NHL 12

Mr. X

Puck rush.

I'm a center and I wager about 70% of my goals are from odd man rushes where the defense both play the wrong guy, and he slides a pass over to me at about the circle.

The best way to get those is to aggressively play the point on defense; how I mean, when they have their two guys at the back of your zone, whenever one of them gets the puck, charge out and poke check him. If you knock the puck loose you can keep going and probably get a two on one or three on two. If you miss, it doesn't matter because you're a forward and you have threefensemen (your LD, RD, and CD) covering behind you for when he passes the puck.

I'm a power forward, but I almost never bother to play for the front of the net. I sometimes get coaches tasks ("Go screen the net!" or "Get a rebound!" or "Do a barrel roll!") which means I have to, but I find playing for deflections to result in a very low success rate, and if you're in position for a rebound, chances are you will either get poke checked by the defensemen, or see a horrifying transformation occur as the other teams goalie suddenly morphs into 1998 Dominik Hasek (complete with broken english and eerily polite manner).

I found in NHL 11 I scored mostly with point shots but I was playing a defensemen, so perhaps that comes with the territory.

Thanks for the tip and I am certainly going to try to play some aggressive D. Hopefully it will get me more goals and show those OHL pussies that that 15 year old kid with a facecage will kick down your doors on a daily basis.

Also QFT, i dislike the tasks because when you fail them it will COMPLETELY tank your team mate grade. You could have 500 assists and goals in one match and if you fail the task they will still go ''HOW COULD YOU FAIL THE TASK YOU BASTARD! I HOPE YOU DIE!#!&^#!''

It asks me to play some epic PK, but why do i get penalized when A) I don't get thrown out for PK duty or B) We don't get any PK's for the rest of the game.

This game could do with less tasks... like 100% less.

I don't mind the tasks too much, I kind of like the extra challenge. Only ones that get to me are when the coach says 'Too many shots are getting through, I need you to block shots for the rest of the game.' Do you really want your 1st line center focusing on just blocking shots? I could understand getting in front of a couple, but you literally have to have more pucks hit you than the net/goalie to get % in it.

EDIT: Happened to notice just now that Toronto made a trade to get a center in my BAP. Toronto sent Lupul, a 1st round pick and V. Zharkov (whoever that is) to Calgary in exchange for Olli Jokinen and d-man Scott Hannan. Interesting, to say the least.

Edited by Closed and Moved to Archives

What is the technique for winning faceoffs? I win my fair share, but I never know what I'm doing and it's just random. From what I gather, does the right stick tie up the centre? Usually I put the two analog sticks opposite of each other and I win about 50%, but no idea if that's the right thing to do.

Right stick right/left determines your grip (forehand/backhand), but having never played actual hockey, I don't know how it works, like am I supposed to recognise what the other guy is doing and do the opposite? Up ties up the opposing centre, and I think you flick down or down and to the side when the puck's coming down to make your move.

EDIT: Actually, I think up on the right stick does the deke move or shoots, up on the left stick ties him up.

Well, fuck. I like the Leafs and all, but I didn't need my season to end exactly like theirs did.

Comes down to the final two games, and I've been in a battle for the 8th seed with Montreal and Carolina for the past two weeks. With two left to play, we're in 9th and three points behind Montreal with 91pts, and we're tied with Carolina for 88. I hope that if we get our shit together and win the final two, and catch a bit of luck and Montreal lose both, we may make a slide in. Well, we end up winning our first game, but of course, the Canadiens won and voila, I'm hit with Leafs-Syndrome. Now I'm left to play one meaningless game knowing we've missed the playoffs by two damn points (which could possibly be four if we lose to Ottawa here) Beat Ottawa.

--

After my first NHL season, and unfortunately missing the playoffs, we managed to get together a record of 42-32-8. Here's the stats I managed to put up. Note that I'll be bumping the difficulty to the hardest next season, as clearly I've dominated way too much this one in certain areas and I'll only be improving stat-wise.

Goals - 64

Assists - 92

Points - 156

(Other stats in spoiler)

PIMs - 321 (gotta get these down next season)

Plus/Minus - +46

Game Winning Goals - 7

Game Tying Goals - 2 (i call b/s on this :shifty:)

Shots - 498 (damnit, 2 more)

S% - 12.9%

FOW - 307 (of 572)

FO% - 53.7% (not bad, could work on it)

Hits - 407 (heads up :shifty: )

Giveaways/Takeaways - 238/160 (probably my most needed area of improvement, in both.)

What I led the league in, with 2nd and 3rd place in spoilers for fun :shifty:

Led the league in Goals (Ovy was 2nd with 59, then P. Kane with 42)

Led the league in Assists (M. Koivu was 2nd with 61, then N. Backstrom, M. Riberio and R. Nash tied with 60)

Led the league in Points (Ovy was 2nd with 99, then Nash with 91)

Led the league in PIMs (Carkner was 2nd with 287, then Neil with 262)

Led the league in +/- (Ovy was 2nd with 45, then K. Huselius with 41)

Led the league in Shots (Ovy was 2nd with 413, then Crosby with 351)

Led the league in Hits (T. Hamonic and E. Johnson tied for 2nd with 258)

Led the league in Giveaways (E. Brewer was 2nd with 116, then B. Gervais with 100. All from my team. Fuck.)

Led the league in Takeaways (Datsyuk was 2nd with 152, then Kessel with 91)

Also, just noticed my goalie, M. Garon, finished with 10 assists. Lulz, but he retired at the end of this year, so a good note to go out on.

Chicago and Philly met in the Stanley Cup finals after beating Calgary and Montreal respectively. Philly went on to win it in 5 games.

The trophies I brought home are the Art Ross Trophy, the Hart Memorial Trophy, the Calder Memorial Trophy, the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy, the Ted Lindsay Award, the Maurice Richard Trophy, and my name was on the short list for the Frank J. Selke Trophy says my coach.

To win faceoffs you have to push up as the puck is in the air and then pull it back down and towards one of the people behind you. If you are consistently missing that timing window, use the other stick (the skate stick) and push up, that way you will push yourself forward on your skates and leave the puck behind for a winger win, which gives you 50% odds.

For faceoffs, I usually hold the right stick either left or right depending on if I want forehand or backhand, and where I want it to go (as certain ways pass to certain d-men easier). Then, while holding it left/right, wait for the Ref's arm to stretch out to drop the puck and when it does, rotate it along the side down to the middle, while at the same time pointing the LEFT stick to which d-man you want it to go you.

If you hold the Right stick left, it's easier to pass to the d-man on your right.

If you hold the Right stick right, it's easier to pass to the d-man on your left.

Of course, my skater shoots right handed, so if you're a lefty, it's the complete opposite for you.

As for rotating the right stick up, I find that tapping or holding L1 while you rotate it up helps, as well as moving the left stick forwards, to push yourself into the opposing guy. I've found it's a lot harder this year to win faceoffs rotating it up though, and damn near impossible to do the deke around faceoff win.

Pushing up on the right stick will push the other center's stick back, so if you do that when the puck is in the air, there is no opposing stick when the puck drops, allowing you to sweep it back to the man behind you.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else getting disconnected randomly from the EA networks while playing HUT? It's cost me so many fucking tournaments now, it's annoying.

I'll be playing a game, all of a sudden it'll pause and say I've been disconnected, quit's my game and sends me back to the main menu. This, of course, costs me a loss as well as that tournament, as well as the contract and career's on my players. Bullshit, I say.

I've never managed to finish a HUT game without the EA servers disconnecting. I gave up on it ages ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Got drafted to Phoenix in second round (44th overall) in 2013 in BPA. Finished the season with 92 points with Red Deer Rebels (Ryan Nugent-Hopkins scored something like 120+ points that season -.-). Scored 1+1 in the pre-season games and Phoenix sends me back to WHL. Simmed through the season, ended up with 27 points and the team sucking. Next training camp scored 5 or 6 points and I was the second best in points. Started in 3rd line, now moved up to 2nd line and 3rd in points overall for the team.

My god this team sucks. Our record is something like 5-7-1 (which isn't that bad, I guess). First line right winger? George fuckin' Parros (83 OA). Other players in the line are Mikkel Boedker (with something like 1+2) and Kyle Turris, who's our best point scorer. We also signed Krys Kolanos right in the start of the season and the coach warned me that this might affect my position on the roster. He hasn't played a single game. Fucker.

I finished my season in the WHL with 120~ points, so why am I projected to go in the sixth round and you got picked in the 2nd? -_-

Because you touch yourself at night? Jesus now that's an old meme.

Did they ever fix HUT? I was obsessed with 11's but it likely will stop me buying it if there are disconnection errors non-stop. Especially since I don't really follow ice-hockey so it sort of suits me to make a fantasy team.

I think HUT is still fucked.

This post reminded me, though, that I got a new headset recently. And I think some of my lag last time might have been because I had the PC on torrenting. We should play another EAHSL game soon!

I will be home on tuesday and wednesday my time, which I think is thursday friday your time. I am bad with math though and geometry isn't my strong suit, so I dunno what time zone you're in.