Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Guest Kliq Masterson

And I agree with the report I read which said that although Arsenal may not be full of English players, they are a product of the English football regime which should be commended as such. Oh, and I also agree with the report about how much a man of dignity and respect Arsene Wenger is.

And I agree with the report I read which said that although Arsenal may not be full of English players, they are a product of the English football regime which should be commended as such. Oh, and I also agree with the report about how much a man of dignity and respect Arsene Wenger is.

Do you have any links to these? I'd like to see them, out of pure curiosity. That and I'd like to see how Wenger is man of dignity and respect >_>

Two things that spring to mind immediatly are offering to replay the match against Sheffield United, and also saying that should Tottenham finish fourth this season, they should be in the Champions League regardless of whether win it. Whether that's 'dignity and respect', it shows class. Something Jol didn't show when Eboue and Gilberto clashed into one another and shouted "play play play".

Do you have any links to these? I'd like to see them, out of pure curiosity. That and I'd like to see how Wenger is man of dignity and respect >_>

Nah, I read them in the newspaper. The first one was basically stating that in a cut-throat league like Spain and Italy, he wouldn't have been given the chance to rebuild after Arsenal started under-performing, or allowed to build his side for the future in the same manner, he'd have been out the second they started failing. The same reporter also mentioned in one of his other reports about how commendable Jol has been as well this season, which I definitely agree on.

And alldawson, I've actually thought that Spurs probably deserved fourth spot over Arsenal, because Arsenal have been poor this season, and Spurs have really lifted thier game. I was glad they didn't, but I think that Spurs are actually pretty good this season, and I'm a big fan of Martin Jol's. I'm shooting down stupid comments such as Nolan not being as good as Jenas, or the "OMG ARSENAL RNT ENGLUSH" comments which I used to be a part of as well, admittedly, but are stupid.

And I honestly think that Arsenal will finish ahead of you next season. You have a good, young side, but so do Arsenal, and so do teams like West Ham for that matter. Arsenal just have better quality in thier youngsters than both sides do. You've had a good season, no doubt, but one good season doesn't make you suddenly a top 6 team. With a lot of your finishes in the last 10 years of the Prem being around mid-table or lower, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to see you back down in mid-table next season, as this could have just been punching above your weight. It is the same with other teams like Blackburn, who have had a good season but may struggle to maintain it next season, especially as they are usually a mid table side and have punched above thier weight as well.

Tottenham have written to the Premier League to ask if they can replay Sunday's game against West Ham.

Ten Tottenham players were hit by food poisoning before the 2-1 defeat, which ended Spurs' hopes of playing in next year's Champions League.

"Our match at West Ham was effectively a cup final," said Spurs chairman Daniel Levy in an open letter to Premier League chairman Dave Richards.

"Our chances were significantly reduced by the exceptional circumstances."

Levy added that Tottenham's cause was supported by other clubs and he was expecting to be granted a replay.

Our governing body put us in an impossible situation and gave a significant advantage to Arsenal

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy

The Premier League board will convene and discuss the contents of Tottenham's letter

A Premier League spokesman

He added: "We now have confirmation from a majority of Premier League clubs that they would support a replay and in similar circumstances would expect the game to have been postponed.

"We therefore formally request that you order that the game be replayed."

Tottenham needed to match Arsenal's result against Wigan to finish above their rivals and secure fourth spot in the league.

That would have enabled them next season to take part in qualifying for the Champions League - a competition they have never been in.

But defeat combined with Arsenal's 4-2 win over Wigan left Spurs in fifth and a place in the Uefa Cup instead.

The Premier League said Spurs could delay the match until later in the day to give their players time to recover from illness, but would not allow the game to be played on another day.

However the police said they would not sanction a kick off time after 1700 BST - only two hours after was game was due to begin.

Levy continued: "In being given no viable option to postpone the match other than a two-hour delay to kick-off, our players were denied the possible opportunity of competing in the Champions League.

"Also, our fans have been left with a sense of suspicion and injustice at the way subsequent events unfolded.

"We played the game with players who were unwell but who were desperate not to let their fans and colleagues down.

"Clearly, our governing body put us in an impossible situation and gave a significant advantage to Arsenal in competing for that fourth position.

"The Premier League was inconsistent in its approach in being prepared to consider the kick-off to be delayed but not allowing the match to be played on a different day."

A Premier League spokesman said: "Tottenham fulfilled their fixture and as far as the Premier League is concerned the result stands.

"However, the Premier League board will convene and discuss the contents of Tottenham's letter."

Probe into Spurs illness outbreak

Food samples from the Marriott Hotel in east London where Spurs stayed before the West Ham game are being tested by health authorities.

An official criminal investigation has not been launched.

I also don't think the match should be replayed, to be honest. It was allowed to go on due to Spurs having enough players to play the match, and thats the way it works. Middlesborough got docked points for cancelling a match before, so it would be unfair to have one rule for one, and one for another team.

Edited by rvdwannabe

It's verging on desperate now.

Other clubs have had injury crisis' this season, but no other clubs are asking for games to be replayed. At one stage we had EIGHT defenders out injured - alongside injuries in other positions. We didn't ask for replays, we just put out 11 players that were fit (some out of position) and played the games.

Spurs could have chosen to play unaffected players, but they put out their "ill" players. They knew before the game they would need to match or better Arsenal's result and should have put out a team to reflect that, players that were fit enough to get the job done.

The FA already said the match shouldn't be cancelled/postponed, but if it's rearranged then effectively that's what's happened....

Yeah, I read an article that said if games were suspended due to injuries to first team players then Arsenal wouldn't have played since January. It's unfair on West Ham to play it (not only because they can beat Spurs anyway) but because of the FA Cup Final, there's simply not time.

Other clubs have had injury crisis' this season, but no other clubs are asking for games to be replayed. At one stage we had EIGHT defenders out injured - alongside injuries in other positions. We didn't ask for replays, we just put out 11 players that were fit (some out of position) and played the games

There's a difference between players picking up injuries due to football and players being poisoned.

There's no guarantees that the poisoning was deliberate (and to be honest, I doubt it was), so in that case, it's exactly the same as being injured.

If a guy had two weeks off with a virus, he'd be classed as injured. So why shouldn't someone with food poisoning?

Personally I'd be happy to let the result stand.

That said I think the Board are entitled and obligated to protest the decision however they can.

I'm sure if it had been a normal fixture, and not on the last day of the season, that it could have been postponed: 10 first team players out AT THE SAME TIME is exceptional circumstances. I know other teams have had 'injury crisis' but not 10 players being hit with something at the same time. And forcing Spurs to play in their condition (which is what effectivly happened) DID give a significant advantage to West Ham, and in effect Arsenal in their league placing.

This would have forced Jol to change his game plan, Maybe he could have called up players from the reserves (though I'm not sure he could have at short notice, or on the rules regarding what players are eligible to play) I know Spurs usually travel with a squad of about 18 players, but if 10 were sick that only leaves 8 at 'full fitness'.

At the end of the day the Chairman is within his rights to protest, indeed he owes it to every fan who's bought a ticket, program, kit or watched a game on telly this season, it's his job to do the best for THFC and the plc. I don't expect it to get anywhere, but it's something that had to be done.

There's no guarantees that the poisoning was deliberate (and to be honest, I doubt it was), so in that case, it's exactly the same as being injured.

If a guy had two weeks off with a virus, he'd be classed as injured. So why shouldn't someone with food poisoning?

In that case, fine it's the same as being injured. I was talking from the point of it being foul play though.

You've had five months to secure fourth, now you just look desperate.

Shut up with that argument, it doesn't work. Arsenal had the same time to secure 4th, but they didn't do it either. It came down to the last game of the season which was amid controversy. There's no rule saying we should have already secured 4th spot before then.

• Admin

That said I think the Board are entitled and obligated to protest the decision however they can.

I'm sure if it had been a normal fixture, and not on the last day of the season, that it could have been postponed: 10 first team players out AT THE SAME TIME is exceptional circumstances. I know other teams have had 'injury crisis' but not 10 players being hit with something at the same time. And forcing Spurs to play in their condition (which is what effectivly happened) DID give a significant advantage to West Ham, and in effect Arsenal in their league placing.

Tell Middlesbrough that. They didn't want to play a weakened team due to a flu breakout against Blackburn in a "normal" game a few years back, and ended up being deducted 3 points for not fufilling the fixture. Which got them relegated.

As far as I'm concerned, it's what squads are for. As long as you can name 11 players, you can play the game. And if you don't think the players are up to it, well then you really shouldn't have named them in your first team squad should you.

Edited by Rabid Wolverine

You've had five months to secure fourth, now you just look desperate.

Shut up with that argument, it doesn't work. Arsenal had the same time to secure 4th, but they didn't do it either. It came down to the last game of the season which was amid controversy. There's no rule saying we should have already secured 4th spot before then.

You have to ask how ill they really were when 5 of the affected players managed 87 mins or more.

I don't doubt the food ppoisoning happened, but if it was really that bad they wouldn't be able to play football and would need frequent trips to the bathroom (even after the use of "medicinal aids")