nPower Football League Thread 2011/12

Lineker

Don't forget though that all these youngsters who get signed up such as Jordon Ibe, who signed for Liverpool after coming through the Wycombe Wanderers youth ranks from age 12 and Charlton before that, will be given 'set transfers' depending on a calculation of years in the club system and a determined 'running cost' per year. I believe so anyways.

And the calculations mean that these players they sign can be snapped up for much less than they are already paying. So these 16 year olds who get snapped up by big clubs for say, £1m, a lot of the time it could come out to about £350,000 or so depending on years at the club and the like. There was a good article in one of the FFT magazines I have but I don't have that to hand right now so can't grab it but it had 4 players, how much they were signed for and the amounts they'd be signed for under the EPPP and the discrepancies were quite big. Especially when you consider how much more those extra £100,000's mean to League One or Two clubs losing their best player in a generation and how paltry they seem to the biggest clubs in the country.

EDIT: Not got the actual figures I mentioned from earlier but have the online FFT article I spoke of and here's some choice extracts:

"Rudimentary maths indicate that to cover that annual £2.5m (it would cost to become a Category One academy), academies would have to sell 20 top-rated 17-year-olds every single season.

"MK Dons agreed a deal of £1.5m rising to £2m with Chelsea for 14-year-old Oluwaseyi Ojo; under the new ruling, they would be lucky to get £100,000 for the talented youngster. The deals that took players like John Bostock from Palace to Tottenham and Raheem Sterling from QPR to Liverpool to big Premier League sides totalled around £7m, vital money for the selling clubs. Under the new system, the deals would combine to make a measly £200,000 or so.

"Under the convoluted new ruling, clubs will receive £3,000 for each year spent nurturing a player between the ages of nine and 11 and between £12,500 and £40,000 – more for the higher-category academies – for each year spent at the club between the ages of 12 and 16."

Good luck.

Edited by IAceI

What is all this bafflement with Graham Westley and his texting?

Apparently a couple of weeks ago he was texting players at 2am telling some of them they were dropped and they needed to get to the ground early. And then apparently last week he was telling their players to beware of low flying Al-Qaeda terrorist aircraft.

Has he always been this mental?

This season has been getting worse by the day for Forest. Even though I'm a Notts County supporter, I'm very fond of Forest and find this news absolutely sickening. The club hasn't been doing well financially during the last few years, but Nigel Doughty's financial input has kept them afloat. Unless something dramatic happens now, the club's future is looking very, very bleak.

Just got a text about Forests' manager, thoughts are with his friends and family of course, but it is a real impact on the club losing a solid financial backer.

Although I came in here to complain about Burnley, a 1-1 draw to Peterborough is awful in our current form and at home. And we only just scraped that by the sounds of it.

What's happened to Steve Cotterill like Jouzy? :shifty:

RIP Nigel Doughty. It's horrible and still young as well, it makes me scared when I hear of things like this happening to fit and normal people like this age when I consider how old my dad is and it's just not nice. Hope the match tomorrow goes off well and Forest play well and do him proud.

Totally meant chairman. My bad. RIP Nigel Doughty.

Because making a bad taste joke would be, well, in bad taste. I'll just say that I hope Cotterill finds himself a hole and stays there forever >_>. I figured he'd have been axed by now.

Do you think that Neil Redfearn may be given the job permanently if he doesn't do terribly as caretaker, since he'll be cheap and therefore probably appeal to Bates quite a bit?

Yes, I could see him being given it until the end of the season anyway. I still think we'll end up with someone like Strachan though

That or we'll be the first team to ever loan a manager, probably one of Spurs' academy coaches.

Totally meant chairman. My bad. RIP Nigel Doughty.

Because making a bad taste joke would be, well, in bad taste. I'll just say that I hope Cotterill finds himself a hole and stays there forever >_>. I figured he'd have been axed by now.

Forest backed themselves into a corner because they sacked McClaren for a huge pay-off since he'd only been in the job a couple of months, by all accounts it seems they cannot afford to sack Cotterill so they're stuck with him. At least he has Sean O'Driscoll helping him out now!

This came out about a week ago, I'm kinda hoping Bates will be dead by then.

This fucks up the transfer policy, expect Poleon or Lenighan to be given the number 9 shirt next year...

• Admin

Burnley chairman Barry Kilby has revealed a battle with cancer is behind his decision to stand down from his position at the Championship club.

Leeds United chairman Ken Bates claims former England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson has applied to succeed Simon Grayson as the Championship club's manager.