Monty Python to reunite

Lineker

• Admin
Monty Python's surviving members are set to reform for a new film, Terry Jones has announced.

Jones told Variety that he will direct the sci-fi movie, which is called Absolutely Anything.

The 69-year-old confirmed that John Cleese, Terry Gilliam and Michael Palin have joined the project, while he is still hopeful to sign Eric Idle.

Hollywood actor Robin Williams has also been cast as an intelligent talking dog called Dennis.

"It's not a Monty Python picture, but it certainly has that sensibility," he said.

Absolutely Anything will be made in CGI, with the Monty Python crew voicing a group of aliens who grant a human being immense power, leading to chaos.

Life of Brian's Mike Medavoy will produce the piece, based on a 20-year-old script developed by Jones and Gavin Scott.

"Terry and Gavin have crafted a classic farce - something I feel I know a little bit about after all the Pink Panther pictures we did with Blake Edwards at United Artists," Medavoy said.

"In fact, the movie even has a pompous Frenchman reminiscent of Inspector Clouseau - but there the similarity ends. Like all projects originated by any of the Monty Python guys, Absolutely Anything delightfully defies a logline."

1998 was the last time the surviving troupe members appeared together, at the Aspen Comedy Festival.

Last year, Cleese joined up with Palin, Jones and Gilliam to record dialogue for the late Graham Chapman biopic A Liar's Autobiography, but Idle did not take part.

:w00t:

• Like 1

I'm slightly dubious...on one hand, I was all but jumping for joy when I initially read this, as I grew up obsessed with Monty Python, I used to be able to pretty much recite Holy Grail word-for-word.

The problem, though, is that I don't have a lot of confidence in a twenty-year old sci-fi script by Terry Jones exactly being the right material for them. I like Terry Jones, but he's a patchy writer at best, and I'd assume that if the script wasn't picked up twenty years ago, there may well be a good reason for that...

Also, Eric Idle still hasn't agreed to it, so the press are a little overzealous on the "reunion" reports, but even just the rest of them is good enough news for me.

I´ed love to see them write something new by themselfs. I absolutely love their work, but in recent years it´s just been the name or repackaging of their old gags. (like the musical for example)

You can´t blame them for gaining cash, but still i´ed love to see them writing something new since i am shure they still could.

I honestly did not understand the structure of that sentence at all.

I think what he's trying to do is call you out on accusing all Monty Python fans of being overly obnoxious, because "you'd think a fanbase as big as their's would have more than one type of person in it". Because, you know, that was totally your point.

• Like 3

I honestly did not understand the structure of that sentence at all.

I think what he's trying to do is call you out on accusing all Monty Python fans of being overly obnoxious, because "you'd think a fanbase as big as their's would have more than one type of person in it". Because, you know, that was totally your point.

You have received a +1 for your translation.

In that case, no Matz, I am not accusing all Python fans of being obnoxious, I was pointing out that I have encountered a lot of fans who find it to be the be all and end all of comedy, and hype it into oblivion. This is the same effect as things like teenage girls on Twilight and Justin Bieber, you hate them more because of the annoying fans, not the original material.

Fortunately for Python, it doesn't gain hate from me, because it is genuinely funny - just not as funny as those aforementioned people (not all people) I have met would make out it is. I hope that clarifies things for you and you can go about your daily business knowing that it's not because you like Monty Python that you are an annoyance. You're an annoyance for a lot of other reasons, but not that.

I'll have my warning now :)