The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

Wigan are terrible, Martinez is awesome. That he's staying there for another season is a testament to what a loyal and principled manager he is. He's still very young for a manager, he has years to move to a bigger club, Liverpool didn't offer him what he wanted so he stayed put. Smart if you ask me. I hope he sticks with the 3-4-3 that's served him well towards the latter half of this season because the Prem could really use some tactical variety.

Also, us signing Sigurdsson would be incredible. A BBC journo reckons he hasn't completed the Swansea move as of sixteen minutes ago, and as Rodgers was obviously a huge factor in his decision to move there I could see him going to Liverpool. I'm anxious to see how Rodgers will get us playing football while Gerrard is there though.

Also, us signing Sigurdsson would be incredible. A BBC journo reckons he hasn't completed the Swansea move as of sixteen minutes ago, and as Rodgers was obviously a huge factor in his decision to move there I could see him going to Liverpool. I'm anxious to see how Rodgers will get us playing football while Gerrard is there though.

But he's a footballer. Why wouldn't he want to play football?

Wigan are terrible, Martinez is awesome. That he's staying there for another season is a testament to what a loyal and principled manager he is. He's still very young for a manager, he has years to move to a bigger club, Liverpool didn't offer him what he wanted so he stayed put. Smart if you ask me. I hope he sticks with the 3-4-3 that's served him well towards the latter half of this season because the Prem could really use some tactical variety.

Any Team that has Gary caldwell as the main central defender is hardly going to EVER be descibed as good. They have have a average team that seemed to come alive at the end of the season. That cant last forever.

Apparently Paul Lambert has walked out of Norwich, perhaps because they refused to let him talk to Villa.

I would be shocked if that was true. Figured he would have a bit more respect for the club. And besides he had the huge bust up with the reporter for even daring to ask the question about a move to Villa. He shouldnt really be suprised Norwich have that stance, they said a week ago they would not entertain any bids for him.

Norwich have a very strict wage budget. No-one is on more than £25k per week and given that Holt is only on £18k, apparently, I'd be surprised if anyone other than maybe Surman and Vaughan are on that much. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Lambert is the lowest paid manager in the league.

Edit: And they'd probably go for Malky Mackay or Chris Houghton.

Loving the ridiculous managerial merrygorund at the moment. Liverpool, Swansea, Villa, Norwich and West Brom are all appointing new managers, and it could be that teams like Birmingham and Brighton are next.

Loving the ridiculous managerial merrygorund at the moment. Liverpool, Swansea, Villa, Norwich and West Brom are all appointing new managers, and it could be that teams like Birmingham and Brighton are next.

You love it, I can't stand it. Teams anad managers alike to blame. I'm quite disappointed Rodgers is going to Liverpool, I was warming to him at Swansea and I hate seeing managers have one good season at a small team and then just pissing off to a big team. I couldn't stand the arrogant prick at Reading, and I was surprised the Swans appointed him as his time at Reading was a disaster that seemingly ruined his reputation.

If Paul Lambert now fucks off to Aston Villa then I may give up on the Premier League and just pretend that the football pyramid starts at the top of League One.

Or Steve Kean.

Under his management Norwich would finish in the top half and win the carling cup. Bet 100 quid.

Chris houghton would be a great appointment. Always felt he got a raw deal at Newcastle although I dont think any geordies would complain now.

I don't overly like it either but then everyone complains that young English managers don't get a chance with the bigger jobs, we can't have it both ways. <_<

But...these two managers are Northern Irish and Scottish, respectively. :P

I know what you're saying though, and it's very true. I just wish there was more longevity and loyalty in modern day top level football.

You love it, I can't stand it. Teams anad managers alike to blame. I'm quite disappointed Rodgers is going to Liverpool, I was warming to him at Swansea and I hate seeing managers have one good season at a small team and then just pissing off to a big team. I couldn't stand the arrogant prick at Reading, and I was surprised the Swans appointed him as his time at Reading was a disaster that seemingly ruined his reputation.

If Paul Lambert now fucks off to Aston Villa then I may give up on the Premier League and just pretend that the football pyramid starts at the top of League One.

I'm not a fan in general when managers are sacked by their clubs rather rashly and the increasing short-term culture of football management rears its head again, but given that it was time for Dalglish and McLeish to leave (for completely different reasons mind you) and clubs are looking to the domestic game for replacements instead of your Carlos Kickaball types, I find it quite exciting.

I don't get the hate for managers moving to bigger clubs though. Why shouldn't Lambert leave a team that was in League One two seasons ago for the (admittedly somewhat shaky at present) security of a team that's never been relegated from the Premier League? He's taken them up two divisions in two seasons and endured such a successful campaign that their spot in the top flight was never in doubt for next season, what else does he owe them? Are Norwich going to give him a massive budget to redevelop the squad he's assembled from the Championship and League One? Given that a large part of any promoted team's good fortune is the leftover feel-good factor from getting promoted in the first place and that second seasons don't tend to go so swimmingly for promoted teams that have massively overachieved in their first season (see Ipswich, Reading etc) unless there is some sort of significant investment, I don't see how you can hold it against a manager like him who has a great opportunity to further his career. Especially Rodgers. Swansea finished 5 points behind Liverpool but one job is clearly more prestigious than the other and by your logic Rodgers' reward for winning the gazillion pound playoff game and nearly breaking the top half in his first season should be to turn down such an offer? End of the day football management is a job and like any job, managers are entitled to leave when a better job comes along. They're even more entitled to leave their employers behind when they've been successful, as Rodgers and Lambert have.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it I'd just prefer to see more loyalty and longevity in football. As you've pointed out Swansea finished only 5 points behind Liverpool, though it is a big job prospect. Lambert's Norwich team right now are superior to Aston Villa, but the long term potential can't be ignored. This attitude though keeps the same 'big' clubs at the top, and could prevent a team like Norwich to further advance and develop and become a long-surviving and established Premier League team like say Fulham.

Although I am intrigued by the credentials of this Carlos Kickaball fellow :P