Sports experiences

Cymbols

Have you ever had any funny, interesting, annoying or just plain weird sports related moments or injuries?

If so, share if you want.

Here's mine-

Playing in goal, opponents had a penalty. I saved it, but dislocated my shoulder at the same time which meant I missed a big school game.

Representing my country, I was sent off against Argentina for stupidly kicking out at someone. After vilification from everyone, I was able to gain some measure of retribution by scoring the winning penalty against Argentina four years later. However, I was unable to lead my team past the quarter final stage, as we were once again shown up on the big stage.

Dunno which of your categories my story falls under.

I have tons of sports stories from over the years.

In my first year of Senior League baseball, my team faced a starting pitcher who ended up being drafted by the Rangers. He was 17, I was 14. He was throwing in the high 80's, low 90's. The mother fucker hit me all three times I faced him. The first time was on my thigh, which left stitch marks. The second was off my bicep, which left stitch marks. And the third time was off my ankle which left stitch marks and a purple welt the size of a golf ball. That thing stayed there for like six months. Never faced him again. So whenever I see him, I always bring up that I have a spotless on-base percentage against him. <_<

In lacrosse in high school, I was in goal, and one of the opposing forwards cut across the middle for a pass. As soon as he got the ball one of my defensemen came in and clocked the shit out of him, jabbing his fists and stick into the kids neck. The game was stopped while a helicopter came and took him to the hospital. That was unreal. Never heard what happened to him either...

My middle school basketball team didn't lose a game in the three years I was there, yet we never won a State Championship. Back then middle school basketball didn't have a tournament in my state. It was just by rankings.

I scored the only touchdown in my life the last game of my senior year when I picked off a pass and returned it for the score. We were winning by two scores and there was only three or four minutes left. The opposing team were driving down the field on us thanks to a couple 20+ yard passes. I nearly fell flat on my face when I leaped in front of the receiver for the ball. I'm not the fastest guy in the world. Luckily the pass was near the sideline so when I picked it off, I was pretty much by myself.

In a JV football game I scored 2 TDs off of fumble recoveries. The first one popped loose somewhere between our 10 and 15 yard line, but the ball got kicked, I picked it up around the 20 and ran it back about 80 yards. Then I had to play kick coverage and nearly passed out as I had to do another 60+ yard sprint. The second TD happened in their end zone late in the 4th quarter, and I just fell on the ball. That was much easier on my lungs, but about 6 guys landed on me which sucked. I originally tried out to be a WR and ended up scoring more points on defense than I ever did on offense because our QB was the drizzles.

I had a strike rate of 100 for my school cricket team, I was a bowler and we played 20 over matches so I never got to bat apart from in one game, I faced one ball and got a single then my batting partner hit a 4 and we won.

Remember playing two tournaments at the Liverpool Academy, the first one we got knocked out in the quarter finals (got sent off for two silly yellow cards) and the second time we got to the semis but the second time was probably more memorable as in the quarter final match I went on a run from midfield and managed to smash one in the top corner then our keeper dislocated his thumb so I went in goal and managed to make a save with my foot.

I'm the type of player who loves to get stuck in so when I outmuscled someone on the ball and they fell over they took a swipe at me with their foot as I passed the ball so later on in the game when they were on the counterattack of a corner, ran half the length of the pitch and pulled off a hard but legal tackle and he went flying. Didn't try and kick me after that.

Somehow got a concussion playing Badminton in PE once...for some reason the benches weren't moved fully away from the courts so when I was running back I fell over the bench and hit my head on the wall.

And being the best in rugby in my secondary school because ( A) My build helps and B) Liverpool ain't exactly a rugby playing place) then going to college in St.Helens and basically crashing back down to earth when I played rugby there.

In primary school I knocked out Darren Bent (and claimed a goal) during a six a side football game. I'd ended up in goal and managed to get down well to make a save to my right. Got up and thrown the ball out hammered him in the back of the head and the ball rolled in. While he got the last touch the throw was clearly on target to begin with. Later on I was out scoring him in secondary school then completel wrecked my knee, I should've been missing sitters for England :(

On the rugby pitch I played for an hour in a game with a broken arm, I'd gone over for a try as an opponent dropped onto my arm and broke it. It hurt like heck (as one would expect) but the shirt didn't really show up and I just assumed it was a tough impact hit and played on but not really using the right arm, it wasn't until after the match trying to get changed I couldn't get the shirt off the arm and when shirt was off noticed it's not normally bent at that angle... Oh and I broke a PE teachers nose palming him off as he attempted to tackle me in a game.

May be a few more but they'll come back soon...

I once puched a Year 7 during a thirty-a-side football/rugby/Aussie rules mish-mash-a-thon. That's about it.

Is puched a mixture of a push and a punch, like the gays do?

I snapped my ankle in half whilst playing as a GK in a kick-about with mates. I am now a little scared to come for crosses.

This year, when playing in goal cos our keeper was injured, I came out of my box and tried to slide the attacker. He took it round me and instinctivly pushed the ball a little. The guy went on to miss an open goal, or our defender managed to get in the way. When the ref went to send me off our linesman claimed I didn't handball it and all was forgotten. :shifty:

Is everyone a 'keeper on this board?

Now that you say it...

I used to play in goal 90% of the time in Primary School and Secondary School. Never in actual important games (I did play briefly for my local under 12s but never really got much playing time and usually as an outfield player), just P.E and whatever. Once while playing the class above us in Primary School I was in goal and I went to sweep the ball up from the feet of the oncoming older boy (who for a 12 year old was massive, almost a half a foot taller than everyone else, at least it seemed like it) and I apparently headbutted him in the shins.

In secondary school I once again headbutted someone while playing in goal. This time in P.E during our many indoor games (I was considered by my year to be quite the good keeper and at least I was for indoor soccer I generally never let in more than 3 goals, which was comparable to a clean sheet in these games). I can't remember how it happened but I jumped to punch a ball clear and smacked the oncoming attacker with my head. It was kind of sweet, because I hated the guy.

In a later game, I dived to stop the ball, my knee felt like it dislocated slightly only to pop back into place. This happened twice each time I yelled out in pain too and nobody questioned why. I suppose it didn't matter because I was fine.