Euro 2004

pigeon

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still can't believe people like Sven and Neville still think that playing Lampard in a defensive midfield role is the right decision. Lampard and Gerrard have been the two best midfields in the Premiership this season (IMO) and leaving either out is stupid - but then again so is playing them out of position. Scholes on the other hand hasn't been too great for England.

If they persist with the diamond I'd say:

---------------- Lampard -----------------

Gerrard------------------------Beckham

-----------------Butt/P.Neville--------------

I know Gerrard on the left isn't great - but he'd be better than Lampard would on the left.

I'm not a Man Utd fan but I do remember Neville playing a similiar role and, particually in a match against Arsenal, doing it well. That's if Butt isn't fit enough.

Edited by fineintent

Eriksson confirms squad

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson has confirmed his line-up for Euro 2004, with Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard handed the number 11 shirt.

The news reinforces the belief that Lampard and not Nicky Butt will start as England's defensive midfielder.

There were no surprises as Eriksson confirmed the squad he had originally chosen at the end of the season.

Aston Villa striker Darius Vassell had been an injury doubt but he has kept his place ahead of Jermain Defoe.

"I'm fine. The England staff have looked after me really well, they have been on top of the injury and I have trained well this week," said Vassell.

Eriksson is also confident David Beckham, Gary Neville and John Terry will recover from knocks sustained in Wednesday's 1-1 draw with Japan.

Neville said: "I'm fine, there's nothing to worry about. I just got a dead-leg on my hip and it was a sore one.

"It's the same for David, I wouldn't worry about that. We will both be OK and these things happen, but I don't think we've got anything serious."

Eriksson has yet to decide whether to start with any or all of the trio in Saturday's final warm-up game against Iceland, although it appears likely that Lampard will get another chance to impress.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

England's Euro 2004 squad:

Goalkeepers: 1. David James (Man City), 13. Paul Robinson (Tottenham), 22. Ian Walker (Leicester)

Defenders: 2. Gary Neville (Man Utd), 3. Ashley Cole (Arsenal), 5. John Terry (Chelsea), 6. Sol Campbell (Arsenal), 12. Wayne Bridge (Chelsea), 14. Phil Neville (Man Utd), 15. Ledley King (Tottenham), 16. Jamie Carragher (Liverpool).

Midfielders: 4. Steven Gerrard (Liverpool|), 7. David Beckham (Real Madrid), 8. Paul Scholes (Man Utd), 11. Frank Lampard (Chelsea), 17. Nicky Butt (Man Utd), 18. Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), 19. Joe Cole (Chelsea), 20. Kieron Dyer (Newcastle)

Strikers: 9. Wayne Rooney (Everton), 10. Michael Owen (Liverpool), 21. Emile Heskey (Liverpool), 23. Darius Vassell (Aston Villa).

Source

Well the squad numbers have been confirmed. Lampard get's number 11, so that's a good indicator her might start...I guess

Lampard in the DMC position? Then who's getting the AMC position? Scholes (heaven forbid)? Gerrard? I know both Lampard and Gerrard are rated for going forward, but I was always under the impression that Gerrard played defensively a lot more than Lampard did...or maybe I'm overestimating his talents. ;)

Actually, from looking at the list of squad numbers in general, it looks like it'll probably be:

-----------Rooney-------------Owen--------------

--------------------Scholes------------------------

Gerrard----------------------------------Beckham

-------------------Lampard------------------------

A.Cole------Terry-------Campbell------G.Neville

--------------------James---------------------------

Damn that Paul Scholes...

The squad that is going is prove that we will not win Euro 2004. We will be lucky to qualify from our group. I mean, Lampard will have to play in the defensive role for some reason, when Gerrard is better equiped (out of the four).

Heskey is absolutely bollocks. My Nan would make more of an impact at Euro 2004 than he will

Vassell is average, but has been shit for Villa and is struggling with an injury. He gets picked basically for pace, even though Beattie and Defoe are better than him

Butt can't even get into the Man United squad so I don't see why he's going

Other than Terry and Sol, we're fucked for centre backs at the minute

The three goalies are a joke, and I think they've conceded about 150 goals between them in the league this season

Rooney is the most over-rated player of all time. He might be the next Pele, in 5/6 years

Butt can't even get into the Man United squad so I don't see why he's going

Name one time Nicky Butt has let down his country. He has a knack of playing really well for England. World Cup 2002 is why he's going. I trust him more than virtually anyone in the England team except Neville,Gerrard, Beckham, Owen and Campbell. You know you can count on Butt.

Vassell is average, but has been shit for Villa and is struggling with an injury. He gets picked basically for pace, even though Beattie and Defoe are better than him

Defoe - yes. Beattie - no. Beattie has proved each time he's been picked he's not yet good enough to play for England. Vassell on the other hand, always seems to score as a sub.

The three 'keepers aren't a joke IMO. If it wasn't for James, Man City would've gone down. Walker and Robinson are the same, granted their teams did go down, but without them their relegation would've been announced mid-season!

Withou those 'keepers, the repective teams would've been fucked from day one (except for Man City who had Seaman :D).

The three goalies are a joke, and I think they've conceded about 150 goals between them in the league this season

It's probably more than that. Robinson conceeded 79 goals this season, Wlker was also in goal for a relegated team, and James has been in goal for a team in a relegation battle all season, but of course he was relegated last season so that should make you feel better.

Scholes should be dropped, He doesn't deserve to be in the England team in a starting role.

Quoted for emphasis.

If I was Sven, My midfield would be:

------------Lampard---------

-J.Cole-----------------Beckham-

------------Parker------------

England captain David Beckham has backed team-mate Paul Scholes to end his goal drought and start reproducing his club form on the international stage.

Scholes has struggled lately for England and has found his place under threat by the form of Frank Lampard.

The Manchester United star drew another blank against Japan on Tuesday, but Beckham knows that Scholes will soon be back to his best.

"It doesn't concern Paul at all," said Beckham.

"He would like to score more for England, but he is still scoring for Manchester United, so it's not as if he is a total goal drought and, if he sticks one in against France, I think people will soon forget about all the England games he has not scored in."

Beckham welcomed the appearance of Brian Kidd at England's training, as he recovers from illness.

"Kiddo means a lot to all the United lads and all the England lads and it is a shame he's not here for the (European) Championship, but it is nice for him to come here," added Beckham.

The Real Madrid midfielder also revealed he is glad to be back among his former Manchester United team-mates while on international duty.

"Seeing Gary (Neville), Phil (Neville), Scholes and Nicky Butt, these players I have spent so much time with is always good and it is good to come back to Manchester and see people and spend time with friends," added Beckham.

"I spoke to Gary all the way through the season and it was hard for both of us, as it was the first time I had played in a different team without him and I missed him, but not missing him too much because I have spent a few days with him, but seriously we are all great friends," joked Beckham.

Source

I really hope Scholes will not let England down.

I know you're a Chelsea fan, but come on ... no Steven Gerrard?

Madness.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Theres a bit of bias, and then theres stupidity, that suggestion breaches the lines of stupidity and then farts on them. Steven Gerrard is one of the better players in the England squad, I don't care who you support but taking him out is like making bread without flour, its not intelligent lets put it that way.

Quoted for emphasis.

Source

I really hope Scholes will not let England down.

Yes and opviously if you was Sven, you would be going out in the group stages with that midfield. Parker and Cole can go to hell as much as I'm concerned, and Lampard isn't one of my favourite players either. All I have seen is how Scholes is going to let England down, but if its anyone, its god forbidden Rooney. The midfield is solid, worry about the strike force. On the midfield though, if I was Sven I wouldn't even have Lampard starting. I would choose to take either Wright Phillips or Jenas. Play Scholes and Gerrard in the centre posistions and then Jenas or Phillips on the left and Beckham on the right, thats just me though.

Either way at this rate, Henry and Trezerguet are going to be having a field day. Fan of Lampard or not, if he plays in a defensive role against France, he will be put to shame. He is no match for the likes of Zidane, Henry or Pires. Get bloody Gerrard in the defensive role instead.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

Against Iceland today, we are going to play a flat 4-4-2, with Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes in midfield. Means no more defensive midfield role for Lampard. If it works, it should be good. Thats the best we can play IMO.

And Butt should play for England? Butt has a knack of playing well for his country? Exactly how many England games do you watch? Butt hasn't played well for England - no wait, hasn't played well period since the Argentina match 2 years ago! Butt is piss poor.

I say give Robinson a chance in goal, as James is the luckiest player to play for England twice. Ian Walker however, is a bigger joke.

Anyway, back to midfield, Beckham, Gerrard, Scholes and Lampard is fine. If we need a defensive midfielder, I say play Hargreaves. Ahead of Scholes. Scholes is a great player, but isn't on form, whilst Lampard is. In short then:

Normal Midfield:

Beckham--------Gerrard--------Lampard--------Scholes

Defensive Diamond (if needed)

--------Hargreaves--------

Beckham----------------Gerrard

--------Lampard--------

* To be honest, Gerrard and Lampard are interchangable there

OR Gerrard at the base of the diamond, Beckham right, Lampard/Scholes left and Lampard/Scholes at the top, in the attacking position.

And Beattie hasn't been given the chance to prove he can play for England. He looked good aginst Leichenstein when he started with Owen and Rooney, and looked good against Australia when started with Owen. His only other appearances have been late sub appearances where he was had about 5 mins top on the pitch, and has usually been paired with Heskey in those situations, so he hasn't had the chance to prove himself.

Rooney is good, but not good enough yet, we shouldn't rest all our hopes on him. Has great potential though. Heskey is ok, but gets picked far too much. Vassell is great for the last 20 mins or so - to bring on and use his pace when the opposition are getting tired. Always plays well for England too.

Thats also why Beattie deserves his chance. He has a goal scoring record as good as, if not better than any other England striker (maybe not Owen, but i'm not sure), and for a worse team. His scoring record is brilliant and over the past two seasons has scored more goals than any other English striker (maybe again not Owen, not sure). In short he deserves his chance. Someone told me he scored more Prem goals by Christmas then Heskey, Rooney and Vassell added. Not al too sure on that. If i've not made it clear enough, BEATTIE SHOULD BE GIVEN A CHANCE, AND IN THE SQUAD!

Plus, finally, we have a very good starting line-up, but after that very little else. If we get a few injuries/supsensions, we are buggered. If howver we stay injury free, we can do well. Should beat the group stage anyway. Getting to the semi's is very unlikely, but slightly possible, if we stay injury free and play well.

Edited by timmayy

Coming from an outsider (IRELAND!!!) I really think you should play Owen and Heskey up front if you want to achieve anything. I mean both Owen and Rooney play with the same styles whereas Heskey is good at headers and can set up goals for Owen. Well that's what I think.