NBA Thread 2011-12

sahyder1

Can CP3 even come here to NY? We have only like 13 million in cap room (assuming the cap stays the same) with no one on the books but STAT and Melo and really no assets to trade for him without gutting out the team, not to mention any draft picks. I suppose he could force the Hornets hand like Melo did with Denver, but do we really need to go the Heat route with three stars and a bunch of guys signing for the vet minimum and a partial mid-level exception?

I'd honestly much rather have D-12.

Can CP3 even come here to NY? We have only like 13 million in cap room (assuming the cap stays the same) with no one on the books but STAT and Melo and really no assets to trade for him without gutting out the team, not to mention any draft picks. I suppose he could force the Hornets hand like Melo did with Denver, but do we really need to go the Heat route with three stars and a bunch of guys signing for the vet minimum and a partial mid-level exception?

I'd honestly much rather have D-12.

They don't need to trade for him, although they could swap Billups and his expiring plus draft picks if necessary. They just need to wait a season and sign him as a free agent. The 'Melo situation was different because the CBA was about to explode and he wanted to get his deal under the old rules. As far as what the Knicks should do, yes I think they should go all in and take their chances on 3 megastars and roleplayers. The Lakers core is getting older, so is Boston's. OKC is going to eventually have to pay Durant, Westbrook and others and if they "steal" a title in 5 years that's better than anything else that's happened in the last 40 <_<

I also would prefer Howard because then all we'd need is spot up shooters and those guys are willing to take less.

We don't have any draft picks to trade. Not first round, anyway. You can't trade future first round draft picks for consecutive years, so that's out of the window. I suppose you're right on the 3 megastars thing, as any combination of Melo/Amare and CP3 or D-12 would be enough to challenge the Heat for years to come. I'm just worried about either one wanting to take a pay cut of that much money when they could sign or get traded to other contenders for more. I'm confident one of them will come here though, so I guess that's a moot point. I'll just be happy that we don't suck again. :lol:

Rumors are also going around that NY is obviously Paul's first choice, but that he will also consider the Clippers, which would be scary if it weren't for the fact that they're still the Clippers.

I'm torn on my want for Paul and my want for Howard. I can't help but think we'd be damn hard to beat with Howard underneath, though. Having a great big man is the best piece you can have to the puzzle. I obviously wouldn't turn my nose at Paul coming over, but adding Howard would cause a bigger impact, I think.

Damn, now I'm getting all excited about the Knicks again. :/

We don't have any draft picks to trade. Not first round, anyway. You can't trade future first round draft picks for consecutive years, so that's out of the window. I suppose you're right on the 3 megastars thing, as any combination of Melo/Amare and CP3 or D-12 would be enough to challenge the Heat for years to come. I'm just worried about either one wanting to take a pay cut of that much money when they could sign or get traded to other contenders for more. I'm confident one of them will come here though, so I guess that's a moot point. I'll just be happy that we don't suck again. :lol:

Rumors are also going around that NY is obviously Paul's first choice, but that he will also consider the Clippers, which would be scary if it weren't for the fact that they're still the Clippers.

CP3 and Blake Griffin would be fun too watch as teammates.

The Christmas schedule has been released. In addition to Boston/New York, Miami/Dallas and Chicago/Lakers as originally planned, Oklahoma City/Orlando and Clippers/Golden State have been added as well.

The full schedule for the season will be released on Tuesday, with the ratification coming on Thursday.

Wow. "One of these is not like the others" indeed.

To be fair, both are extremely young teams with a lot of potential. Plus, it will probably end up being the highest scoring game of the night and they've often have one of those on last during their holiday coverage.

Yeah but if we acknowledge those small market teams are kinda good and exciting by giving them nationally televised games we have to help them out when all their stars want to bolt after 6 years by placing more restrictions on the big guys and that's so un-NBA. But it's very pro-DMN, so at least someone's happy.

And the Clippers should move to Anaheim. Different market for a new start and it blocks the Kings from betraying Sacramento. What was the rationale for the Clippers even moving to LA from Buffalo in the first place? Buffalo's a small market I know, and probably not a solid NBA town, but why the hell did the owner settle on being in the shadow of one of the most recognizable sports teams in the world?