Sports experiences

Cymbols

I started on the wing for both junior AND high school but both times ended up as the school goalkeeper after an injury to the previous keeper. I was a great shot stopper and used to shout at the defence a lot. I'm also prone to migraines and a couple of times have been in goal during a school game when a migraine started (and I couldn't really see anything). In one game I conceded three goals in the half which I should have stopped because of the migraine. :angry:

However a few weeks later we went to play a really good team. They went 3-0 up at half time (defence's fault, not mine) and the game finished 3-0 despite the opposition team having, according to the ref who was counting, 30 shots on target in the second half. Ref and both coaches shook my hand after as did most of the opposition team. They just ran the defence totally ragged, embarrassing.

Played a LOT of cricket growing up too, captained school and club up to under 14 and then moved up to under 16 at the age of 13 and then played adults from 14/15 onwards. Playing one game we were fielding. I was at point and one of our older guys was at square leg. Bowler bowled, batsman swivelled and hit a perfect pull shot straight at the fielder. It smacked into his shins with the sound of a bullet shot and he went down like he HAD been shot. Horrible sound, hilarious afterwards though.

Played as a winger for the local U18 rugby team. We were getting beaten pretty badly and hadn't had much of the run of the game. I'd received the ball a couple of times but nothing with good attacking intent so I'd taken to charging down the catching player immediately from kick-off, much to the enjoyment of our manager.

Anyway, five minutes to go and a guy on the opposite flank gets the ball and breaks through our defence and makes the long run for the line. Anyway back then I was actually really fast (hence playing wing) and I ran across field (so width of the field and was probably 15 yards back from him too), caught him about a yard or two from the try line and instead of tackling properly I just grabbed him around the throat from behind and pulled him over backwards. Penalty try awarded, very upset opposition players and we lost 71-7 anyway...