Gym & Exercise Thread

IAceI

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump.

I'm getting myself back into the gym now as I find it much easier to get out of bed before six when its light and not as depressingly dark outside. Found myself a bit of a routine -

30 minutes on the Cross-Trainer

15 minutes on the Bike

6 x 500 metres on the Rowing Machine with a minute break in between each

Crunches, Press-ups, Planking, etc

- and then I do weights at home while watching TV, low weight 5/10kg but high reps. I was wondering if there is any point in looking into supplements or powders with this sort of regime? Do they help with weight loss or are they all for heavy lifters? Its not something I've ever looked in to, so I have no idea what is out there.

With that much cardio, any supplement you add in will just burn up anyway. Waste of money IMO. You could look into a fat burner if you were looking to experiment and had the cash to blow/access to a good deal, but you're putting in the work and, with a clean diet, you can probably meet your goals without it.

Bump.

I'm getting myself back into the gym now as I find it much easier to get out of bed before six when its light and not as depressingly dark outside. Found myself a bit of a routine -

15 minutes on the Bike

- and then I do weights at home while watching TV, low weight 5/10kg but high reps. I was wondering if there is any point in looking into supplements or powders with this sort of regime? Do they help with weight loss or are they all for heavy lifters? Its not something I've ever looked in to, so I have no idea what is out there.

With that much cardio, any supplement you add in will just burn up anyway. Waste of money IMO. You could look into a fat burner if you were looking to experiment and had the cash to blow/access to a good deal, but you're putting in the work and, with a clean diet, you can probably meet your goals without it.

Cheers. I'm planning on starting the Dukan diet at the start of the next month, had planned on starting it earlier in the year but never got around to it. I'm interested to see if I'll be able to stick it out through the first couple of phases, I usually suck at trying to stick to plans.

Bump.

15 minutes on the Bike

CMIL is pretty spot on. Only thing I'd do, but you don't have too really ... is a simple protein supplement. It'll help recovery and also give you a little help with the lean muscle as that much cardio is catabolic (eats your muscle a bit). The protein/lean muscle help would also help to speed any fat loss you're going after.

Does anybody have any good no-weight/bodyweight exercise? Reason I'm going for this is because I want to make sure I can commit to an exercise routine before taking the time and spending the money to go to the gym again.

A plan would be great if someone has the time. I've been pointed to ExRx before, but I'm completely clueless about exercise and don't know where to begin. Hoping to do 30 minutes to an hour 3 times a week, or whatever is the best way to go. Willing to make it more but I've always heard that 3 times a week is a good goal to shoot for.

Interested in getting lean first and strength second, but both are priorities. This would ideally be not including cardio, I've already begun walking 30 minutes on weekdays (again, working up).

Not sure exactly what you're asking for...

Getting lean's going to come through cardio. You can't really have one without the other. I mean, aside from doing it through diet. There's really no exercise I know of that burns significant calories that wouldn't be classified as cardio.

If by "no weight", you mean low-impact, you could go with cycling or an elliptical or something. "Bodyweight" suggests you are interested in resistance training though, so... do you mean "no weight" as in "no equipment"?

If so, give Gotch Bible a google.

Yeah, I meant no weight/bodyweight as in no equipment. Stuff I can do at home. And I didn't mean I wouldn't be doing cardio, I meant that I already had some cardio planned out and I didn't want a plan that was 60 minutes including 30 minutes of cardio as I felt that would be redundant. I'll check out the Gotch Bible.

So I'm just now getting back into the swing of things with working out. I have a specific routine that seems to work for me, but I've got some questions about supplements. I use whey protein after my exercise as that seems to be the pretty standard supplement to help with muscle growth and recovery.

With regard to the protein supplement, does it matter if I mix it with something other than water such as milk? I know the directions say to use water, but I've heard some people say that they use milk.

Also, if my regiment is mostly weight lifting with minimal cardio, what type of supplements are out there that are safe and helpful? I've heard of some people using creatine, but have heard that it can fuck up your liver. I'm not that concerned with getting into shape that I'd take something unsafe.

Also, multivitamins, I've had people at the nutrition stores suggest those. Instead of buying the expensive shit they sold, I opted for a bottle of centrum since it was much cheaper and is a much larger supply. Good move, or am I missing something?

I take PhD Synergy and that says mix with water or milk, but milk makes it a bit to viscous for my liking so I just do 2 weeks on the protein and then 2 weeks without. It's best to ask an expert as well with supplements mind, there's similar stuff in my whey protein as there is in creatine to the point that I didn't need to both with creatine. But obviously you want someone trustworthy and not just out for a sale.

Been doing a lot of compound moves lately at the gym such as cleans, deadlifts, squats and front squats. And then less isolation moves. It's tiring me out quite a lot each session - but it's good, I have such respect for how much a weighlifter can clean and jerk in the Olympics after giving it a go myself! It's a great workout though and I can feel my whole body working which is what I want.

I mixed mine with milk when I used to use it. Worked fine.

I'm not a doctor, but I honestly don't believe enough is known about the long-term effects of creatine use to recommend using it. Most of the research suggests it's beneficial, but the same was true of anabolic steroids before the research was proven wrong. Unless you're entertaining the idea of becoming a fitness model or pro wrestler or some other thing where it requires you to be and stay jacked as quickly as possible, probably better off both financially and health-wise to at least try a natural route first.

Multivitamins effectivity depends entirely on your diet. If you're missing something, you're missing it from the foods you eat, not a supplement. Centrum's fine.

Protein shakes made with milk take longer to break down and absorb into the bloodstream, so they're better suited for your pre sleep shake, whereas water is quicker so is better for pre and post workout.

Milk's also better if you're looking to bulk up as it contains more protein, fat and calories than water.

I mixed mine with milk when I used to use it. Worked fine.

I'm not a doctor, but I honestly don't believe enough is known about the long-term effects of creatine use to recommend using it. Most of the research suggests it's beneficial, but the same was true of anabolic steroids before the research was proven wrong. Unless you're entertaining the idea of becoming a fitness model or pro wrestler or some other thing where it requires you to be and stay jacked as quickly as possible, probably better off both financially and health-wise to at least try a natural route first.

Multivitamins effectivity depends entirely on your diet. If you're missing something, you're missing it from the foods you eat, not a supplement. Centrum's fine.

Creatine is completely natural actually. Its one of the main amino acids in red meat. All creatine is is an amino acid. Huge amounts of it for an extended period of time can cause kidney problems if you arn't drinking enough water. But 3g a day(the recommended amount) cycle 8 weeks on and 4 weeks off or whatever, with adequate water intake won't cause a problem. I'm not a huge fan of Creatine just cause it doesn't work as well for me as it does others. All it really does is make me look a little softer from the extra water retention.

Steroids are also good for you still if used correctly. There is a reason doctors will still give certain steroids to patients as medicine or why erectile disfunction in older men is usually treated with moderate dosed Testosterone shots. The problem with steroids is too many people especially those who use it either have terrible will power or are too obsessed with the "on" feeling and the "on" look so they abuse them which is what causes the problems.

I realize that. However, the amount of creatine found naturally in red meat is far less than the recommended doses attached to most bodybuilding supplements. "Huge amounts of it for an extended period of time" can vary wildly based on both the amounts and the time, relative to the person. I stand by my opinion. Not enough is known about the long-term effects of these cycles. These supplements simply haven't existed long enough to correctly identify them as "a safe alternative to steroids", especially when, at one time, no such safe alternative was required according to the research.

TRT is in no way the same thing as "steroids are also good for you". That's akin to saying "eyeglasses are good for you". If you require them to overcome a natural deficiency or other affliction, then yes... but this is the gym and exercise thread, not the "I got kicked by a horse and my balls fell off" thread.

• 2 months later...

Ba-rump. Let's get this bad boy rocking once again with the ill behaviour. We're rapidly approaching holiday season and with me set to rock up Cyprus as of July 14 with three lads, one of who does rugby, one football and one MMA I feel it is in my best interests to ensure I am as tip top as possible.

I have lost about a stone over the past six months or so and now weigh around 12 stone 12 pounds, which is lighter than I have been for a long time. I feel better and the like but with about 6 weeks to go there's still more I can do pre-holiday. I'm about 5' 9" in shoesies but not over-weight as such, I do a lot of gym work and I'm relatively strong, but there is more weight to be lost. Ideally I'd just like to get as close to 12 stone as possible over the next few weeks.

As of June 1 I'm changing things around a little bit in terms of exercise and diet. As it stands I eat relatively well, with eggs for breakfast, tuna for lunch and then whatever is made for tea/dinner - with the odd snack now and again and a cheat day on Saturday. That's changing from June 1 until I go on holiday except for one or two nights out I have planned. There will be no alcohol, except for aforementioned nights out, no unhealthy snacks and no cheat days.

Does anyone have good experience around diets and particularly what I can eat that is high in protein. We're pretty much cutting out as many unneccessary carbs as possible so there will be no pasta, rice or cous cous (the last one I am particularly upset about) until we go on holiday. Breakfast will be omelette, lunch will be tuna and dinner/tea will be generally chicken or turkey with salad/vegetables. I intend on using a lot of broccoli but what other vegetables are there that will be good for me baring in mind I want to stay away from starchy foods like potatos.

So my calorie intake will be probably less, but more in tune with what I am trying to achieve, and my exercise output will be increasing somewhat. I do circuit training once a week, play football/soccer once to twice a week, play tennis once if not more a week and have now started training with my friend who does MMA doing some pad work and cardio. I have no real intention of ever taking it any further than just an exercise routine but in terms of what I've done - I've only been twice - I feel a lot better for it doing some punch and kick combinations, tyre flipping, punch bag work, ab exercises and we'll be aiming to do that 2/3/4 times a week if possible. On top of that I'll be continuing with my usual gym work for chest, back, arms, legs, shoulders most days. It sounds like a lot but it's all doable and I can fit it all in, I'm not worried about overworking myself but just wondering if there are any exercises or moves people are particularly finding useful at the moment?

Lastly the main area I really want to work is my obliques. They seem to store most of my fat and I'd like to try and pinch my waist in a bit if possible, on top of a few ab exercises I already do and my on going cardio, does anyone have any good tips for working this area of the body - I assume it's linked to your abs quite a bit and obviously cardio is needed to strip away the layer of body fat but am I missing anything in particular maybe?

And breathe. How are all you binklebots getting with your gym, exercise and dieting endeavours? :)