PES 12

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on the PS3 demo and the intro has some usual intro video fare plus bits on the season modes, player movement etc and was unskippable. Didn't finish a match to find out if there would be a video again afterwards.

Not liking this much at all. Its basically PES4, my least favourite football game ever. And that includes FIFA 2003.

I do like the improved control in tight situations and the team-mate AI movement. That's it. The tackling is horrific, the CPU is able to play perfect through balls at the drop of a hat and actually scoring is ridiculous.

I've lost three games, 2-0, 1-0 and 1-0. The CPU has managed 5 shots on target in those three games, to my 35. Bullshit.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my copy this morning, bloody loving it so far. Game feels much smoother than the demo, also the speed is a bit quicker on default settings than it was in the demo.

MLO is outstanding, they've somehow managed to make it even better this year with the player contracts and form. Seriously the best mode any football game has introduced on the next gen consoles. Also, the off the ball controls are just awesome online, people are going to get battered if they don't learn how to defend and use the OTB controls.

• 2 weeks later...

Played the demo a little more 'cos I was bored. Also 'cos I always get a hankering for a new football game at this time of year and as much as I want to like FIFA 12, I can't bring myself to want to spend that much money on it.

I've actually turned the difficulty down while I get used to it. Still finding it hard to score even on an easier setting, and I can't get the hang of the off the ball team-mate controls much, but I've certainly had more fun with it. I like how much more realistic everything looks. I just scored with a toe-poker from the edge of the area; a defender came across to block it and the ball hit the inside of his leg, taking all the power out of the shot but putting the ball just that little bit further into the corner and away from the keeper's glove. Not a 'pretty' goal but it looked realistic and smooth as hell in the replays.

Some of the passing is glorious too.

Still laregly undecided about rushing out and getting it, but I'm certainly more interested than I was. Are you still playing it Johnny? Does it still hold up well after a couple of weeks?

Edited by Yoshihiro timmayyama

Played the demo a little more 'cos I was bored. Also 'cos I always get a hankering for a new football game at this time of year and as much as I want to like FIFA 12, I can't bring myself to want to spend that much money on it.

I've actually turned the difficulty down while I get used to it. Still finding it hard to score even on an easier setting, and I can't get the hang of the off the ball team-mate controls much, but I've certainly had more fun with it. I like how much more realistic everything looks. I just scored with a toe-poker from the edge of the area; a defender came across to block it and the ball hit the inside of his leg, taking all the power out of the shot but putting the ball just that little bit further into the corner and away from the keeper's glove. Not a 'pretty' goal but it looked realistic and smooth as hell in the replays.

Some of the passing is glorious too.

Still laregly undecided about rushing out and getting it, but I'm certainly more interested than I was. Are you still playing it Johnny? Does it still hold up well after a couple of weeks?

It depends what modes you play really. I've played very little offline in all honesty. MLO is just so addictive, for me that gives this game an even larger life span, but for others it'll depend whether or not you're into the online part.

Personally I'd say it holds up brilliantly. It's classic Pro, the more you play the better it becomes. As usual it's more of a 'you need to play this more and more to really go deep into the game', whereas Fifa is more of a simple pick up and play game right off of the bat.

I've yet to go into any of the offline modes, been busy at times throughout the last week and the time I have had on my hands has gone on MLO. They've revamped a few things with that mode, it's even better than last year. Online runs really smooth too.

Would of liked a few more training challenges though and the final dribbling challenge is hard as fuck, gave up on that, no way am I ever getting gold on that one.

Waiting for the DLC stuff which is out this week (tomorrow I think), which will update the teams etc. Once that's in I'm going to go into some of the offline modes, so I'll post some thoughts on those at some point this week.

Also loving the new defending system. Some people have complained about it, but once you really get the hang of it, it's pretty bloody brilliant. Using R2 alone is a great way of taking the ball, the more you practice, the better you get. Also, the game is easier than the demo, or so I found anyway. Professional feels a little easier than it was on the demo, likely why they added the superstar difficulty.

Ah I'm pleased to hear the final game is a little easier; cos demo wise I've begun to find Regular WAY too easy, but I can't score for shit on Professional - and I play on Professional on PES11, so the step up in difficulty to PES12 is obvious.

I am finding it almost pointless putting crosses into the box as the defence deals with them perfectly everytime.

I agree about the new tackling system. I'm still not used to it at all, but I know that it's worth taking the time to master it because it is a great system.

I've never played PES online, except one match about three years ago when the lag made it almost impossible and the game cut out with about twenty-minutes to go (and me 4-2 up, grr....) I've previously tended to do a Champions League, an offline Master League and then just twat around with random friendlies whenever I feel like a quick game. I've heard generally good things about MLO in the past though.

After about 8 games on Professional, I finally managed to score! I was Bayern and beat Rangers 2-0, though I did notice the CPU misplacing most of my passes after the second goal went in, in the old PES being a bitch to those who are beating it way.

I then managed to score a 25-yarder inside 2 minutes with Zanetti as Inter vs. Spurs. The fact that it was a crap shot and only went in because it took a deflection of Dawson is irrelevant.

Sadly it all went downhill from there. We've all been playing PES long enough to know that the CPU is putting a free-kick into the top corner before the player has even stepped up to shoot, and I had the exact feeling just before Van Der Vaart put the ball into the top corner... Then the CPU got me Samuel sent off for changing who I was controlling as I pressed slide-tackle, making a Cambiasso challenge from the side a Samuel challenge from behind. Fuckers. After that, Spurs destroyed me, but I held on for the 1-1. Some of it was slightly silly (I think every loose ball or rebound in the 2nd half went their way), but it was fun.

Ha, was coming on here to bitch that I'd had 3 0-0's in a row despite having 20+ shots on goal in each game; and then scored twice in the first 15 minutes of a match. All I needed was Mario Gomez.

Still, overall, actually scoring seems to be a rare thing indeed.

EDIT: 4-1!!! Though now I'm scared to play as a team that aren't Bayern...

Think its the usual learning curve with shooting, I've started a Premier League while I'm waiting on a decent option file for Master League and I've been lucky to get a draw thus far (still refuse to take it off Top Player though).

Had a quick crack at Master League Online and still dislike it. Got a win first game, but then got matched against a team with a world class squad while I had the Master League stars plus Dan Gosling. Long ball, quick players, no chance. Still did alright but its nearly impossible. Seems grinding games is the way forward again and I just don't have the time or motivation to do that. Back to offline mode for me, starting with an 10 man 2v2 league tonight, as it should be played. Woo!

I'll do a Champions League with Bayern first, and then probably start a Master League with some team or other once there's a good option file (for kits and that) to download; and once I've unlocked the option to customise the starting structure of the league. I've never done Master League online, so it'll be offline for me as well.

EDIT - Nope, condemmed to playing as Bayern forever. Two more games with no goals as other teams; switch back to Bayern and score twice. Though that game was made artifically hard by the game making sure that every loose ball went to the CPU and all the CPU's clearance's were also inch perfect passes to its strikers.

I think I both love and hate PES this year!

After a few hours of 5 team, 10 man league games last night I officially love this Pro Evo. 5 minute games that produced a few 0-0's while everyone was getting used to it, but some cracking games later on with a couple of 3-2 thrillers. I've not played the single player or online much yet, but as a multiplayer game its still unmatched for me.

No Jonas Gutierrez in the Argentina squad though, must edit...

• 2 weeks later...