly with an option based on games played.

I realize that the Mets aren't going to contend in 2012 whether Reyes is there or not...but dammit, he's the most fun player I've ever seen in a Mets uniform. Games are worth watching just to see him lace triples and steal bases.

He's way too injury prone to command a Crawford salary. My friend did bring up a good point that he could be one of those players who magically never gets hurt for more than a couple days at a time if he's on a contender. He certainly wouldn't be the first.

I was really hoping that a good athlete would stay in Cleveland. :(

You should know better by now.

• Like 3

Papelbon reportedly to the Phils. 4 years, approaching 50 million. Yep, definitely the best way to address a team with an injured first baseman, a free agent shortstop and an aging core.