The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

I'm not saying that Chelsea are playing a gleaming representation of a perfect game (although we're a hell of a lot better than we were last Spring) and deserve a result. It merely flatters United horrendously.

And for the record, I've never understood the reasoning of "yeah he was offside, but the marking should have been better". Either the rules of the game are applied correctly or they aren't. When they aren't it's usually bad luck, but there's no point blaming a side for not doing what they shouldn't have had to do.

Thats not what I meant, the offside should've been given as Smalling was half a yard offside, fact. But the two men who were marking him and Jones back stick stayed still while the rest of the back line tracked their men. Thats not an offside trap, thats just being lucky the refs spotted a marginal offside had he done so. I could be wrong but I even think Jones following in might have been onside in miles of space.

Wait, hang on. Ashley Cole just got booked for his challenge inside the penalty area. And it's a goal kick.

This is of course how Bosingwa denied a goal-scoring opportunity with a 'foul' to provide the earlier penalty and didn't get booked either.

Does Phil Dowd understand how this game works?