NBA Thread 2011-12

sahyder1

It's shocking to me that Cory Maggette still has a job. He's been floating around in the league for seemingly over a decade now while never being considered that good. Maybe I just don't know too much about him, but I just don't understand why teams are cosntantly trading for/signing this guy.

He's one of those guys who makes far too much money for his current level of production, so his contract/potential cap space is a better asset than he is as a player. There are a lot of guys in the NBA who make between say $7-12 million/yr that are basically just trade chips. This is the main reason the NBA's cap system sucks. The Knicks for instance kept Eddy Curry for so long without playing him, just so they could use him as an expiring contract. In the NFL, he would just be cut and re-signed at a much better number. In the NBA, he just ends up on the trade treadmill until his contract finally ends.

It's shocking to me that Cory Maggette still has a job. He's been floating around in the league for seemingly over a decade now while never being considered that good. Maybe I just don't know too much about him, but I just don't understand why teams are cosntantly trading for/signing this guy.

He's one of those guys who makes far too much money for his current level of production, so his contract/potential cap space is a better asset than he is as a player. There are a lot of guys in the NBA who make between say $7-12 million/yr that are basically just trade chips. This is the main reason the NBA's cap system sucks. The Knicks for instance kept Eddy Curry for so long without playing him, just so they could use him as an expiring contract. In the NFL, he would just be cut and re-signed at a much better number. In the NBA, he just ends up on the trade treadmill until his contract finally ends.

Bullshit, Eddy Curry never goes anywhere near a treadmill.

• Like 5

Anyone else fascinated by this year's draft class. It really looks like everyone selected in the first round this year should be reliable contributors, and teams may find some decent enough guys in the second round as well.

As a Syracuse fan I'm keeping my eyes on Waiters, Fab Melo & Kris Joseph (if he gets drafted), but there are plenty of other fun names that I'm curious to see where they wind up. It's a shame both the Knicks and Nets don't have picks in the first round this year.

I was talking about Maggette! Eddy Curry is now an NBA Champion, so I guess he gets the last laugh.

Chandler, Curry, Gasol, and Battier all have rings. Take that Kwame Brown!

Also, Rockets traded for the 12th pick. Lakers have formally put out their terms for a Pau Gasol trade, no surprise it's a player and a pick.

On the contrary. I think this year's class is weak and boring. I don't remember the last time I was this uninterested.

Word. A defensive stopper being the prize of a draft class is so '80s. Seriously though, there is no one in this draft that I'm interested in following or seeing how they develop outside of Unibrow.

I like the Wizards getting Beal. He's a pure scorer, and creates a pretty strong backcourt with Wall until he leaves in a few years. At least the team will be fun and exciting to watch even though they won't win anything.

And I bet Perry Jones and Jarred Sullinger are both wishing they had entered the draft a year earlier, granted the doctors might have found the same medical problems but you never know. They both lost millions between 2011 and 2012.

I'm hoping Jones to OKC will make them open to giving the T'Wolves Ibaka for fuck all. I would really like Ibaka on the Wolves.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Wolves, with a legacy of horrible signings, spend way too much on Ibaka. Someone's gonna do it. He'll ease the loss of Kevin Love signing with LA.

I like the Wizards getting Beal. He's a pure scorer, and creates a pretty strong backcourt with Wall until he leaves in a few years. At least the team will be fun and exciting to watch even though they won't win anything.

And I bet Perry Jones and Jarred Sullinger are both wishing they had entered the draft a year earlier, granted the doctors might have found the same medical problems but you never know. They both lost millions between 2011 and 2012.

I think the "he must be upset because he lost so much money" thing is kind of dumb, especially in the NBA since there's a wage scale. Had they dropped out of the 1st entirely and lost out on having a guaranteed contract, then yeah I'm sure they would regret it. But now they don't get paid quite as much but still have the guaranteed contract and are actually on good teams, instead of being stuck in Purgatory (aka Charlotte).

The Hornets really have a nice young core now with Davis-Rivers-Gordon. If they miss the playoffs this year, most likely scenario, then they add another lottery pick next year...sign a decent free agent, and they are a legit threat in a few years.