NBA Thread 2011-12

sahyder1

Okay, well I don't know who to trust anymore. I'm told the Nets can't possibly manage to pay Howard. Then I'm told that the Nets are still exploring trade possibilities and the Magic are willing to deal him for the right return. And now, Brooklyn appears to be trying to make a Howard trade work by getting Cleveland involved as a third team to make it so salaries balance out.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8142542/sources-cleveland-cavaliers-help-brooklyn-nets-land-dwight-howard-trade

Can we just get this over with?

Okay, well I don't know who to trust anymore. I'm told the Nets can't possibly manage to pay Howard. Then I'm told that the Nets are still exploring trade possibilities and the Magic are willing to deal him for the right return. And now, Brooklyn appears to be trying to make a Howard trade work by getting Cleveland involved as a third team to make it so salaries balance out.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8142542/sources-cleveland-cavaliers-help-brooklyn-nets-land-dwight-howard-trade

Can we just get this over with?

The Nets can now get Dwight because they changed what they are paying the guy they signed to the MLE, going from the non-tax payers MLE to the tax payers one.

Looks like this deal will get done, with Lopez + lots of 1sts to Orlando, Dwight + a bad contract or two to Brooklyn, and Humphries/Brooks to Cleveland, with other pieces involved.

Edited by Mofoticon

Yeah, I'm not sure how Orlando doesn't walk away with Lopez and Brooks. Enjoy those 5 extra late first round picks though.

Atlanta nabs Lou Williams, though I've yet to see terms of the deal. Pairing him with Devin Harris has given us a promising - if not necessarily proven - PG pairing. Meanwhile, Orlando's trying to figure out where to ship Whineybutt, with Atlanta apparently "not the best option".

Wanted him before he went batty, now I'd rather have Horford.

I don't think the Ray Allen or Rashard Lewis are really that big of deals for Miami. They were already a very good 3-point shooting team so they will continue to improve there, but questions still remain about their size and strength. I think they could have used a guy like Camby more than another 3-point shooter. Ultimately, the Heat's success next year, like it was this year, will come down to whether or not they will hit their 3s. All their shooters were locked on in the Finals so you cannot expect a better performance than that.

With Steve Nash joining the Lakers, and potentially Howard to the Nets I think we may have two new teams that are fully capable of beating the defending champs next year.

I don't know, the game is changing. The Thunder had a much more physical and dominating front court and they couldn't stop the Heat. It's all athleticism now, speed kills, just look at what happened to the Spurs. Camby would just slow things up for the Heat.

I don't know, the game is changing. The Thunder had a much more physical and dominating front court and they couldn't stop the Heat. It's all athleticism now, speed kills, just look at what happened to the Spurs. Camby would just slow things up for the Heat.

I don't really think there is one specific way to build a championship team, and although speed seemed to prevail this year the Heat's toughest challenges came up against teams you wouldn't consider quick at all (Pacers & Boston). Ultimately, I think it still comes down to hitting big shots, smart play, and tight defense. It doesn't matter if your team is old, young, fast or slow...if you can do that you can win the title. Just look at Dallas two years ago they were clearly outmatched athletically yet dominated the Finals, and this year the Heat sort of looked like the Mavs of two years ago. They seemed to be the slower team, but they played smarter/hit their shots and won easily.