NBA Thread 2011-12

sahyder1

Rondo may have just had the worst final possession I've ever seen. Down by 1, he stole the ball with about 9 seconds left and basically dribbled the clock out as though he's never had the ball in his hands late in a close game.

Do you know who I really wish my favourite team was? Golden State. I have always had a soft spot for them, I liked them when they had Mullin, I liked them when they had Webber. They have never had a complete team, but they have always been exciting and as if they are one or two players away from going deep in the playoffs every year. How the fuck do they always manage to fuck it up though? Like honestly? I can't think of any other team that has had the calibre of players that consistently get and have failed to build a franchise. Even The Nets made it to a Finals series.

Also I really don't care who wins this year, even though it will obviously be OKC <3. The shortened season champions are just keeping the trophy warm for Rubio's T'Wolves next year. ^_^

Oh and fuck the Lakers and the Spurs and Miami. Anyone to win but those three, and especially OKC (or Pacers) to win.

Why do you hate them? Besides being a Lakers fan, I mean? They're one of the most consistently entertaining teams out there.

I thought I'd love the Clippers and they are entertaining but they definitely have some dislikable features. The obvious one being the softness some of the team has portrayed. Griffin falling everywhere, Paul(who I have so much respect for) is also quite the embellisher. Reggie Evans' little incident at midcourt. Coupled with that they whine for calls a lot, just take a look back a couple games to that stupid game with however many technical fouls.

At least Kobe has 5 rings to back up his ego and general aura of douchebaggery.

Though I think a lot of the Clippers problems stem from their coach just not having a hold on the team. They get away with their on-court attitude because their coach is a weak personality. Phil Jackson, not that he's coming out of retirement for the Clippers, would have that team playing a lot more professionally. There's not a lot of NBA coaches who can handle the personalities of the stars in a personality-driven league. That's why we all hate LeBron. Mike Brown and Erik Spoelstra don't exactly command the respect from their players that keeps egos and personalities in the background.

LOLebron. This Pacers/Heat game should be studied so that future basketball players can see what the "lack of clutch gene" looks like. There was something like 15 missed FT in the 4th quarter alone, including a pair by the "MVP".

Lebron James is such a fascinating player. I feel like I've seen this story unfold a couple of times already in my lifetime with Alex Rodriguez & Peyton Manning.

Both of those guys were considered the premier athlete in their game, but both were criticized for not being able to get over the hump. A-Rod and Peyton were considered pretty much the opposite of clutch players. When it seemed like it couldn't get worse for Manning (being down by 20 against the Pats in 07) or A-Rod (09 steroid allegations) that was the time they finally broke through. Their immense talents came up big and they won their respective teams championships. Even though neither man has won a ring since a lot of pressure has been taken off of them.

That's what I feel like we're seeing with Lebron. This year the pressure is at its absolute pinnacle. There really is no more room for failure. That's sort of the reason why I think this is the year he actually gets it done. Would I be upset if he doesn't? Not at all, I'd find it hysterical. But, sometimes I feel as if sports is a predictable story, and this story seems to end with Lebron coming up HUGE and winning a title.

Considering A-Rod is a juicer, I really don't think he belongs in a discussion about great athletes. He's a cheater and he was part of a team full of all stars when he won.