PES 12

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started playing PES 09 again recently and after playing FIFA 10 and 11 for the past couple of years, it is striking just how little control it felt like I had in terms of dribbling and passing. Not exactly a fair comparison I know, maybe things improved over the years, I only played the demos for PES in the past few years and I can't really remember my experience. This time I guess I will have a comparison to make in terms of 09. It's still fun though, barring a few moments of completely retarded AI. The Master League is cool to go back to after a break. I like having structure to the mode as opposed to Ultimate Team, which is the nearest comparison you could make in FIFA.

Yeah, two demos, the first isn't really close to the final game though, but there's been very positive talk about it.

Of course Microsoft are being shit as usual and the 360 demo has been put on hold until September, which means I wont get to try this out until then. Hopefully it's next week. Surely will be with the second demo due to come out mid September and the game to be released early October (September for US etc, which is stupid, but there we are).

Not to get into the Fifa/PES debate either, but PES all day long over Fifa last year. MLO trumps everything Fifa has done in a long time and likely will again this year as long as it's improved upon.

It was like that with the 11 demo at the end were you had to watch them go over everything new/improved/in the game and it lasted about 5/10 minutes and you just wanted to skip it but couldn't

Pretty sure it was after each match. It had like Barca/Bayern and the Copa Libertadores match on it.

I'll wait until the demos out but from the sounds of things it's taking steps forward. I was a big PES fanboy but lost love in it as I thought PES 2008 was a big letdown for me and thats when I went back to playing FIFA with 09 and since then I haven't had a PES game apart from the demos.

I love the gameplay. It's so addictive. I've been playing on Top Player, but every single goal I've conceded has either been a goalkeeping mistake (I've had two GK OG's already...) or where they should've easily kept it out, but for some reason are diving past the ball. I know it's De Gea, but fucking hell. The one OG was comedy. De Gea saved a shot as he dived at the forward's feet, but the ball carried on rolling towards goal really slowly - he scrambled back and dived on it, but the momentum took him into the net. :shifty:

So, aside from even more awful goalkeeping than I'm used to with PES, I really like it.

I had time for one match, as United came from behind to beat Porto 2-1. Thoughts:

- Liking the more agressive AI. Last year they passed it aimlessly around the back four and midfield a bit, they always seem to want to attack now.

- The X Tackle button is now entirely useless, which sucks. Last year holding down square to close down and pressing X to tackle worked quite well. Not at all on this, though in respect of the closing down I suppose the CPU moves the ball around quicker anyway. But, the X tackle now sucks, and...

- Circle tackle is even more erratic.

- The super-sprint button barely seems different to the normal sprint button, and it's harder to take people on.

- Defenders close you down quicker, which is mainly a great thing, but it is a little too good at times. Though, I was playing Porto; it might not be an issue against a team like Blackburn >_>

- I'm finding it much harder to ping the ball about passing wise. Not sure how I feel about that.

- Some of the new animations look nice.

But, the main thing to say about this:

- FULL-BACKS MAKE OVERLAPPING RUNS. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: FINALLY :D

I then remembered that last year I set the game speed to -1; and began a match with that setting. Un;like last year where it made for a realistic pace, this year it seemed SLOOOOOOWWWWW. Didn't have time to finish a match on that setting though. Will probably have chance to play in small doses over the next few days and willl try it out more and post with thoughts. Initial thoughts are I'll stick with 11 unless 12 is cheap (though there is still a lot of chance for the demo to grab me more yet.)

Edited by Yoshihiro timmayyama

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe it's only available on European markets?

My buddy Googs says this is the case.

What fagtacular way to do it Konami. Fuck off.

On American now I believe.

Second demo is now out on 360 (well the first really, but it's classed as the second demo, even though we never got the first). Just played two games, overall I think it's absolutely brilliant. The new player movement system is outstanding.

I'll play properly tomorrow and get some proper thoughts on it, but so far it's looking awesome.

Keepers have been improved, they could still do with a bit more work but they're not as bad as they were in last years game. In the previous game they would spill a shot and fall to the ground, now they often spill a shot but stay on their feet and it bounces up into their grasp, bit realistic there. They do still need work, but you can see they've at least made some improvement.

AI is simply outstanding, struggling to think of any football game that has had much of a better AI. They actually play smart, they pass well, they link up, they do tricks, they shoot brilliantly and realistically and they score some awesome goals. No longer do you run at them at the back and they panic and just hoof it, now they actually play simple and smart short passes and make you work for the ball.

Player movement system (off the ball control) as I said is simply awesome. It's tough to grasp at first but it's obvious that when you really get the hang of it you'll be able to use it to brilliant effect. Completely changes the game this addition does, brilliant for corners and throws, just fantastic all around. I'm still using it on auto though, will try manual once I have really got to grips with it on auto.

Only downside is that every fucker gets this in two weeks while us UK people have to wait four weeks :(

Holy balls this is is awesome. The off the ball control is ridiculously good. Takes a bit of getting used to but i've just had an awesome game as Spurs beating Inter 3-2. One goal Lennon scored by manually sending him on a run.. the link up looked great on the reply. But my favourite part was using runners as a decoy (as defenders actually track runners now!) to give Modric some space on the edge of the box. His shot promptly took a ridiculous looping deflection over the keeper and in. It just looked and felt so realistic.

Really impressed so far, much more than I expected to be. The finishing has been improved no end in terms of the animations. Everything looks natural which isn't something you have always been able to say for PES.

Wub wub wub. Just scored one of the best goals ever have as Bayern (and I'm an ISS kid, that's some competition) and the whole thing just feels smooth. The passing options are great, especially for set pieces, and the little accelerate move is a great realistic way to gain space without making speed players king again. Need to get used to the slightly less powerful x tackle though.

Niggly annoyances are gone too, auto kickoffs, the in game penalty camera angle is glorious (European style high wire angle behind the striker) and proper advantage with bookings are back in. Interesting to see what the single player stuffs like, I barely touched it this year only really playing local multiplayer, but Football Life looks different. Challenge training back!

Every shot I take from a distance flies way over. Also, why is sprinting not working well for me? I'm a FIFA kid thesedays, so someone inform me.

Frankly practice. You can't just hold sprint and expect to fly past someone, either beat them with a quick turn or try passing instead. Shooting you have to get into position more than you do in FIFA, you're much less likely to score a screamer on the turn. It's all hard to describe but ace to master, which is probably why I still haven't got into a FIFA since 97...