Download Festival: 2011

DFF

Q is horribly backwards and "safe" in terms of its coverage - very lazy writing, and they rely on "countdowns", "best evers" and "retrospectives" far too often, and rely on the same staple of examples of each, and generally take about six months before they catch on to a new band. It's a music magazine for people out of touch with music, who don't want their opinions questioned.

Not to mention that they're published by Bauer, who have the single worst approach to dealing with contributors in modern journalism, essentially stripping their contributors of anything approaching intellectual rights to their own work.

I don't think I've ever come across anyone who reads Mojo, ever.

I remember buying Q once. I was travelling on a Sunday, so didn't want to fork out for a Sunday paper (which I'd toss half of it away). So decided on a music magazine instead. Not sure why I picked Q, think I noticed something that I thought I'd like in it. It was a bit rubbish and I remember thinking "Fuck, I should have just got a 'lads mag' instead". It had something about Muse in it, and something about Pulp. All I remember. Pretty sure it was post "Black Holes...", but not sure by how much.

Edited by YI

Bizarrely enough, NME isn't bad at all these days. It used to be horrible but they got rid of that editor and now, while they do still tend to come out with absolutely ridiculous things from time to time, they've reigned in the whole sneering thing that they used to delight at. Plus the magazine as a whole doesn't take itself anwhere near as seriously anymore.

that's why it's second on my preferred lunchtime music magazine reading list. After the Word, which is genuinely very good indeed.

Oh and my point about Airbourne wasn't intended to hurt anyone's feelings or anything. It was more to do with pointing out that Metalhammer is just as much (if not more) a hard rock magazine as it is a metal magazine.

I buy MetalHammer. :( Some times. When I see it at a store and go, "OH A CD". I then skip directly to the review section and Subterranea. Because that is sort of the only interesting thing in the magazine. Unless there is a larger entry with some band I like. This isn't very often though.

Also, hey, the Download line-up is shit. As is the Sonisphere line-up. None of them beats Tuska.

(H)

Bowling For Soup, Disturbed, Linkin Park, Pendulum, Puddle of Mudd, Rob Zombie, System of a Down, The Gaslight Anthem & Twisted Sister. Along with Steel Panther being Strongly Rumoured by efestivals, I am very tempted to go to my first Download!

Literally the only thing that's stopping me is the fact i still have my Glastonbury ticket to pay for and the money I have saved is for booking a holiday in July/August. Along with the fact I don't know if I could handle two big festivals in one month.

On the plus side, I do have a birthday in 10 days, so could always ask nicely for a Download ticket as a present.

Now that ive looked into Sonisphere, there's an equal amount of bands I want to see there too, so now I can't decide between the two!

Bowling For Soup, Disturbed, Linkin Park, Pendulum, Puddle of Mudd, Rob Zombie, System of a Down, The Gaslight Anthem & Twisted Sister. Along with Steel Panther being Strongly Rumoured by efestivals, I am very tempted to go to my first Download!

Literally the only thing that's stopping me is the fact i still have my Glastonbury ticket to pay for and the money I have saved is for booking a holiday in July/August. Along with the fact I don't know if I could handle two big festivals in one month.

On the plus side, I do have a birthday in 10 days, so could always ask nicely for a Download ticket as a present.

Now that ive looked into Sonisphere, there's an equal amount of bands I want to see there too, so now I can't decide between the two!

Panther won't be at Download - maybe next year though. Oh, and eFestivals is bollocks and takes its rumours from DL's forums (whether they are actually rumours or just BS, they don't discriminate).

Panther won't be at Download - maybe next year though. Oh, and eFestivals is bollocks and takes its rumours from DL's forums (whether they are actually rumours or just BS, they don't discriminate).

This is true. eFestivals also has Soundgarden down as a strong rumour, despite there being no evidence that they'll tour outside America at all this year. Generally, the same bands (Metallica, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Rammstein etc.) appear on the site under the "Strongly Rumoured" category as early as around October, only to be removed later when it becomes clear that there was no substance to the rumours at all. It's actually quite a shame as it used to be a reasonably reliable site three or four years ago.

Okay, so the sub-headliner is The Darkness! I'm very happy about that as I never got to see them first time around.

Also announced: Funeral For A Friend, Plain White T's, Kvelertak, Framing Hanley and Hydro The Hero.

• 4 weeks later...

The latest is that its now 43 bands being announced. Also, Andy Copping announced on Twitter that one of them was CKY and that they'll be opening the main stage on Friday.

The shit you guys let on your main stages surprises the fuck out of me :P

They've been requested for years on the DL forums. Tbh, I'm surprised it's taken this long to get them. They are actually quite a sizeable band for the opener, considering in previous years we've had: Unearth, Hollywood Undead, Black Tide, Zico Chain, etc.

In other news, Dio's Disciples (the surviving members of Dio, plus Tim 'Ripper' Owens and Toby Jepson) are all but confirmed too.

Anti-Flag, Baptized In Blood, Belligerence, CKY, Biohazard, Blitz Kids, Children Of Bodom, BossHoss, Chthonic, Dan Reed, Dangerous Summer, Dead Lay Waiting, Deaf Havana, Dear Superstar, DRUGS, Dio Disciples, Envy Of The State, Heights, Illuminatus, Karma To Burn, LetLive, Oaf, Kellermensch, Lower than Atlantis, Malefice, The Morning After, My Darkest Days, October File, Rock Sugar, Royal Repubic, Sweet Savage, TRC, Skindred, Starseed, Yashin, T-34, Houston, Silverstein, Skeletal Damage, Wayne Static, Young Guns and Sevendust added to the line-up. :)

Looks like I'm going (w00t.gif). Any one been before? What's it like? Friday looks pretty sweet, Korn, Pendulum, Alter Bridge, Bring me the Horizon, Def Leppard.

Also, anyone ever been to a Korn show? Going to see them in Glasgow as well