8th Generation Consoles

Benji

I dunno if they still use it, but at one point UbiSoft was using a form of DRM that, if youi weren't connected to the Internet, your game wouldn't work. Take your laptop on vacation, wanna play the game but don't have an Internet connection? Too bad..your outta luck

Ubi claimed they would back off from this DRM, but the debacle with the PC version of "From Dust" shows they really have no intention of doing so.

Meanwhile, Blizzard shows their Activision-infused idiocy by featuring always-connected DRM to Diablo 3. While Blizz's reasoning makes a bit more sense than Ubi's "YOU'RE ALL HEATHENS!" stance, it's still a step in the wrong direction.

Edit: Blizz's reasoning for the DRM, by the by, is because the game will feature drop-in/drop-out style co-op play and the auction house, which will feature items from all players, not just in your game world. Why they don't simply allow you to play solo and not access the AH if there's no internet connection, I've no idea.

Edit #2: And now Sony's Mr. Kaz "Not-Quite-President-Yet' Hirai says there will be no PS4 at E3 '12.

Edited by The Midget

Sony has no need to reveal a PS4 yet, consumers just caught up to the technology of the PS3. It's not like the frst 2 incarnations where after a year or two they already were starting to feel obsolete. PS3 cost as much as it did on launch because Sony was banking on keeping this system around for the long haul.

I don't think there's any rush to get out a new generation of consoles just yet. I've seen Skyrim on both PC (with maxed out graphics) and 360, and there really isn't that much of a difference to warrant a hardware upgrade, unless you're really into HDR lighting or SSAO shadows or whatnot.

What I would like, however, would be cross-platform modding support, perhaps akin to an app store or something. There's plenty of great user-made content out there that can extend a game's shelf life for years, and it would be nice to see them get some support on consoles, as unlikely as that would be.

I don't think there's any rush to get out a new generation of consoles just yet. I've seen Skyrim on both PC (with maxed out graphics) and 360, and there really isn't that much of a difference to warrant a hardware upgrade, unless you're really into HDR lighting or SSAO shadows or whatnot.

What I would like, however, would be cross-platform modding support, perhaps akin to an app store or something. There's plenty of great user-made content out there that can extend a game's shelf life for years, and it would be nice to see them get some support on consoles, as unlikely as that would be.

I don't think user content will ever be a huge selling point on consoles since it could dramatically eat into DLc revenue