The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

Just seen on the BBC website, we've approached Wigan to talk to Martinez. I expected it to be honest, and it's not ye worst decision in the world. It's a risk, but so is any new manager. The RAWK crowd won't like it though

I dunno if I'm happy about this. On one hand Martinez will probably do a better job than Dalglish, on the other hand (some) Liverpool fans will be all "WAH! We sacked King Kenny and got this nobody, WAH!"

He's completely unproven at a high level. But that said sometimes these things just work. I'm gonna take a wait and see approach, he's not the worst person we could have gone after, far from it. I do feel that this is the type of person FSG wanted all along, a young up and coming manager as a longer term project. And bringing someone in from abroad has just as many risks as appointing someone like Martinez albeit different ones

Tevez is just an idiot in a bad way, I think City are stupid if they keep him on in the summer.

Not everyone follows the SAF school of thought where getting rid of "troublemakers" must be done immediately. If Mancini can find replacements for both Mario and Tevez then by all means, I'll happily see them go. But what, just get rid of Tevez and THEN try and find someone who works as hard and will get you goals? Tevez is a great player and there are plenty of players who have done stupid shit (John Terry, Luis Suarez, Wayne Rooney, Peter Crouch), some to a worse degree than others, and yet they haven't gone anywhere.

We only know what we hear and Tevez still contends that he never refused to play. So if that's off the table for Mancini then it should be off the table for everyone. So is "RIP Fergie" worse than cheating on your wife, shagging your team mates wife AND cheating on your wife, or being judged as a racist?

My point isn't that a bad character is irrelevant though, if anything it can upset dressing rooms and the like. My point is that if Mancini thinks he can manage him (as he clearly does with Mario), then that's his call to make. Doing things deemed as idiotic by the public does not equate to a club being stupid because they don't sack them over it.

He's completely unproven at a high level. But that said sometimes these things just work.

More often than not they don't.

Martinez has a worse record at Wigan than Steve Bruce. So what if they play slightly better football then the rest of the shit around them for the last 8 games or so of every season?

I'd take a tandem of Gunnar and Clarke.

Anyway

I am privy to information as to the movement of Mr L's aircraft.

Most of the time it flies with him on board.

It is planned out to destinations in Norway, one of which relates to the subject of this thread.

The *assumption* therefore is that Mr Lerner is off to meet said gentlemen.

In the last half an hour I have seen Mr Lerner arrive and get off another aircraft.

His jet is still planned to Norway and will be back in the UK tomorrow.

The new *assumption* is that it is collecting someone.

2+2 = very nearly 4 on this occasion I think.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2012/05/17/Solskjar-in-Villa-link/gnid-14248

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/251777/Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer-linked-to-Villa-job

And two websites now carrying the story. It all stems from the man whom I've quoted above. The links indicate how his odds crashed from 20/1 to 6/4 in an hour and he's now favourite on some sites.

Oh, the same guy said there might be a press conference at the Villa tomorrow. IF he does sign 100s of Villa fans from VillaTalk are gonna make a fucking killing. They were betting when he was as high as 30s.

Is that the MysteryMan from VillaTalk? Been trying to follow this as much as possible since hearing about it.

That will be such an awesome appoitment if it happens, cant wait to see Ole back in the PL. You'd have to fancy him to change quite a bit at Villa and I'd really fancy him to get you guys into great shape. If it happens then I can finally go back to actually liking them too, which will be a lovely change as I couldn't bare to watch them under the dreaded McLeish.

He's completely unproven at a high level. But that said sometimes these things just work.

More often than not they don't.

Martinez has a worse record at Wigan than Steve Bruce. So what if they play slightly better football then the rest of the shit around them for the last 8 games or so of every season?

True, but I'm not going to Start foaming at the mouth like a lot of fans will, it's a risky move, very risky and the past god knows how many years have taught me that more often than not our risks don't work. But there's no guarantees with anything in football, if we'd brought in Klopp or Dechamps who's to say that will work? I really don't know what to make of it.