Formula One 2012

Lineker

• Admin
Ross Brawn says a decision about Michael Schumacher's future in Formula 1 will be a tough one, as it awaits a final decision from Lewis Hamilton about his plans.

Hamilton is currently weighing up offers he has from Mercedes and McLaren, with both outfits now believed to be offering the same wages in a bid to win his services.

His final decision will have an impact on Schumacher's future, because if Hamilton elects to join Mercedes it will leave no space for the seven-time champion.

Brawn concedes that the situation is far from settled, and suggests the team is still aware of the benefits Schumacher brings despite his embarrassing exit from last weekend's Singapore Grand Prix.

Speaking about Schumacher's future on BBC Radio 5 Live on Thursday, Brawn said: "It's still under discussion, I'm afraid. I can't comment very much on that, but Michael's been a huge asset to the team, he's really taken us forward.

"I do think Michael contributes an awful lot, so I think the decision for Michael to stay or not continue is a difficult one. Obviously he's very involved in that decision, and discussions are ongoing at the moment."

Brawn said that it was possible a decision about who lines up alongside Nico Rosberg may not be made for some time, as he all but confirmed for the first time that the outfit was interested in Hamilton.

"I think any ambitious team looks at the top drivers and we're an ambitious team, but I think there's an awful lot of speculation," he said. "We will have some things to say in the next few weeks, next few months, and then all will become clear."

Thailand has moved a step closer hosting its first Formula 1 race after agreeing a deal in principle for a 2014 event.

After speculation earlier this year that the country was serious at bidding for an F1 race, a senior government official has revealed that he and representatives from Red Bull moved forward with their plans after meeting F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone in Singapore.

Kanokphand Chulakasem, governor of the Sports Authority of Thailand (SAT), said that the provisional plan agreed with Ecclestone was for a night race to be held in Bangkok as early as 2014.

"It will be a city race like in Singapore and Monaco. It will be a night race like the Singapore Grand Prix," he was quoted as saying by the Bangkok Post.

The discussions still have some way to go before becoming official, with Chulakasem stating that a race fee had yet to be agreed.

The Thai government has promised to fund 60 per cent of the total cost of the race, however, with the rest coming from local sponsors like Red Bull and Singha.

Red Bull driver Mark Webber attracted over 100,000 people during a street demo on the streets of Thailand in 2010.

• Admin
McLaren and Mercedes are among seven teams who have written to the FIA expressing 'concern' about future rules changes, AUTOSPORT can reveal.

Ahead of a crunch meeting of the FIA's World Motor Sport Council on Friday to discuss F1's path for the next few years, there have been growing worries about plans to change the way the sport is governed as well as the way cost controls are being implemented.

In particular, a move to have only six teams on the Formula 1 Commission, allied to an increase in entry fees and the failure to implement an FIA-controlled Resource Restriction Agreement, have left a number of outfits agitated.

Sources have revealed that seven teams - McLaren, Mercedes, Force India, Sauber, Caterham, Marussia, HRT - have sent a joint letter to Jean Todt urging him to understand their 'concerns' about the situation.

In regards to governance, amid talk that the current think tanks the Technical Working Group and Sporting Working Group could be disbanded as part of a move that will see teams have just six members on an 18-strong F1 Commission, they are worried that they may lose influence on rule stability.

In the letter, a copy of which has been seen by AUTOSPORT, they wrote: "The Teams ... accept there may be the need to review the composition and operation of an F1 Commission, but do not wish to diminish the authority of the Teams in such a forum.

"In relation to the structure of the revamped Formula One Commission from 2013 onwards, the Teams are concerned over the proposed composition, with a reduction from twelve Teams to only six. Retaining the status quo is the preferred option."

There is also some confusion as to why the FIA, at a time when it is urging teams to reduce costs, is proposing a dramatic increase in team's entry fees for 2013 - as first revealed by AUTOSPORT.

"At a time when the FIA and Teams are actively engaged in cost control, the Teams wish to repeat their concern at such a significant increase," stated the letter.

"Moreover, Team fees and Driver Super Licence fees should be kept separate, and not bundled together."

Regarding cost controls, the teams request that the FIA make a push to introduce rules that help keep expenditure under control – as well as ensure a voluntary RRA comes in for 2013.

"It is our understanding that 10 of the current entrants voted to implement the chassis FIA RRA in 2013 and that there was unanimous support for a chassis/power-unit cost limitations FIA RRA in 2014," they said.

"Under the circumstances therefore, we would like to support the full introduction of a chassis RRA and power-unit cost limitations in 2014, with a voluntary chassis RRA submission procedure to the FIA implemented for 2013."

The WMSC meeting is also expected to discuss the draft F1 calendar that has been put forward by Bernie Ecclestone, with an official provisional calendar likely to be agreed subject to a final ratification in December.

Formula 1 teams are still in the dark about how much it will cost them to enter next year's world championship, despite the FIA publishing its Sporting Regulations on Thursday.

Amid unease from some outfits about a dramatic rise in the entry fees for 2013, the matter remains the subject of contention - and the governing body has cast no further light in its latest documents.

The 2013 Sporting Regulations state that the fee is 'to be announced' at a later date and will need to be paid by November 1 – without any reference to the figure.

With teams having discussed the matter with F1 chiefs, AUTOSPORT understands that the latest proposal now put forward is for every team to pay an entry fee of £308,000, plus an additional £3,080 per point scored.

However, the constructors' champions will pay a premium of £3,700 per point.

That means Red Bull faces a hike in fees of the £245,000 that it paid this year, to more than £2.7 million for next season.

The total income from the entry fees for the FIA will be just under £10 million – with the FIA also believed to be close to agreeing a £15 million payment from F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone as part of a new Concorde Agreement.

As well as the entry fee confusion, it is also unclear about when the teams have to lodge their details, because the sporting regulations state that "applications to compete in the Championship may be submitted to the FIA during the period 30 June to 15 July inclusive of the year prior to the year to which the application relates on."

That date has already passed and there is no information on when a fresh deadline is.

No mid-season test

The Sporting Regulations also confirmed that there will be no mid-season test next year, after this year's run at Mugello, and have also for the first time made reference to what are the 'listed parts' that each team must design themselves.

In the past this has been enshrined in the secret Concorde Agreement, and its appearance has prompted suggestions that it could be a move by the FIA and Ecclestone to loosen the restrictions in the future to open the way for customer cars.

The FIA's World Motor Sport Council is meeting on Friday to rubber stamp further proposals for 2013 and beyond.

Formula 1 teams will have the option of fitting a special panel to their cars next year to help hide stepped noses, the FIA has confirmed.

Following discussions between teams to come up with a solution to the ugly designs that would not entail a big redesign for next year, motor racing's governing body has rubber stamped new rules that will allow a special 'modesty panel' to be fitted.

In a version of the 2013 regulations that was published by the FIA on Thursday, it provided details of the panel that can be fitted to help cover up the step change between the low noses and high chassis of the current generation of cars.

The new Article 3.7.9 of the Technical Regulations states: "With the exception of an optional, single piece, non-structural fairing of prescribed laminate (whose precise lay-up may be found in the Appendix to the regulations) which may not be more than 625mm above the reference plane at any point, no bodywork situated more than

1950mm forward of rear face of the cockpit entry template may be more than 550mm above the reference plane."

McLaren technical director Paddy Lowe said recently that the use of a panel was important because teams could just fit it over existing chassis designs, with some outfits reluctant to make big car changes for next year.

"We have agreed a rule that allows a 'modesty panel', which in effect means you can take the existing cars and exiting structures that have a step and put a cover there," he said at the Italian Grand Prix.

"The way it is managed is that the laminate and size of that panel is limited so that you cannot create an aero [advantage] out of it and also so that it plays no part in the forward impact."

The new technical regulations also include a clause that will outlaw the type of double DRS that Mercedes used since the start of the season.

Article 3.18 states that the moveable rear wing: "cannot be used to change the geometry of any duct, either directly or indirectly, other than the change to the distance between adjacent sections permitted by Article 3.10.2."

The rules do not make any reference to outlawing the type of double DRS that Lotus has pioneered, and which Mercedes is now working hard on.

BBC Sport are reporting that Hamilton will leave McLaren after signing to race for Mercedes from next season, and it'll be officially announced later today.

Lewis Hamilton is to leave McLaren after signing to race for Mercedes from next season.

The move, predicted by BBC Sport earlier this month, will be announced on Friday and will have huge repercussions throughout Formula 1.

It has forced Michael Schumacher out of Mercedes but it it is not clear whether the German Larry Zbyszko will go back into retirement or look for another team.

Sauber driver Sergio Perez has signed as Hamilton's replacement at McLaren.

Hamilton's decision is a huge blow to McLaren, who will now have to do without the speed and inspirational talent of a man they have nurtured since he was 13 years old.

Edited by Starvinho

I'm happier for Sergio Perez, to be honest. The man deserves a car that can battle for the Driver's Championship.

I can't see Hamilton being that patient considering Ross Brawn has pitched the team on possible advantages they'll have due to new regulations in 2014. We'll see, but there will be a lot of moaning next season for sure.

• Admin

Yup it's official. Huge news.

Lewis Hamilton is expected to confirm later on Friday that he will be moving to Mercedes next year.

After weeks of speculation about his future, Hamilton's decision to turn his back on the McLaren team that brought him into Formula 1 is set to finally be made official.

Although neither team is willing to comment on the news, or timing of any press statement, it is understood that his switch will become official before the end of the day.

Hamilton's move to Mercedes comes after intense discussions between his management team, XIX Entertainment and McLaren - with central issues believed to have related to both salary and personal sponsorship rights.

Earlier this week it emerged that McLaren had matched the reported £11 million per year basic wage offer made to Hamilton, although it is not clear if Mercedes subsequently upped its deal.

Hamilton's move to Mercedes, where he will race alongside Nico Rosberg, has cast doubts over the future of Michael Schumacher - who now looks set to face the decision of retiring or moving to another team like Sauber.

Schumacher's manager Sabine Kehm was seen in lengthy talks with Sauber at last weekend's Singapore Grand Prix, and there will be a vacancy with Sergio Perez set to become Hamilton's replacement at McLaren.

The Mexican, who has been labelled as not experienced enough for Ferrari, has impressed strongly at times this season and McLaren is likely to feel that it can harness his obvious talent.

McLaren remains committed to giving Lewis Hamilton every chance to fight for this year's championship, despite the Briton's exit from the team.

The Woking squad announced on Friday that Mexican Sergio Perez will replace Hamilton from next year, with Hamilton expected to be confirmed at Mercedes in the next hour.

Hamilton is currently fourth in the Formula 1 world championship, 52 points behind Fernando Alonso, with six races to go.

McLaren said it will do all it can to help Hamilton win the title, in spite of the 2008 champion's exit to a rival squad.

"While Sergio's career with McLaren will begin in earnest in Melbourne next year, his future team remains absolutely committed to fighting for, and providing every opportunity to both Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton to contest, the 2012 drivers' and constructors' world championships," said the team in a statement.

McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh paid tribute to Hamilton, who has scored 20 wins with the team during his six-year stint in Formula 1.

"It's entirely appropriate that I should take this opportunity to pass on our thanks to Lewis," said Whitmarsh.

"He wrote a huge chapter of his life and career with us, and was, and always will be, a fine member of an exclusive club: the McLaren world champions' club.

"It goes without saying that we all wish him well for the future, just as it also goes without saying that we hope and believe that Sergio, too, will become a member of that exclusive club before too long."

Lewis Hamilton's switch to Mercedes has been confirmed after McLaren announced that Sergio Perez is joining its squad for 2013.

Ahead of an official announcement from Mercedes about its driver line-up plans, McLaren ended weeks of speculation about Hamilton's plans with the Perez swoop.

Perez joins McLaren after two seasons in Formula 1 with Sauber, and a campaign where he has delivered three podium finishes so far, having come close to victory in the Malaysian Grand Prix.

The Mexican had been most strongly linked to a future at Ferrari, as part of its young driver programme, but its president Luca di Montezemolo said several times that he did not think the youngster was experienced enough for a team like Ferrari.

McLaren obviously feels differently, and believes that it can harness Perez's talent to fight for the world championship alongside Jenson Button in 2013.

Speaking about the multi-year agreement McLaren has signed with Perez, team principal Martin Whitmarsh said: "It was a string of giantkilling performances, a trio of podiums and a brilliant fastest lap in this year's Monaco Grand Prix that showed us that Sergio lacks nothing in terms of speed and commitment.

"We've been monitoring his progress carefully for some months - and, now that he's become part of the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team, our task will be to refine and develop his abilities as his career progresses over the coming years.

"Uniting Sergio alongside Jenson will give us a very broad base of driver ability. Jenson is one of motorsport's greatest ambassadors, and his unique blend of prodigious speed and canny racecraft makes him formidably well-armed to fight for victory on any grand prix circuit in the world.

"While Sergio is still developing his palette of skills, we're convinced that he's not only talented and quick, but also that he's willing and eager to learn.

"He's perfectly poised to develop into a world championship challenger. His addition to the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team provides us with the perfect two-pronged driver line-up for the new season."

Perez added: "I'm thrilled and delighted to have become a Vodafone McLaren Mercedes driver.

"The McLaren name is one of the greatest in the history of Formula 1. For more than 40 years, McLaren has been a team that every racing driver has aspired to drive for - I was brought up on the great stories of Ayrton Senna's many world championship triumphs for McLaren - and I'm truly honoured that they've chosen me to partner Jenson from 2013 onwards."

Sergio Perez says he feels ready for the step up to a championship-winning team like McLaren, despite having yet to win a grand prix.

The Mexican will line up alongside Jenson Button next year after Lewis Hamilton elected to leave the outfit to join Mercedes.

And although Ferrari said several times this year that it did not believe Perez was experienced enough for a top-line seat, the Mexican himself has no doubts he will do a good job from next year.

"I'm under no illusion that it is indeed a very big step - as it would be for any driver – but I'm ready for it," said Perez.

"So, while I'm still fully focused on doing my best for Sauber for the remainder of this season, I'm already massively looking forward to working with everyone at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, and with Jenson, who's someone I've long admired as a brilliant driver and a great champion."

Perez also thanked the individuals who had helped him achieve his dreams of racing for a top team like McLaren – including current boss Peter Sauber and long-time backer Carlos Slim.

"I am, and always will be, extremely grateful to Peter [sauber] and everybody at the Sauber Formula 1 team for their belief in me, and for giving me the chance to race in Formula 1," he said.

He added: "I'd like to thank Carlos Slim Jr, who has helped me since I was 14 years old, without whom I wouldn't be where I am today.

"Our journey together over the past eight years has been an incredible one, and I'll do everything in my power to deliver with Vodafone McLaren Mercedes the results that he and I have been working so hard and so long to achieve together."

• Admin
Mercedes has confirmed Lewis Hamilton has signed a three-year deal to drive for the German squad from next year.

The Briton, whose move was expected after McLaren announced Sergio Perez for 2013 earlier on Friday morning, will drive alongside Nico Rosberg, replacing seven-time champion Michael Schumacher at the team.

Mercedes did not specify what Schumacher's plans were.

Hamilton, who has been driving for McLaren since he made his debut in Formula 1 in 2007, said he needed a "fresh challenge".

"It is now time for me to take on a fresh challenge and I am very excited to begin a new chapter racing for the Mercedes Formula 1 team," said Hamilton.

"Mercedes-Benz has such an incredible heritage in motorsport, along with a passion for winning which I share.

"Together, we can grow and rise to this new challenge. I believe that I can help steer the Silver Arrows to the top and achieve our joint ambitions of winning the world championships."

Hamilton's career has been supported by Mercedes and McLaren for many years, having driven with Mercedes-Benz engines in the Formula 3 Euro Series and during his whole F1 career at the Woking team.

"I am delighted to welcome Lewis Hamilton to our team," said Mercedes boss Ross Brawn. "The arrival of a driver of Lewis' calibre is a testament to the standing of Mercedes-Benz in Formula 1 and I am proud that Lewis shares our vision and ambition for the success of the Silver Arrows.

"I believe that the combination of Lewis and Nico will be the most dynamic and exciting pairing on the grid next year, and I am looking forward to what we can achieve together."

Rosberg and Hamilton were team-mates in 2000 at TeamMBM.com in Formula A karting.

After the news was announced, Rosberg tweeted: "Very cool that Lewis will be my new team-mate! Going to be another great challenge."

By AUTOSPORT F1 editor Edd Straw

With the signing of Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes now has everything... except excuses. In almost three full seasons since the marque returned to F1 as a works team having acquired the Brawn squad, it has produced one victory among a lot of underachievement.

In an interview with AUTOSPORT just before the launch of its 2012 car, team principal Ross Brawn stated that "third has got to be the minimum. Anything less would be a failure." So by its own terms of reference, Mercedes has failed this year.

Realistically, Hamilton has to write off winning the title next year, but if the potential of the Brackley team can be fully realised and Mercedes produces the kind of V6 turbocharged engine straight out of the box that it's capable of, Hamilton could be perfectly placed for 2014.

But Hamilton has still rolled the dice on a perennially underachieving team delivering. Like all good gambles, if it pays off, he wins big. 'If' being the operative word.

Michael Schumacher's future in Formula 1 remains uncertain after the German was replaced by Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes.

The seven-time champion, who returned to grand prix racing in 2010 following a three-year absence from the sport, said he was focusing on the next races with the team.

The German, 43, has been rumoured to be in talks with Sauber, but said he was uncommitted on his future plans.

"I have had three nice years with the team which unfortunately did not go as well as we all would have wanted on the sporting side," Schumacher said.

"I wish Lewis well and for the team to achieve the success we worked so hard for in the build-up. I would like to thank the team for their trust and all the guys for their unconditional commitment. I will now concentrate on the next races."

Mercedes team boss Ross Brawn thanked Schumacher for his contribution during his three-year stint at the Brackley-based squad.

"On behalf of Mercedes, I would first of all like to thank Michael Schumacher for the important contribution he has made to the growth of our team over the past three seasons," said Brawn.

"His energy and commitment have never wavered, even when results have not matched our own expectations, and we are determined to finish the 2012 season together on a high. As always, it has been a pleasure to work with Michael."

Niki Lauda is to join Mercedes in a management role as part of a renewed push by the German car manufacturer to win the championship after the arrival of Lewis Hamilton.

With the Mercedes road car company having looked deeply at the structure and resources of its F1 team, and considered its commitment before signing a new Concorde Agreement, the outfit announced on Friday that Lauda is a play a role with the team - as was reported by AUTOSPORT earlier this week.

The three-time world champion recently acted as a go-between in the discussions between Mercedes and Bernie Ecclestone over the Concorde, and speculation about a formal role with the outfit emerged in Singapore last weekend.

A statement by Mercedes said that Lauda will "bring his extensive experience to the role of non-executive chairman of the team's board of directors, further reinforcing the strength in depth at Mercedes AMG Petronas."

Team principal Ross Brawn said that the arrival of Hamilton, allied to a staffing restructure and fresh commitment from the Mercedes board, was a promising sign for the future.

"Over the past three years, we have been putting in place the foundations and building blocks that are needed to compete regularly for the world championship," he said.

"Behind the scenes, we have assembled a team that is technically stronger, more experienced and better resourced, thanks to the support of Petronas and all of our loyal team partners.

"The potential is now there to match any other team on the grid, which is the minimum standard for a Mercedes-Benz works team. Our task is now to translate that potential into on-track performance for next season and beyond."

Holy shit that's big news to wake up to. Honestly didn't see Sergio going to McLaren simply because of the Ferrari link, but really happy for him. Michael going to Sauber would be a huge shock though.

Makes you think that Ferrari might keep Massa too...

Don't be silly, Schumi's got more chance of being at Ferrari next season. :P

Paul Di Resta to Ferrari! He at least sounds Italian.

Mercedes is awful, which means Hamilton won't be up there at all next year. GO PEREZ!

I hope Australia can sort it's shit out with the F1. I think the biggest issue is, Australia is so isolated, and so expensive. It is so much cheaper for me to go to the Malaysian Grand Prix, then it is the Melbourne Grand Prix.

I'm happy that Perez will be replacing Hamilotn, I think he's a real talent and McLaren have done a good bit of business there by getting in a considerably cheaper driver without necessarily sacrificing much quality wise.

• Admin
Although Force India has done well this year on the race tracks, there are still very serious worries about the team’s future funding because of difficulties that its two owners – Vijay Mallya and Roy Subrata Sahara – have run into.

Mallya’s deeply-indebted Kingfisher Airlines – which owes an estimated $1.4 billion – is now facing ever-deeper trouble. This morning a number of Kingfisher pilots in Mumbai decided to join the strike called by the company’s engineers, who are complaining that their salaries have not been paid in seven months. The Indian Directorate General of Civil Aviation says it is “examining the situation” and will decide whether it is safe for the airline to continue to operate flights. Almost all the shares in Kingfisher Airlines have been pledged to guarantee loans, many of them to other companies in the Mallya empire, but also to banks. Some of the debts have been sold on to other financial institutions. It has been clear for some time that Mallya has been running out people willing to loan him money. No-one appears to want to buy into the airline and thus there is strain on other companies in the empire. The local offshoot of the credit rating agency Moody’s has in recent days reduced the rating on the loans to Mallya’s United Spirits to junk status. This will increase the pressure on Mallya to sell the profitable liquor business to Diageo. The British firm is playing a canny game at the moment and says it wants control of the Indian business, or at least to be able to have a way to gain control in the future. Mallya is baulking at that but he seems to be running out of options. Even if he sells some of his stake in United Spirits, Mallya will not have enough money to pay Kingfisher’s debts, although it might allow him to find banks willing to keep the airline afloat.

In the meantime Sahara is also in significant trouble. At the end of August the Supreme Court of India ordered the company to pay a thumping $5 billion to the Securities and Exchange Board of India within three months, in order for the Sahara investor to be refunded. In addition the court ruled that investors should be paid 15 percent interest for each year. This means that the full extent of the repayment should be in the region of $10 billion. That money will be deposited in a nationalized bank that offers the maximum rate of interest and will then be repaid to investors. If this money is not paid the regulator has the right to seize and sell property and freeze all Sahara bank accounts. The firm was ordered to furnish the regulator with all the appropriate records by September 10, which it failed to do.

It is not clear where all this leaves the F1 team. It will need a solid budget to continue its activities and to fund its technology deals with Mercedes-Benz and with McLaren, not to mention the operational costs. There have been rumours for some time that the team is up for sale, but it seems that Mallya wants to remain involved so as to retain his image of being the leader of Indian motorsport. Whether the team can find someone who is willing to pay for that is another matter.

- Joe Saward

• Admin
Jenson Button will have a five-place grid penalty for the Japanese Grand Prix because he needs a new gearbox for the Suzuka weekend, AUTOSPORT can reveal.

The Briton returns to the scene of his brilliant victory 12 months ago, 75 points adrift of championship leader Fernando Alonso, and well aware that only a victory will keep alive his slim title hopes.

But he has already been given some bad news, with post-race investigations of his gearbox after the Singapore GP uncovering an identical gearbox problem to that which had put Lewis Hamilton out of the race.

McLaren has no option but to change Button's gearbox for a new one, which means he will be moved down five places on the grid.

Hamilton will also be fitted with a new gearbox, but he will not suffer any penalty as he did not finish the last race.

McLaren technical director Paddy Lowe told AUTOSPORT: "Jenson's gearbox had the same problem as Lewis's gearbox during the Singapore Grand Prix, and subsequent investigation has revealed a terminal failure.

"Therefore both cars must start the Japanese Grand Prix with new gearboxes, which means that Jenson will receive a five-place penalty.

"Of course, this is a great disappointment for Jenson and the team. On the positive side, we have understood and completely resolved the issue, allowing both drivers to compete with confidence for podium positions."

Hamilton heads to the Japanese GP 52 points behind Alonso, with six races remaining in this year's title battle.

Greece has unblocked nearly 30 million euros for the construction of a circuit capable of hosting a Formula 1 grand prix.

According to the ministry of development, the circuit will be built in Xalandritsa, near Patras, Greece's third largest urban area in the hope the country can host a Formula 1 event in the future.

The total cost of the track will be 94.6 million euros, according to Bloomberg, with private company Racetrack Patras SA to oversee the project.

Greece's economy remains in deep recession, with figures showing it contracted by 6.2 per cent in the second quarter of 2012.

In August the coalition government agreed fresh spending cuts totalling more than 11billion euros in order to qualify for the next instalment of its 130billion loan from international creditors.

Greece, which hosts a round of the World Rally Championship, has never had a Formula 1 driver.

• Admin

Here's the retirement speech he gave in full:

It is probably not a complete surprise to explain a little bit on how my thoughts are on this. Basically I have decided to retire by the end of the year.

Although I am still able and capable to compete with the best drivers that are around, at some point it is good to say goodbye - and that is what I am doing this season. This time it might even be forever.

During the past month, I was not sure if I still had the motivation and energy which is necessary to go on. It is not my style to do something that I am not 100 per cent feeling for. With today's decision, I feel released from those doubts and in the end my ambition to fight for victories and the pleasure of driving is nourished by competitiveness.

It is without doubt that we did not achieve our goals to develop a world championship fighting car. But it is also very clear that I can still be very happy about my overall achievements in the whole time of my career.

In the past six years I have learned a lot about myself. For example, that you can open yourself without losing focus. That losing can be both more difficult and more instructive than winning. Sometimes I lost sight of this in the early years. But you appreciate to be able to do what you love to do. That you should live your convictions and I was able to do so.

I would obviously like to thank Daimler, Mercedes-Benz, the team, the engineers, and all my mechanics for all the trust that they put in those years in to myself. But I would also like to thank all of my friends, partners and companions who over many years in motor sport supported myself.

But most of all I would like to thank Corinna, and my family for standing always by my side, giving me the freedom to live my conviction and share my joy. That is very special.

I would like now to concentrate until the end of the season for the last races, and enjoy them together with you. Let's have fun.

Thank you.

The time was right.

Also, both Force India drivers has refused to coment on supposed talks with Ferrari. The belief is that the Italians want to replace Massa with either Hulkenberg or di Resta for a single season before approaching Sebastian Vettel for 2014.