NBA Thread 2011-12

sahyder1

Amare Stoudemire said that the possibility of the players creating their own league is a "very, very real possibility."

I wonder who's going to pay these players, and how they're going to get their product televised.

Someone would televise it, nothing to worry about there.

Amare Stoudemire said that the possibility of the players creating their own league is a "very, very real possibility."

I wonder who's going to pay these players, and how they're going to get their product televised.

I have no idea how'd they start it up, but I'm assuming guys like LeBron, Wade, Dwight, Kobe, etc could fund their own teams and maybe they'd hold some sort of "fantasy draft." I can see each player have a team based in their hometown (LeBron comes back to Cleveland whether that goes over good or bad, Wade goes to Chicago, Howard in Atlanta and Kobe in Philly, all big markets.)

Are we talking "Longhorn Network" televised or something actual Americans can watch? :shifty:

Does Viacom have an NBA deal? If not, Spike TV/MTV would almost certainly find room for it.

Edit:From quick research, it's pretty much TNT, ESPN, and ABC. So Spike TV is in play, Versus is in play, it would not be hard to get it on the air, assuming the players league didn't expect much in the way of payment from the networks.

Edited by pizzamonkey

Well according to this, TNT paid 2.2 billion for their TV rights for the next 6 years so that's about $366 million a year. You really don't think some network wouldn't fork out say, $100 million for the broadcasting rights? If you have 10 teams that's $10 million per team. Sponsor the uniforms for another $1 million a piece and just agree to pool all of the regular season money earned and split between the players. Maybe give the 1st round pick 15%, the 2nd round pick 12%, the 3rd round pick 9%, etc or something per team earnings and then the teams that make it to their playoff system get to keep and split whatever money they get from playoff games.

Sounds like a lot of time and effort and money to spend on something that would only be around for maybe a year.

LeBron's trying to win ANY kind of championship he can. I'm sure he'll try to work it so that his team would be himself, D-Rose, Durant, CP3 & Dwight Howard so that no one could say he was piggy backing on a former champ to get his ring :shifty:

As far as jerseys go, I think adidas sponsors the NBA, and Nike or Reebok, or even Under Armour, would just over anything the players get together.

I'm not sure how exclusive the contracts are between the NBA and networks, but I don't see why ESPN wouldn't cover the league as well. If they couldn't get a hold of the footage, casual sports fans wouldn't jump on board if they didn't see it on SportsCenter day in and day out.

What's all this talk about LeBron playing in the NFL? This isn't something that could possibly happen, right?

LeBron went a few days without hearing his name on ESPN and decided to change that. The only reason any team would sign him is to have the novelty of selling an official LeBron James NFL jersey.

Well according to this, TNT paid 2.2 billion for their TV rights for the next 6 years so that's about $366 million a year. You really don't think some network wouldn't fork out say, $100 million for the broadcasting rights? If you have 10 teams that's $10 million per team. Sponsor the uniforms for another $1 million a piece and just agree to pool all of the regular season money earned and split between the players. Maybe give the 1st round pick 15%, the 2nd round pick 12%, the 3rd round pick 9%, etc or something per team earnings and then the teams that make it to their playoff system get to keep and split whatever money they get from playoff games.

And I guess the arenas would let them use their courts out of the goodness of their hearts.

Really, of all the problems with my half-thought out idea on how they could run their own league that is what you focus on? I'm sure if Chris Paul is getting over a million people streaming his charity game, some arenas with open dates can be persuaded to take part of the gate and/or concessions in return for the use of their building.

If anything, the biggest problem I see is finding insurance.

Really, of all the problems with my half-thought out idea on how they could run their own league that is what you focus on? I'm sure if Chris Paul is getting over a million people streaming his charity game, some arenas with open dates can be persuaded to take part of the gate and/or concessions in return for the use of their building.

If anything, the biggest problem I see is finding insurance.

No NBA affiliated arena would host the games. Could they play in college arenas?