8th Generation Consoles

Benji

I want less emphasis on motion gaming, for sure.

I would also like for my 360 achievements to carry over to the Xbox 4, and for them to keep the exact same controller style...it's perfect in my eye.

And...backwards compatibility.

this.

I really don't see the need for new gen consoles yet. I don't care for the motion stuff/3D or blu-ray. thus why 360 is still fine to me. I couldn't get into wii, too gimmicky. I loved Nintendo as a kid but it seems I've just lost interest.

Please no. Got to keep the physical copies. I hate this 'online manual' shit. It's no good sticking a manual off the menu in the game when I want to refer to it during actual gameplay, and I can't because I'd have to exit out of what I'm doing. Instead of just pausing, turning to my right and picking up the freaking booklet. Are people that damn lazy nowadays that they would prefer to not have to move 5 inches and use their eyes to physically read a piece of paper rather than access it on a menu on the television screen that they're already gluing their eyes to all the time?

Next I'll be demanding the return of spinning tops!

They actually did away with manuals to be more environmentally friendly as well so that they could reduce costs.

• Like 1

Nothing will ever replace the pleasure of reading a game manual on the toilet.

I just went to the bathroom...I have 8 game manuals in there.. :shifty:

The return of cartridge gaming!

blowing on cartridges for hours to get a game to work for 10 minutes before freezing and making you have to restart from level 1 with 3 lives all over again!

Yeah, but that was only the NES games. 16-Bit on it never seemed to have that problem.

• Like 1

Please no. Got to keep the physical copies. I hate this 'online manual' shit. It's no good sticking a manual off the menu in the game when I want to refer to it during actual gameplay, and I can't because I'd have to exit out of what I'm doing. Instead of just pausing, turning to my right and picking up the freaking booklet. Are people that damn lazy nowadays that they would prefer to not have to move 5 inches and use their eyes to physically read a piece of paper rather than access it on a menu on the television screen that they're already gluing their eyes to all the time?

...most manuals that I have seen are on the same pause menu you would've had to go onto anyways. Please.

They actually did away with manuals to be more environmentally friendly as well so that they could reduce costs.

I believe one of those two reasons to be true. I love manuals. I don't understand how you are going to deter pirates by offering the exact same thing that they can pirate. The manual made me want to own the game more than any other thing. Now if you pirate a game you get the exact same thing as if you don't. All you miss out on a cover you can copy and print.

Said it before and I'll say it again, they better not call it the Xbox 720, sounds fucking stupid.

Oh and I agree with everything Dragsy said about Xbox Live, in the 8 months or so that I had a PS3, the only good thing I felt PSN had was the TV integration and now Xbox has that.

Oh and trolling on home :shifty:

I'm mostly into RPGs so I'm not that big on graphics or motion controls. I know that they won't lower prices at all, but I really hope the advent of exclusive pre-order DLC will go away. Why should Gamestop and Amazon have different versions of DLC extras that I have to choose from on top of a $65 price tag? I generally try to wait for the "ultimate edition" of games anyway, but I just think it's ridiculous how certain games have $50+ of DLC and certain items can only be obtained if you order a game from a specific website before you even know if the game is going to be a steaming turd or not.

Xbox Live is far, far superior to PSN, and I'd be happy to pay for it. Cross-game chat, the Arcade, actually staying connected for more than twenty minutes at a time, not being attacked and down for months at a time, well worth it.

As for new consoles, I would hope for continuity with my current profiles, backwards compatibility and support to an extent (I won't be buying any new console on day one, see). Less dashboard advertising would be nice, but doubtful. It'd also be nice if everything were region free.

I had to step back and give this some thought. Fact is, I rarely play online. So PSN fills everything I need. Connection has been constant (honestly, aside from the hacking, I've never randomly dropped connection, regardless of wired/wireless), the store is fine (though to nitpick, I could use more sales), and I don't need to know every little thing about what someone's doing online. Facebook/Twitter integration is mercifully not prevalent if you don't want it to be.

XBL, admittedly, is meant for the people who want constant interaction and information. There's more a sense of competition and camaraderie, whereas PSN is relatively barebones. Though both feature numerous streaming services, so it's really a comparison of multiplayer game experiences, where XBL is geared towards.

TL;DR: I prefer PSN for the same reason I generally play MMOs solo.

It doesn't feel like we need a new Playstation though. I remember them originally saying that they believed PS3 would last a decade which is still 4 more years. I still think there's at least one more "mini generation" update for the console. We had the early games, now the "let's see what the console can do" and I reckon there's still scope for the "let's push this to the limit" games. Still, developers are always needing to develop. Hope they don't rush it though as I've got far too many games to go buying a PS4 any time soon.

I hate to start that conversation about Xbox Live Vs. PSN (so let's not), I definitely have my problems with PSN and I'll admit it's not great, but let's not act like the 360's online is flawless. My younger brother has had his accounts stolen like three times and Microsoft have never been exactly helpful with it. And people talk about the community... the 360 doesn't have a better community at all. They're both filled with screaming children, the only difference is that most people on PSN don't bother with mics. Fuck, I mute everyone that's not a friend as soon as I get into an online game anyway.

Many were expecting Microsoft to come out on stage at E3 with some information about the new Xbox, but Sony's reveal would be more surprising, as a new console at this stage in the PlayStation 3's life cycle would fly in the face of the company's stated "ten-year plan".

As much as I love to give Sony shit, I don't see how this is true at all. There's no way PS4 hits American shelves before Holiday 2013, which would be 7 years into its life. The PS2 was supported for three more years after the PS3 released, hell, they're STILL releasing sports games on it.

2013 is a perfectly reasonable time for Sony and Microsoft to release new consoles and it will be one of the largest gaps in console history. I just hope the tech leap can support things like better AI and bigger games because I don't think graphics really can't get that much better at this point.

I wonder what Sony will do. PS2 had great games and DVD, PS3 had BRD and someday caught up with great games (the early years were pritty weak and the BluRay player became the only reason people cared for a while)... PS4 likely has no special media going for it and if they take as long as they did with PS3 to get a ton of great games per year out on the marked, i don´t know how they will do. Maybe they try to push more in a 3d direction to get their 3d System to be the one that dominates the marked, by the time the console is ready to be soled TVs should be at a good price. But on the other hand, 3D already feels like i´s going away, no idea if anyone will care by that point. For gaming it could be nice because of the non splitscreen local multiplayer... i think there is a TV comming by toshiba that suports no glasses 3D for seven viewers or something like that. So there might be something happening in that direction.

I shure hope they let us play our PSN Titles.

I wonder if companys will try to compeed with apple. What the iPad and Apple TV are going basicly already is Wii-U like (see games like Real Raceing 2)... and they are catching up fairly fast with putting a new CPU in their latest model every year. - Same for OnLive... stream gaming for the "high end Tech" areas of the EU, Asia and America?

There's going to be a huge push for digital distribution this gen, since it'll cut out used sales, piracy, etc... I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony try to make themselves the iTunes of gaming. Of course it would blow up in their face like PSPGo did, but for every Blu-ray they manage to push on us, they have a Betamax.

But I really don't see this being a huge innovation generation though. I suspect mostly building on existing tech and trying to perfect them - online, motion control, digital sales, etc.

• Like 1