The Thread Where We've All Got Playoff Beards

Ruki

Yessssss Pittsburgh. Oh sweet joy. Great game tonight. Pitts and Philly has been the most interesting NHL series in the last few playoffs.

You don't count out Detroit, but they really were overmatched in basically every category in this series. Better goaltending and better scoring depth for Nashville, especially. It gets said every year, but this might be the summer where the Red Wings undergo a major facelift. Holmstrom I think will likely go and Lidstrom may as well.

For all the talk of great parity in the West, it's all Eastern series that I find too tough to call right now.

I'm wracking my brain trying to remember a time where Detroit was just soundly beaten in an early round. I knew Nashville was good, but that was almost surgical how the Preds picked them apart.

Also, tonight, we get to

I'm wracking my brain trying to remember a time where Detroit was just soundly beaten in an early round. I knew Nashville was good, but that was almost surgical how the Preds picked them apart.

Hmmm. It would definitely be pre-lockout. The year after Bowman left as head coach, they were swept in four close games by Anaheim. Every game was a one-goal game, but it was a 2 vs. 7 series with Detroit pretty heavily favoured.

Guest mr. potato head

Hmmm. It would definitely be pre-lockout. The year after Bowman left as head coach, they were swept in four close games by Anaheim. Every game was a one-goal game, but it was a 2 vs. 7 series with Detroit pretty heavily favoured.

And the only person primate in the world to predict that was TSN's Maggie the Monkey.

Also 25 games for Torres is ridiculous based on what had been handed out previously. Completely punishing the result rather than the intent. I would be fine with a 25-game suspension had other incidents led to suspensions more than 12% that length.

Torres is Matt Cooke of seasons past minus the skillset, so it's really nothing of value lost. If the NHL just came forward and said that they were going to punish goons more severely than star players for the same kind of hits, it would at least pour a little water on fan outrage over the big inconsistencies in discipline. I don't know they even bother with the veneer of objectivity really.

Also, KINGS are obviously a lock for the West :shifty:

I'm beginning to think Washington will win this series against Boston. I was not expecting them to take it to Boston like this.

I was expecting some kind of upset in the first round, but I was thinking more of the Senators somehow taking out the Rangers.

Woooo Marlies!!!! 4-3 win to go up 2-0 in the series (5 game series in the 1st round, so one more win!), game was fun as hell to be at.

Towel rallying is fun, but a bit embarassing when it slips out of your hand and lands on the head of the older lady behind you :shifty:

EDIT: Catching the replay on TV, and late in the third everytime the puck comes into Toronto's zone, you see me and my buddy in our seats just whirling those towels while NOBODY else on that side of the rink is doing it. Looks so fucking funny.

Edited by Mountainous Cleavage

The reason Torres got 25 games is partly because of the end result, but it's mostly Shanahan throwing the book at him for being a repeat offender. What's this, his third suspension in the last year? I say 25 games is a good number.

Besides, the Coyotes have to be happy. They lose Raffi Torres. Chicago loses Marian Hossa. That's a pretty good trade-off.

Guest mr. potato head

For any Canadians so interested, London/Kitchener Game 2 will be on the main Sportsnet channels tonight at 7 Eastern. I know it's hyperbole to say it's the loudest junior atmosphere in the country, but it's not as much hyperbole as you'd think. :shifty: