Dubstep

Gene Kiniski

All the cool kids love Dubstep. That's probably why I don't like it.

I just can't get into it. I liked the In For The Kill dubstep remix but aside from that nothing has really connected with me. I thought it was just a fad genre but it looks like it's here to stay. But then again, I thought that about Garage but that has all but disappeared now.

Thanks to the couple of you that actually sent me in the direction I needed.

Why, no one is going to come to a party you host anyway.

What's the point of that, Sean? Yeah, I used to be an EWR-esque poster back in the day but I've mellowed out quite a bit and actually contribute to the board these days instead of being all hotheaded and negative. Why flame when all I did was ask some music recommendation?

All the cool kids love Dubstep. That's probably why I don't like it.

I just can't get into it. I liked the In For The Kill dubstep remix but aside from that nothing has really connected with me. I thought it was just a fad genre but it looks like it's here to stay. But then again, I thought that about Garage but that has all but disappeared now.

I'm not completely sold on it yet myself, but I've been attending a decent amount of dubstep parties lately so I'm trying to expand my knowledge of it. I'm going to attempt to mix some myself so I'm trying to get an idea of the good stuff versus the not so good stuff in the genre.

The trouble I've found with dubstep is that there's a LOT of shit to wade through, and it seems to be made of 90% remixes - that's fine to an extent, but I'd like some more original stuff too.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dragsy#grid/user/CB18970E03259BB4

^^ That's basically the product of my semi-regularly trawling for stuff over the past few months. I'd particularly recommend the following though:

"Warrior" by J.O.B. ft. Anjulie

"Father Said" by Skrillex

..and you can't really go wrong with anything by http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJlo0hWnZWc,

(who tend to be a bit more chilled) or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Sh77cndLs.

EDIT: Forget to add Chasing Shadows ("Ill" is a monster, as is

) and Zed's Dead (
and
being their most memorable really).
  • Like 1

Ah, Chase and Status are a curious group. Their old album with Pieces on it was very much drum and bass, but everything I've heard since has definitely had more of a dubstep vibe. The one you've posted has definitely got the right ingredients - the "wob-wob" bass, slower tempo and the drops. I don't really like it, predominantly because of the rapping, mind.

Thanks to the couple of you that actually sent me in the direction I needed.

Why, no one is going to come to a party you host anyway.

What's the point of that, Sean? Yeah, I used to be an EWR-esque poster back in the day but I've mellowed out quite a bit and actually contribute to the board these days instead of being all hotheaded and negative. Why flame when all I did was ask some music recommendation?

The difference between 'EWR-esque posters' and the rest of us is that the rest of us accept this as someone just giving us shit. Guess where you fall?

Dubstep is alright, but I'm a gabber, baby. Rotterdam for life.

• Like 1