NBA Thread 2011-12

sahyder1

Okay, there's some collusion going on if Deron Williams went back to the Nets instead of the Mavericks. We'll either see Dwight there this summer or next. I have zero doubt now. Lakers can float Bynum out there all they want, he ain't gonna sign there when he feels like he can have his version of a big three (plus Gerald Wallace) in Brooklyn with an owner with incredibly deep pockets.

I don't know why I ever doubted this would happen. Fuck this league, it's unbelievable the new CBA fixed nothing.

The Nets literally can't trade for Dwight Howard now, and it's because they signed Teletovic to the non-tax payer MLE, which means they are not allowed to go over the luxury tax of 74.3 mil.

Hollinger breaks this down greatly if you are an ESPN insider, http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8128257/nba-do-not-bet-dwight-howard-brooklyn

The Nets have committed 53.4 mil to 6 players(Deron, JJ, Gwall, Brooks, Teletovic, Evans). Dwight Howard alone counts for 19.5 mil, which puts them at 72.9. Problem is, they'd still have 5 other roster spots to fill. It is not possible to sign 5 years for a total of 1.4 million with the minimum contracts in the NBA.

The Nets will re-sign Lopez and Humphries, fill out the roster from there and tell Dwight thanks, but no thanks.

Eric Gordon and the Phoenix Suns have agreed to terms on a maximum-salaried contract worth $58 million over four years.

Gordon, the New Orleans Hornets' star shooting guard, will sign the offer sheet on July 11th. Because Gordon is a restricted free agent, the Hornets will then have three days to match the offer.

New Orleans has claimed all along that it will match any offer Gordon receives, but Gordon is hoping the Hornets do not match.

Gordon said Tuesday night that his preference is to play for the Suns, not the Hornets.

"After visiting the Suns, the impression the organization made on me was incredible," Gordon said in a statement. "Mr. (Robert) Sarver, Lon Babby, Lance Blanks, the Front Office Staff and Coach (Alvin) Gentry run a first-class organization, and I strongly feel they are the right franchise for me. Phoenix is just where my heart is now."

Gordon's desire to leave the Hornets puts a damper on what had been a terrific week for the club. Last Thursday, New Orleans selected Anthony Davis with the No. 1 pick in the draft and guard Austin Rivers at No. 10.

The league-wide assumption was that Gordon and the two rookies would form a trio that would lead the Hornets back to relevance. Of course, that could still be the case if New Orleans matches the offer.

Gordon would prefer to play in Phoenix, but sources with knowledge of the Hornets' thinking confirmed to ESPN.com that New Orleans will match the offer.

I don't know how Eric Gordon makes the Suns any better than they currently are without Nash but I like the move been a Suns fan (even though the Hornets will match the offer)... I just wish Nash would stick around or Phoenix would work out a sign and trade with New York or something...

Edited by phatman

The Nets literally can't trade for Dwight Howard now, and it's because they signed Teletovic to the non-tax payer MLE, which means they are not allowed to go over the luxury tax of 74.3 mil.

Hollinger breaks this down greatly if you are an ESPN insider, http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8128257/nba-do-not-bet-dwight-howard-brooklyn

The Nets have committed 53.4 mil to 6 players(Deron, JJ, Gwall, Brooks, Teletovic, Evans). Dwight Howard alone counts for 19.5 mil, which puts them at 72.9. Problem is, they'd still have 5 other roster spots to fill. It is not possible to sign 5 years for a total of 1.4 million with the minimum contracts in the NBA.

The Nets will re-sign Lopez and Humphries, fill out the roster from there and tell Dwight thanks, but no thanks.

What happens if they trade him for picks or a non-MLE player?

What collusion? They could give him more money than anyone else and all his shit is already there.

I had a suspicion that Deron and Dwight made a pact similar to what LeBron, Bosh, and Wade did a few years back where they decided they'd play together when the time came for them to be free agents and choose their new homes.

I can't read that article in depth as I'm not an Insider subscriber, but couldn't they trade away some of the salary to bring in Dwight? On the other hand, I also would not be shocked if Billy King screwed up his math.

Also, what does Eric Gordon have to gain by going to a Phoenix team about to plunge even deeper into rebuilding mode?

I'm not touching the Nets nonsense, but the Asik, Fields, Gordon and Hibbert contracts are clear indications that the new CBA was a big waste of time. Fields and Asik are not ~7-8+ million dollar guys and Gordon and Hibbert are not "max" players. The league is rapidly turning into a glorified Hoop It Up contest. For those who don't know, it's a 3 on 3 streetball tournament.

Yeah I wanna know as well. I always thought min contract guys didn't touch the cap as you can do that in basketball games.

If over the cap, you can only sign free agents using an exception (like the mid level) or sign players to league minimum contracts. They still go against you cap number, but you can exceed the cap and still sign players that way.

Not sure what you mean?

The Nets could've gotten Dwight, but they decided they'd rather have JJ, Gwall, Teletovic, Evans, and probably Lopez/Humphries rather than just Dwight. There is no way they can now get Dwight this off-season. Don't believe anything you hear on ESPN. I was watching JA Adande talking yesterday on Sportscenter and he had no idea about any of this stuff...you'd think people talking on ESPN would have a clue, but I guess not.

One thing I'm finding really annoying about this offseason that I don't remember from previous seasons are the "troll" offer sheets. Asik and Fields spring to mind. "We're only paying him 7 million for two seasons, but the last season is 92 million dollars! Your move, other team!" Is this backloading thing new, because I swear there used to be "max raises" between seasons that didn't allow that sort of thing.

Not sure what you mean?

The Nets could've gotten Dwight, but they decided they'd rather have JJ, Gwall, Teletovic, Evans, and probably Lopez/Humphries rather than just Dwight. There is no way they can now get Dwight this off-season. Don't believe anything you hear on ESPN. I was watching JA Adande talking yesterday on Sportscenter and he had no idea about any of this stuff...you'd think people talking on ESPN would have a clue, but I guess not.

I mean if they find another team willing to take them, can't they trade the players to bring down their salary load so that they can still sign him?

Eh, I don't think it's a move in the right direction for them. But if you're not paying too much and only giving up later first round picks anyways, why not do it? They might be able to eek out another finals appearance with Nash involved, but they'll still have their hands full with the Thunder and I don't think they can beat the Heat.

Stranger things have happened though.