2011/12 UEFA Europa League

Lineker

Seen a fair bit of McGinty and Thorpe in the reserves but not too much of Reece. Is he as bad as his brother?

Wes Brown isn't even that bad. And compared to Reece, Wes is like Paolo Maldini.

The only good season Wes Brown ever had for Man Utd was 2007-2008 when he was at right back while Neville was out injured. Anytime he was put at centre half, he looked a liability.

True story, Wes Brown is related to me through marriage and adoption (you can plug in the gaps for your own amusement). I once met him when with a mate who supports Man United, and the first thing said between the two was "I love you, but you were terrible for us in defence", "I never played elsewhere?" "Thankfully you do now!". He then didn't speak to me for a couple of years by association >_>.

• 2 weeks later...

Since it's ahead of their Europea League clash with Valencia *dies a little inside*, and it's quite obviously about dem cheating forigners (as well as STILL moaning that Meyler had the temerity to go down after Huth collided with his twice surgically repaired knee..)..

The Potters manager has urged the Football Association to take action against those players who feel it is okay to try and con the match officials.

He says diving and the feigning of injury is now an all-too-common sight, making life all the more difficult for referees and their assistants.

Pulis feels these traits have been adopted from leagues such as the Spanish Primera Liga, with certain divisions in Europe prepared to accept such behaviour.

He believes it is up to the authorities in England to try and stamp out this trend before it becomes too late.

Ahead of a Europa League showdown with Spanish giants Valencia on Thursday, Pulis said: "I cannot stand the sight of players rolling around. It really goes against the grain of British football.

"But from what I've seen abroad and, in a few cases here, it's a growing disease. Players aren't even touched and they're falling over. It puts enormous pressure on referees.

"I watch Spanish football and they're regularly doing it over there and everyone just takes it as the norm. But I don't think it is clever. I think it's cheating."

He added: "I've seen instances where players are looking to get the other player sent off.

"It's wrong, completely wrong. They're all in the same profession."

Whine whine whine. Moan moan moan. Tony Pulis fuck off. Your team are such wronged angels aren't they?

No he shouldn't have been sent off, but it was probably a yellow card - that was my instinctive reaction in the ground at least - and can a red card be downgraded to a yellow? Isn't it one of them weird cases where it's either got to be not worthy of a card at all or it can't be rescinded?

Either way my main gripe was with how he went after Meyler calling him a cheat. This is despite the fact Pulis admitted the tackle was 'reckless' himself, he also said there was no contact despite sending in a picture himself that showed Huth making contact with Meyler. I'm not saying Pulis or Huth should know Meyler's injury history but to come out and say that he cheated when Meyler has already suffered two knee injuries that have nearly ended his career, because he stayed down (he didn't do all this rolling around like Pulis said) is just unfair.

Not nearly as unfair as him trying to make out that all these people are cheating despite his teams flagrant disregard for the rules. Stitching towels into their shirts, the actions of their players every free kick and corner is borderline brutality and I don't think he ever said anything about Peter Crouch's eye-gouge the other week.

He's a massive hyprocrite and doesn't even see the irony in his own comments when he calls other people cheats. Hope Valencia rip them apart.

Edited by IAceI

Every manager is a hypocrite thought that was a well known fact. I didn't think it was a red but to call an opposition player a cheat is a bit far like.

I think Stoke will get a result at home but then get torn apart when they travel to Spain.

United are taking a strong 20-man squad to Amsterdam for the Europa League tie against Ajax with Nani, Chris Smalling and Phil Jones all back from injury.

Ashley Young also travels after missing the win over Liverpool last weekend but Ryan Giggs, Dimitar Berbatov and Patrice Evra remain at home.

Sir Alex has remained true to his word and selected a strong travelling party as he intends to take the competition seriously despite slipping out of the Champions League last year.

Anders Lindegaard, Nemanja Vidic, Darren Fletcher, Anderson and Michael Owen are among those still sidelined but the injury situation is starting to look a little healthier with Tom Cleverley also primed for his first action since October after making the bench on Saturday.

Despite plenty of talk that the boss would field a number of youngsters in the Europa League, Ezekiel Fryers and Paul Pogba are the only reserve-team regulars on the plane.

United: De Gea, Amos; Fabio, Rafael, Evans, Jones, Smalling, Fryers, Ferdinand; Valencia, Nani, Carrick, Young, Park, Scholes, Cleverley, Pogba; Rooney, Hernandez, Welbeck

Good to see we're taking a very strong squad, it's an ideal opportunity to play our strongest team and try and get a few away goals considering we're not playing this weekend.

If anything we need to lobby the footballing bodies to give us back our towels. The Europa League will be a great place to start with the perpetrators Stoke in the competition and massive clubs also on this stage such as Ajax and Porto.

Far too easy that one :shifty:

A bit more on the arrests;

Dutch police say they have arrested 76 Ajax supporters suspected of seeking a confrontation with Manchester United fans the before the clubs meet in the Europa League tonight.

Police said the men were detained a day earlier under heightened security rules imposed by the Amsterdam mayor. Spokesman Ad Smit said the men were found to have a pair of brass knuckles, tear gas, a club "and a large amount of narcotics".

They were held overnight and will face varying fines of up to £600 ($780).

Another 54 supporters of Belgian club Anderlecht, who were also thought to be seeking confrontation with United followers, were detained and sent home. On Wednesday, 12 people people were arrested for "football-related incidents".

One British male was arrested on suspicion of assault.

Also what the fuck have Anderlecht got to do with anything, fucking hooligans.

Edit:

Team news:

United team vs Ajax: De Gea, Jones, Ferdinand, Evans, Fabio, Nani, Carrick, Cleverley, Young, Rooney, Hernandez

Subs: Amos, Smalling, Park, Scholes, Valencia, Welbeck, Pogba

Jones, Cleverley and Nani return from injury, good news :)

Ajax team: Vermeer, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Anita, Koppers, Eriksen, S. de Jong, Aissati, Sulejmani, Bulykin, Özbiliz

Subs: Cillessen, Boilesen, Blind, Van Rhijn, Lodeiro, Serero, Lukoki.

Edited by Starvinho

Well that was shite. Nani has been dreadful, Young's not much better and Rooney just as bad. Hernandez has look lively I suppose but the only good thing to come out of that half was another good stop from the young Spaniard.

Really hope Rio is fit to carry on, we lost Vidic on our last european trip and I don't want t lose Ferdinand now considering he's been our best defender this season.